Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo verses the New York Post
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Carruthers
Some guy at the New York Post figures out that Wikipedia is full of errors and makes fun of it in an amusing article....

Broadway runs east of Seventh Avenue north of 45th Street. Donald Trump owns an office building on Sixth Avenue. Lee Brown, the early 1990s police commissioner who presided over the highest murder rate in the city's history, was a hero in the war against crime.

In what otherwordly New York City can this be true? In the wacky world of Wikipedia, the engine of ignorance "compiled by volunteers" and masquerading as a legitimate reference work. Its unreliability is not exactly news - it's the bane of educators who must teach pupils not to trust it.

Jimbo doesn't see the joke and wants to write a rebuttal, probably :

A New York Post columnist has written a highly critical article about the state of Wikipedia and New York City. I wonder: how many of the errors he lists are actually our errors, and not his? In any event, the best response of Wikipedia to an article claiming errors is to fix the errors, so I hope bringing it to your attention is helpful and will provide a fun project for a couple of days. :-)

If someone makes a tally of the errors he mentions, and how many (a) we have now corrected and (cool.gif we have determined to have been right all along, and sends it to me, this would be much appreciated... --Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:08, 26 August 2008 (UTC)

The problem is: if the articles are so wrong in the first place, how are they going to figure out where the errors are??
Gold heart
QUOTE(Jimbo)

If someone makes a tally of the errors he mentions, and how many (a) we have now corrected and (cool.gif we have determined to have been right all along, and sends it to me, this would be much appreciated... --Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:08, 26 August 2008 (UTC)

Dear Jimbo,

I have a thousand errors for you to fix, and that's only the start. Bear with me some weeks and I'll have a couple of thousand more. And that's only the ones that I have noticed. Also, many errors are not errors at all, they are merely the results of pov-pushing. In any case Jimbo, I'll email them to you and I'll expect them fixed within the next few days.

Regards, G.H
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Wed 27th August 2008, 10:33pm) *

Dear Jimbo,

Actually, what is more worrying is that Jimbo clearly believes his own propaganda, that Wikipedia is accurate. And if it isn't accurate, it was just about to be fixed. And what do experts know anyway?
ThurstonHowell3rd
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 27th August 2008, 2:51pm) *

Dear Jimbo,

Actually, what is more worrying is that Jimbo clearly believes his own propaganda, that Wikipedia is accurate. And if it isn't accurate, it was just about to be fixed. And what do experts know anyway?

No, it is worse. If someone complains that Wikipedia has an error then Jimbo's logic is that it is the complainer's fault because the complainer didn't go and fix the error. Hence, there is no need for anyone to ever complain about errors in Wikipedia. Experts are nasty people for unfairly withholding their knowledge from the project.

Carruthers
QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Wed 27th August 2008, 10:22pm) *

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 27th August 2008, 2:51pm) *

Dear Jimbo,

No, it is worse. If someone complains that Wikipedia has an error then Jimbo's logic is that it is the complainer's fault because the complainer didn't go and fix the error. Hence, there is no need for anyone to ever complain about errors in Wikipedia. Experts are nasty people for unfairly withholding their knowledge from the project.

Unless they're banned, in which case they're trolls...
Huxley
The first error, according to wikipedia, the author "Steve Cuozzo" does not exist.

Well I can fix that. A little editing, a little photoshop and *blamo*

Consider these wanted pages:
[[Steve Cuozzo looks like the Herbert on Family Guy]]
[[Steve Cuozzo writes for the NY Post, what no jobs at TigerBeat?]]
[[Steve Cuozzo's wrestleing school for young boys: You bring 'em, I pin 'em]]
Dzonatas
QUOTE(Carruthers @ Wed 27th August 2008, 2:19pm) *

A New York Post columnist has written a highly critical article about the state of Wikipedia and New York City. I wonder: how many of the errors he lists are actually our errors, and not his? In any event, the best response of Wikipedia to an article claiming errors is to fix the errors, so I hope bringing it to your attention is helpful and will provide a fun project for a couple of days. :-)

There is an error in that statement since not everyone can edit Wikipedia. In any event, the best response is to fix that error.
Jon Awbrey
"Jimbo verses the New York Post"

He's a poet, too?
Who knew?

Jon cool.gif
thekohser
Jimbo says, "our" errors?

That sounds like a publisher, taking responsibility for content! Alas, we know that he and his WMF are not accountable for the errors, but take full credit for the accuracy comparisons that show Wikipedia ahead of any other encyclopedia.
The Wales Hunter
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 28th August 2008, 1:26am) *

Jimbo says, "our" errors?

That sounds like a publisher, taking responsibility for content! Alas, we know that he and his WMF are not accountable for the errors, but take full credit for the accuracy comparisons that show Wikipedia ahead of any other encyclopedia.

Nah, it's more of a left-leaning desire to be an equal to the masses and "our" refers to the "community," from how I read it.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Carruthers @ Wed 27th August 2008, 9:19pm) *

This is a pretty scathing article, and should probably be pinned somewhere.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Wed 27th August 2008, 8:40pm) *

It's harder than it seems at first — the blindfold makes it difficult to find the donkey unless he is constantly braying …

Oh wait … nevermind …

Jon cool.gif
Moulton
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Wed 27th August 2008, 5:33pm) *
Dear Jimbo,

I have a thousand errors for you to fix, and that's only the start...

I have some, too.
Rootology
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Wed 27th August 2008, 5:40pm) *

Who takes the New York Post seriously, though?

I honestly used to buy it to read over lunch sometimes for the comedy value. It's one of the worst newspapers published in America, consistently loses money, and is floated by Rupert Murdoch personally. It's like Fox News EXTREME PRINT EDITION.
Gold heart
QUOTE(Rootology @ Thu 28th August 2008, 3:16am) *

I honestly used to buy it to read over lunch sometimes for the comedy value. It's one of the worst newspapers published in America, consistently loses money, and is floated by Rupert Murdoch personally. It's like Fox News EXTREME PRINT EDITION.

That dastardly New York Post should be shut down for running such a story.

How dare they criticise Wikipedia!

Even if it's true!! ohmy.gif
Neil
I am surprised nobody has yet nominated New York Post for deletion. It's clearly a troll site.
Vicky
At least it should be declared not a reliable source. Then we can all ignore what it says.
thekohser
Jimbo doesn't see the joke and wants to write a rebuttal, probably :

The above captures so nicely in a nutshell what Jimbo is all about:

1) "Our" encyclopedia shouldn't be criticized.

2) Anyone who takes the time to delineate their criticism with researched data may be assumed himself to be wrong.

3) I'm not going to lift one finger to actually participate in the process of improving "our" encyclopedia.

4) Get to work, slaves!

5) Donate the fruits of your labor to me, so that I may act as the triumphant figurehead who delivers these fruits to "our" adversaries.

6) I'm off to find another cougar to woo. What part of #4 didn't you understand, slaves?

Okay, #6 is projecting, but it was fun to say.

Greg
Emperor
Same response when you point out plagiarism of GFDL license violations. Oh, there's not much of it, we were just about to fix it, yadda yadda yadda.
thekohser
QUOTE(Emperor @ Thu 28th August 2008, 10:38am) *

Same response when you point out plagiarism of GFDL license violations. Oh, there's not much of it, we were just about to fix it, yadda yadda yadda.

Or, the famous "might as well restore all of it I suppose".
Rootology
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Thu 28th August 2008, 1:10am) *

That dastardly New York Post should be shut down for running such a story.

How dare they criticise Wikipedia!

Actually, that was a general dig vs. the NYP being a shit newspaper, not specific to WP.

QUOTE(Neil @ Thu 28th August 2008, 4:54am) *

I am surprised nobody has yet nominated New York Post for deletion. It's clearly a troll site.

It's actually a troll newspaper, but very notable! Have you guys actually ever read the thing? Its like Fox News, Extremica Dramatica Print Edition.

Looking at the WP article on them, they do make one good point... the sports section IS great. It's all the other stuff that Murdoch gets his Aussie fingers on that stink... typical front page:

Look at today's front page: http://www.nypost.com/ lol, what a joke. Wait for it to cycle back to Obama.
Crestatus
Well, the current headline does make sense; everything about tonight's Obama coronation sounds like the 2008 version of "Triumph of the Will".
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Crestatus @ Thu 28th August 2008, 9:39am) *

Well, the current headline does make sense; everything about tonight's Obama coronation sounds like the 2008 version of "Triumph of the Will".

Godwin! Besides, he's only going to be annointed and invested. Coronation, if it happens, is next January.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Rootology @ Thu 28th August 2008, 11:51am) *

It's all the other stuff that Murdoch gets his Aussie fingers on that stink … typical front page:

Full-Width Image

Look at today's front page: http://www.nypost.com/ lol, what a joke. Wait for it to cycle back to Obama.

Murdoch, Most Foul !!!

All I get is a banner message that says:

× Firefox prevented your computer from opening a vein.

Thanks, Firefox.

Jon cool.gif
flash

Like the provberbial buses (wait for ages and then 3 come along at once) the same week there's this one too in the British academics weekly, the Times Higher Education

...Encyclopedia Idiotica

If you read it carefully, though, its sort of 'constructive' criticism - isn't it?
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(flash @ Thu 28th August 2008, 9:13pm) *

Like the provberbial buses (wait for ages and then 3 come along at once) the same week there's this one too in the British academics weekly, the Times Higher Education

...Encyclopedia Idiotica

If you read it carefully, though, its sort of 'constructive' criticism - isn't it?

Ummm... You are aware who owns The Times, aren't you?
CrazyGameOfPoker
An actually interesting article from the Post. Whodathunkit.

In full disclosure, I've always been a News fan.
Vicky
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 28th August 2008, 9:51pm) *

Even so, the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES to its friends) is as solid, authoritative and usually mind-numbingly boring as they come.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Fri 29th August 2008, 8:15pm) *

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 28th August 2008, 9:51pm) *

Even so, the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES to its friends) is as solid, authoritative and usually mind-numbingly boring as they come.

Doubtless the articles themselves are the very model of solid, authoritative (if mind numbingly boring) journalism, but the editorial decision to place such an article - given that another Murdoch paper on another part of the planet both geographically and in target audience has also run a piece with the same conclusions - is surely open to suggestion?
Vicky
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Fri 29th August 2008, 8:35pm) *

Doubtless the articles themselves are the very model of solid, authoritative (if mind numbingly boring) journalism, but the editorial decision to place such an article - given that another Murdoch paper on another part of the planet both geographically and in target audience has also run a piece with the same conclusions - is surely open to suggestion?

Coincidences happen. rolleyes.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.