Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corruption of Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Jon Awbrey
Corruption of Wikipedia, a knol by Carl Hewitt

I wasn't sure whether we already had this, or what forum it fits in best, but here it is.

Jon cool.gif
The Joy
Carl Hewitt! I remember him! He was a major BLP victim. I can't remember if he ever posted here or not, but I think he did at one point.

Here's the thread about his wiki-woes:

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...&hl=Carl+Hewitt
Crestatus
Nice read. I thought about commenting on it, but then Jimbo would ban me within the hour, so I won't.
Peter Damian
A good article and deserves further comment.
The Joy
John Schimdt has already commented on it (bolding emphasis mine):

QUOTE(John Schimdt)

Some Wikipedians are rude to other editors, which violates the civility policy. I'm sorry if you have been treated rudely at Wikipedia. At Wikiversity (http://en.wikiversity.org) we have policies which allow scholarly research and learning projects. One Wikiversity topic is "Wikimedia studies" where we study the problems of Wikipedia and think about how to improve Wikimedia wiki projects. Please drop by. I think it is possible to improve Wikipedia by working from withing the system. The community is in control....its just tricky for such a large and rapidly growing community to recognize and repair the problems that arise. We need your help.

Mr. Schimdt has never read the Review, has he?
Carruthers
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 4th September 2008, 6:45am) *

John Schimdt has already commented on it (bolding emphasis mine):

QUOTE(John Schimdt)

Some Wikipedians are rude to other editors, which violates the civility policy. I'm sorry if you have been treated rudely at Wikipedia. At Wikiversity (http://en.wikiversity.org) we have policies which allow scholarly research and learning projects. One Wikiversity topic is "Wikimedia studies" where we study the problems of Wikipedia and think about how to improve Wikimedia wiki projects. Please drop by. I think it is possible to improve Wikipedia by working from withing the system. The community is in control....its just tricky for such a large and rapidly growing community to recognize and repair the problems that arise. We need your help.

Mr. Schimdt has never read the Review, has he?

No, it's just that the Wikiversity community is small enough that it can still have its "utopia"-style mindset and still have a site that functions.

Wikiversity is just a really cool place, but you can't make judgments about what happens on EN:WP based on what happens there. Even SB_Jonny had a hard time figuring what Moulton and WAS were going on about when they first showed up. (I think that he's figured out that there is a problem by now...but doesn't really want to know exactly what or why at this point....I can't say that I blame him either....)
ThurstonHowell3rd
Great article. Now will this be considered a reliable source so that this article can be referenced in the Wikipedia article on Wikipedia criticism?
Carruthers
QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Thu 4th September 2008, 8:18am) *

Great article. Now will this be considered a reliable source so that this article can be referenced in the Wikipedia article on Wikipedia criticism?

I've just noticed that Prof. Hewitt was at MIT. Boy, between him, Moulton and Prof. Picard, WP has really made quite a few friends at MIT, haven't they?

LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(Carruthers @ Thu 4th September 2008, 9:30am) *

I've just noticed that Prof. Hewitt was at MIT. Boy, between him, Moulton and Prof. Picard, WP has really made quite a few friends at MIT, haven't they?

Three individuals (in a similar place)? That would equal a conspiracy, and thus WP does not need to pay any attention.
Giggy
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 4th September 2008, 6:47pm) *

QUOTE(Carruthers @ Thu 4th September 2008, 9:30am) *

Three individuals (in a similar place)? That would equal a conspiracy, and thus WP does not need to pay any attention.

Indeed. For our purposes they are now a cabal.
Peter Damian
Some gems here.

After all, who knows what scruffy, fly-by-night vanity presses my books might be issued by (Cambridge University Press, Schirmer Books, University of California Press)?

Vicky
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 4th September 2008, 9:47am) *

So they all have generic occupations! Has any of them posted more than one photo of himself on WP? If not, they're clearly sockpuppets.
JohnA
If he could settle on just the one font and the one colour, then I'd be more impressed.
cyofee
QUOTE(JohnA @ Thu 4th September 2008, 2:42pm) *

If he could settle on just the one font and the one colour, then I'd be more impressed.

Exactly.

The amount of variety in font sizes, colors and decorations is very often inverseley proportional to the quality of the content. Good examples are conspiracy and hate sites, like Jew Watch.
Jon Awbrey
Re: "Corruption of Wikipedia" by Carl Hewitt

I posted an invitation —

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 04 Sep 2008 EDT 10:00 & 12:36)

Meta-Discussion Forum @ The Wikipedia Review

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Wikipedia and your researches on Wikipedia with us. Your experiences could be multiplied by the thousands but the breadth and depth of your research is unique.

In the Meta-Discussion Forum at The Wikipedia Review we are making our own attempts to understand — from a systems-theoretic perspective — the generic dynamics that drives social-technical phenomena like those we see in Wikipedia. I would personally welcome the level of expertise and insight that you could obviously bring to our inquiry.

Many Regards,

Jon Awbrey

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.