Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Price Crash
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Peter Damian
Interesting discussion going on at the House Price Crash forum here

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=85882

What we really need though is a sympathetic "Wikipaedo" editor, experience shows you are up against powermad 13 year olds who will not listen to reason, just Jimbo's Hallowed Rulebook.

Wikipedia is another one of these Web 2.0 "authority" sites that once it got big pulled up the drawbridge with its "nofollow" linking policy with the result that the Google "juice" and traffic is sucked only one way..towards Wikipedia of course.

Edit: Sponsor for deletion is an "administrator". So it going to go, despite the fact that by his logic, Wikipedia itself would be un-notable and should delete its own page because most mentions of it go via Jimbo Wales.

What is this telling us. It's telling us that members of an independent website with nothing to do with Wikipedia are saying much the same things that WR is saying. Perhaps the people are not so stupid as all that.

[edit]Another

Exactly its wikipedia's "loss." And there are plenty of other places on the web to publish HPC articles where you are not subjected to idiotic censorship by teenagers more interested in Doctor Who. Also where a link back to this site would actually count, as far as Google is concerned.

maiawatatos
A quick look suggests to me it is fairly borderline in notability. I would say without the 'London Tonight' story, it certainly wouldn't be.
thekohser
I have gratuitously semi-spammed their forum and also invited them here.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 1st September 2008, 5:13pm) *

I have gratuitously semi-spammed their forum and also invited them here.

I posted a follow-up.
Rootology
Well, the forum doesn't appear notable. But the actual Housing price crash, the event, is certainly notable if someone wrote it up. They haven't shut up in the news about it forever.

Is there even an article on the current recession/depression etc?

Scratch that, the forum itself is notable enough.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Rootology @ Mon 1st September 2008, 5:35pm) *

Well, the forum doesn't appear notable. But the actual Housing price crash, the event, is certainly notable if someone wrote it up. They haven't shut up in the news about it forever.

Yes it is. I used to contribute there, and it is the main discussion forum for the whole HPC thing, which many vested interests still deny exists (the NewLab did a U-turn last week). If New Labour is Wikipedia, then HPC is its Wikipedia Review.
maiawatatos
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 5:36pm) *

Yes it is. I used to contribute there, and it is the main discussion forum for the whole HPC thing, which many vested interests still deny exists (the NewLab did a U-turn last week). If New Labour is Wikipedia, then HPC is its Wikipedia Review.

Either I'm missing the coherent and well-thought out postings, or people on there don't have the memory to think back 15-20 years. Alternatively it could be that they're all tory activists - the internet seems to be 80% populated by those these days. I'm surprised that people didn't learn from back then that if you let the market run riot, it'll rebound on everyone sooner or later.

It seems to be nearly as bad as BBC have your say.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(maiawatatos @ Mon 1st September 2008, 6:06pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 5:36pm) *

Either I'm missing the coherent and well-thought out postings, or people on there don't have the memory to think back 15-20 years. Alternatively it could be that they're all tory activists - the internet seems to be 80% populated by those these days. I'm surprised that people didn't learn from back then that if you let the market run riot, it'll rebound on everyone sooner or later.

It seems to be nearly as bad as BBC have your say.

Well there are some very good posters, some moderately bad ones, and some real nutcases. Just like anywhere else on the internet.
maiawatatos
Fair enough (and sorry about the slightly rant-y post above). I just had a browse around for a quick sample and mainly seemed to encounter nutcases - I'm sure the good posters are buried in there somewhere, but as with anywhere, it'll need some digging to find them.

I just wish more people realised how irrelevant the internet is from a political point of view...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.