Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epistemic Theory of Miracles
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Peter Damian
I am very quickly losing my rag on this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history

And here

Don't put these stupid tags on articles that are under development, and which will be well-referenced, and which are important in relation to the Western philosophical tradition. Stick to garage bands or something. Peter Damian (talk) 12:05, 30 August 2008 (UTC)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Epistemic_theory_of_miracles"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...ory_of_miracles
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 30th August 2008, 8:00am) *

I am very quickly losing my rag on this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/The Usual Hystery, Re*Peating

Then Y R U Still Wriding It!?

Jon cool.gif
Carruthers
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 30th August 2008, 12:05pm) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/The Usual Hystery, Re*Peating

Then Y R U Still Wriding It!?

Jon cool.gif

I predict that the next step is nominating Augustine and Spinoza for "lack of notability".....
thekohser

I think it's funny that the AFD nominator has "I am tired of the ongoing levels of drama on Wikipedia" on his User page.

Peter, instead of working to develop new content amidst such a hostile environment, why don't you author your articles on some other, more inviting wiki forum, release it under the terms of the GFDL, then copy it wholesale into Wikipedia, so that it looks completely polished from the get-go?

Then, your new work also has the advantage of multiple Google hits, instead of just one.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 30th August 2008, 8:29am) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/The Usual Hystery, Re*Peting

I think it's funny that the AFD nominator has "I am tired of the ongoing levels of drama on Wikipedia" on his User page.

Peter, instead of working to develop new content amidst such a hostile environment, why don't you author your articles on some other, more inviting wiki forum, release it under the terms of the GFDL, then copy it wholesale into Wikipedia, so that it looks completely polished from the get-go?

Then, your new work also has the advantage of multiple Google hits, instead of just one.

These little e-pis-odes by repete e-fendi like Re*Peter Demian always remind me of that old Satyrdei Nite Live bit with the repeting punch-line, "I Hate It When That Happens".

Remember?

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
OK reason prevails -

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=235173423

by Seicer of all people.
Peter Damian
Blocked. the AN is amusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...ory_of_Miracles

Also my talk page from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Peter_Damian#Preview

Why is it OK for these dicks to leave that rude 'stop' hand sign on your talk page, but not OK to complain about it? (Jon Awbrey need not reply).

[edit] Now blanked talk page. Time for Wikipedia rehab. I suggested the idea some time ago. When you go on a binge, decent people like friends and family send you off to some clinic where you can be talked out of your addiction in reasonable ways. Someone please help.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 30th August 2008, 1:29pm) *

Well possibly. Or (see my user page now) just walk away. I have a deadline on Monday for an abstract for a conference paper, and the conference is quite important (most of the great medievalists will be there) so time to do that. That in the end is probably a better way to contribute to human knowledge and help Africans.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 30th August 2008, 2:23pm) *

Why is it OK for these dicks to leave that rude 'stop' hand sign on your talk page, but not OK to complain about it? (Jon Awbrey need not reply).

Affectionately known as Rosie Palm.

Wiki-Wankers like her a lot, she's all they got.

Jon cool.gif
ThurstonHowell3rd
I don't think you played the game very well. If you are going to play the game you need to know the rules. On Wikipedia building an encyclopaedia is of secondary importance.
Jon Awbrey

Now blanked talk page. Time for Wikipedia rehab. I suggested the idea some time ago. When you go on a binge, decent people like friends and family send you off to some clinic where you can be talked out of your addiction in reasonable ways. Someone please help.

A4ding a ½-way house.bak to the real world is 1 of the things we've always been here 4.

Cache is — you really ½ 2 wanna change.

Jon cool.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 30th August 2008, 11:50am) *

Affectionately known as Rosie Palm.

Wiki-Wankers like her a lot, she's all they got.

Jon cool.gif

Homer just called it the ροδοδακτυλος ηδονη *

*For when you couldn't find a little Greek boy.
Rootology
Just do what I do. Develop all the new stuff in a user space sandbox page, then just hit the Move button. Keeps the RC nitwits out of it.
Proabivouac
Peter Damien's attempts to steer Wikipedia in the direction of a respectable scholarly project have been "Stifled":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Stifle
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 30th August 2008, 8:42pm) *

Just do what I do. Develop all the new stuff in a user space sandbox page, then just hit the Move button. Keeps the RC nitwits out of it.

Why should I? That is not the solution to the problem of a place run not by the business, but the people whom the business should employ to protect the people in the building. It is meant to be an encyclopedia, and there is no point working there until it is run like an encyclopedia.
Proabivouac
Amazingly, "Stifle" was nominated for and passed adminship as an expert on deletion:
QUOTE(Nominator)

He is an expert in AFD and I think he has an excellent grasp of deletion and other policy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...dminship/Stifle
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 30th August 2008, 12:52pm) *

Amazingly, "Stifle" was nominated for and passed adminship as an expert on deletion:
QUOTE(Nominator)

He is an expert in AFD and I think he has an excellent grasp of deletion and other policy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...dminship/Stifle

He has an excellent grasp on how to stifle debate and stifle editors with less power and other opinions. Stifle, for whom I have no use at all (being an inclusionist) may be the most well-named amin since Can't Sleep, Clown Will Eat Me (who apparently never slept, and finally got eaten).
Peter Damian
I note that Wikipedia is using the recent $3m grant from the Sloan Foundation to increase Wikipedia quality by attracting academics. Or rather, in its charming Wikipedian/North Korean way, to 'teach' them how to contribute to the project.

One of the projects which will be supported with the Sloan grant is a software feature called Flagged Revisions, which will allow experienced editors to publicly and visibly grade the quality status of articles -- in effect, functioning as a kind of "nutrition labeling" for Wikipedia content. In coming years, Wikimedia also plans to significantly expand outreach events such as Wikipedia Academy, designed to increase Wikipedia's quality by teaching academics, older people, and other targeted groups how to contribute. Another goal is the distribution of educational content from Wikipedia and its sister projects in non-web-based formats such as DVDs and books, to reach people who are not online.

I think #1 priority for the coming months is to discover who in the Sloan Foundation is responsible for overseeing this whopping great grant. I have more than enough material now to turn a few heads ...
ThurstonHowell3rd
I don't see how any other result could be expected. An admin versus a non-admin where the admin is following the letter of the Afd policy. (regardless of whether or not there is a violation of the spirit of the policy).

thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 30th August 2008, 4:20pm) *

I think #1 priority for the coming months is to discover who in the Sloan Foundation is responsible for overseeing this whopping great grant. I have more than enough material now to turn a few heads ...

Months? Try minutes.

Doron Weber, Sloan Program Director for Universal Access to Recorded Knowledge

I kid you not, that's his title.
thekohser
P.S. I see you have "permanently" retired from Wikipedia, too, Peter. You know I like you and all, but I give your retirement until, ohhh... October 4th.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 30th August 2008, 10:19pm) *

P.S. I see you have "permanently" retired from Wikipedia, too, Peter. You know I like you and all, but I give your retirement until, ohhh... October 4th.

Why October 4th?
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 30th August 2008, 5:00am) *

A few things Peter;
* It's really refreshing to see an idiot called an idiot, doesn't happen enough.
* Wikipedia needs lots of people to clean up the thousands of pieces of trash everyday. Idiots are perfectly suited for that job most of the time. So try not to grind Stifle into the mud, OK. I think you've made your point.
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 30th August 2008, 5:26pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 30th August 2008, 10:19pm) *

Why October 4th?

I feel like I'm an over/under line-maker of sorts. That date sounds like I could get equal action here from the betting community.
Vicky

Good idea. I invite you to wikinfo.org, where according to Greg at least one admin is "the hottest, sauciest wiki-editor the world has ever known". biggrin.gif
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Sat 30th August 2008, 6:26pm) *

Good idea. I invite you to wikinfo.org, where according to Greg at least one admin is "the hottest, sauciest wiki-editor the world has ever known". biggrin.gif

Thanks, Greg, it's nice to be e-preciatied.

Peter Noster could also draft yet another re*daction of his Don't Be A Mirabile Dictum at Google's Knol, where he would have his druthers of Collaboration Models and Cremative Come-Ons Licenses.

Or he could just keep on whining e-round in circles 4ever, until Miltown & Moulton Inc. dedicates an opera to him, say, Peter Is The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Jon cool.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 30th August 2008, 3:40pm) *

Peter Noster could also draft yet another re*daction of his Don't Be A Mirabile Dictum at Google's Knol, where he would have his druthers of Collaboration Models and Cremative Come-Ons Licenses.

Or he could just keep on whining e-round in circles 4ever, until Miltown & Moulton Inc. dedicates an opera to him, say, Peter Is The Boy Who Cried Wolf.
Jon cool.gif

Why compost opera after Jon has shown how mulch communal-cation decay is easily ach-leaved with Ψ-ka-Δ-ics, font-ass-tics, and some stearing manure??

Miltown happy.gif
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 30th August 2008, 7:36pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 30th August 2008, 3:40pm) *

Jon cool.gif

Why compost opera after Jon has shown how mulch communal-cation decay is easily ach-leaved with Ψ-ka-Δ-ics, font-ass-tics, and some stearing manure??

Miltown happy.gif

Or you could just make like a tree and get the shit on the road …

P.S. Try size 11 next time.

Jon cool.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 30th August 2008, 4:48pm) *

P.S. Try size 11 next time.
Jon cool.gif

Miltown

Nah, still crimps. Would you like to try one of my size 13's?
jd turk
I just found the discussion on ANI, and was about to post it when I saw this thread. My sympathies, Peter.

On wikipedia, you often enter into conversations with people and try to be civil and productive.

Then you realize you're talking to a twelve year-old, and feel stupid.

Worse still, then another twelve year-old blocks you because your article on the Epistemic Theory of Miracles isn't sourced as well as your average article on the Transformers.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sat 30th August 2008, 10:54pm) *

* Wikipedia needs lots of people to clean up the thousands of pieces of trash everyday.

No it doesn't. (a) Require registration and accounts (B) have a system that protects 'established editors' from this sort of nonsense.
Peter Damian
Giano blocked then unblocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...ersonal_attacks

after complaining about Stifle's actions on this article yesterday. This sort of thing not news any more, I suppose.

Though actually what is news is that Scribe vigorously opposes the block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Gia...ersonal_attacks
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 30th August 2008, 2:42pm) *

That only works if you don't have people stalking your edits.
Rootology
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 1st September 2008, 7:57am) *

QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 30th August 2008, 2:42pm) *

That only works if you don't have people stalking your edits.

Well, being who I am, I genuinely believe a certain known (three guesses) subset of users is still religiously watching all my edits, expecting me to screw up somehow or go off with some nuclear payload assault on MONGO or something. I'd like to believe otherwise.

All my such work, staging it first in my various sandboxes, has gone untouched. It's not like it's hard to shut down any silly games--3+ sources will hold off the immediate attacks, and 5+ puts you into virtual automatic Keep territory on AFD.

The only time I didn't do this on an article that I can recall was on Bruce Gilden, and sure enough, someone tagged it within a couple minutes here. But that I don't believe was my old friends, just a coincidence.

Stuff you build in your userspace is by the rules immune for practical ages while you set it up.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 10:49am) *

Giano blocked then unblocked

Stuff

after complaining about Stifle's actions on this article yesterday. This sort of thing not news any more, I suppose.

Though actually what is news is that Scribe vigorously opposes the block.

'n' Suck

Dear Re*Peter,

You asked us once to keep on reminding you —

The time you spend in Wikipedia is just so much blood poured down the toilet.

You really gotta quit doing that.

Maybe Durova can find you a good shrink.

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
There's a remorseless logic to this.

1. An encyclopedia that 'anyone can edit'
2. This divides users into 2 groups: 99% who don't have a clue about editing, but imagine they can, and the 1% who really can.
3. Creating a 3rd group: a police force who have to delete the piles of rubbish contributed by the first group, every day.
4. Huge disagreement and social unrest between the police force, who can't tell good content from rubbish (for if they could, they would have been in the 1% group), and the 1% group.
5. Result, the 1% don't edit directly but create things in sandboxes. The other 99% get blocked
6. An encyclopedia that no one can edit.

Simple really.

You asked us once to keep on reminding you

You haven't checked out my user page today? (Clue, click on the bit on the left that says 'WP user page').
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 11:13am) *

There's a remorseless logic to this.
  1. An encyclopedia that 'anyone can edit'
  2. This divides users into 2 groups: 99% who don't have a clue about editing, but imagine they can, and the 1% who really can.
  3. Creating a 3rd group: a police force who have to delete the piles of rubbish contributed by the first group, every day.
  4. Huge disagreement and social unrest between the police force, who can't tell good content from rubbish (for if they could, they would have been in the 1% group), and the 1% group.
  5. Result, the 1% don't edit directly but create things in sandboxes. The other 99% get blocked
  6. An encyclopedia that no one can edit.
Simple really.

You asked us once to keep on reminding you —

You haven't checked out my user page today? (Clue, click on the bit on the left that says 'WP user page').

In all human societies there are those who produce and those who parasite. Parasites like Wikipedia get very good at parasiting precisely because they don't waste any of their time producing. This is news to you?

No, I hardly ever bother clicking WP links anymore — just so much blood down the toilet, y'know.

Or maybe you don't …

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 1st September 2008, 4:27pm) *

No, I hardly ever bother clicking WP links anymore — just so much blood down the toilet, y'know.

The point is the page is no longer there.
Pumpkin Muffins

Hey Peter, you remind me of this guy;

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 11:44am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 1st September 2008, 4:27pm) *

The point is the page is no longer there.

So what are you still ragging on about?

Go write a decent Wikipedia Review article or Knol knol or something, if you really do know anything worth sharing.

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Mon 1st September 2008, 4:51pm) *

Hey Peter, you remind me of this guy;

Yeh that was me. Handled quite well I thought.
Peter Damian
It seems that Stifle has apologised (which I set as a condition of returning - I will apologise back when I next log on). I'm not sure it addresses the underlying issue. Moreover FT2's comments on the same page are not encouraging either.

I think that I remained civil at all times and I don't think I was trolling, and while I didn't think I was wrong to make the AFD nomination, it appears that the community feels otherwise, and I accept that decision and apologize that my actions led to this. I also don't care about being called a troll. Regarding the overall issue, someone blocked Giano (as many, including I, have done), someone unblocked him (as many have done), and we've been through the mill on this very recently. An RFAR here would really not improve anything and I hope the ArbCom declines the request. [[User:Stifle|Stifle]] ([[User talk:Stifle/wizard|talk]]) 09:50, 2 September 2008 (UTC)

:I've just read over the AN thread (which I thought had closed and was not following) and wish to strengthen the above. I apologize for my actions in this matter and will try to be less short-sighted in future. Hopefully we can move on. [[User:Stifle|Stifle]] ([[User talk:Stifle/wizard|talk]]) 09:57, 2 September 2008 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=235782398
thekohser
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 7:14am) *

It seems that Stifle has apologised (which I set as a condition of returning - I will apologise back when I next log on).

So, are you officially "back to editing" Wikipedia now, September 2nd?

Damn, I gave you WAY too much credit setting the over/under at October 4th!
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 10:34am) *

It seems that Stifle has apologised (which I set as a condition of returning — I will apologise back when I next log on).

2, 2, 2 utterly boring. And Re*Peter gives such a lack-lustre performance on top of it all. Measured against Sandra Bullock's smash↑up canonical interpretation in 28 Days, a film that doles out the full dregs of learned helplessness while never dashing our hopes of eventual salvation, Re*Peter gives us nothing but a prequel to 28 Days Later.

Don't bother saving me the aisle seat — I reckon I can dig a disk out of BlockBuster's trash heap if I ever need to re*review it, which I hope I never do.

Jon cool.gif
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 3:34pm) *

It seems that Stifle has apologised (which I set as a condition of returning - I will apologise back when I next log on).

You did indeed. I didn't think he would apologise.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 4:34pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 3:34pm) *

You did indeed. I didn't think he would apologise.

So was that a theoretical miracle or an actual one?
Vicky
QUOTE(Peter" Damian @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 4:34pm) *

I didn't think he would apologise.

It sometimes takes an awful effort to get people to realise they were wrong. Sometimes they don't realise until it's too late.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.