Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: National Fuel Gas
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
Hey, there's no article about National Fuel Gas on Wikipedia.

There's an article over here, though; but it's not released under the terms of the GFDL.

If there is a Wikipedia admin in good standing who would like to transclude this article into the English Wikipedia (then take it from there, of course), I would be willing to release it under the terms of the GFDL.

Let me know. I'll be watching this space.

Greg
thekohser
So, be honest... Is it that the article is that poorly done, or is it that the author is such a hot potato to be worth it?
Adam Smithee
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th September 2008, 3:15pm) *

So, be honest... Is it that the article is that poorly done, or is it that the author is such a hot potato to be worth it?

Well for starters, personally I wouldn't do it simply because an admin account suddenly logging on after dormancy to post that article would mean that it would be ridiculously easy to tie this account to my mostly unused Wikipedia account. That is something I'm not overly interested in doing at this time. Besides, you and I both know that the article would be dumped as a proxy posting for a banned user and the user posting it would be subjected to the usual castigation for being a sock/meat puppet.

On strictly a content level, I've never really been a huge fan of most corporate articles unless it can be reasonably demonstrated that it is a fairly widely known and recognizable business, but that is just me. Besides, what has National Fuel Gas Company ever done to you Greg that you want to open them up to having an article that, if kept on Wikipedia, would most likely be subject to lots of unfounded and poorly sourced criticism? If I owned a company, having a Wikipedia article would be a nightmare given the uneven response given to many complaints about biased coverage. Unless you know how to find the handful of admins who actually will listen to a complaint, it's a complete headache being listed there.
thekohser
QUOTE(Adam Smithee @ Tue 9th September 2008, 12:56pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th September 2008, 3:15pm) *

Well for starters, personally I wouldn't do it simply because an admin account suddenly logging on after dormancy to post that article would mean that it would be ridiculously easy to tie this account to my mostly unused Wikipedia account. That is something I'm not overly interested in doing at this time. Besides, you and I both know that the article would be dumped as a proxy posting for a banned user and the user posting it would be subjected to the usual castigation for being a sock/meat puppet.

On strictly a content level, I've never really been a huge fan of most corporate articles unless it can be reasonably demonstrated that it is a fairly widely known and recognizable business, but that is just me. Besides, what has National Fuel Gas Company ever done to you Greg that you want to open them up to having an article that, if kept on Wikipedia, would most likely be subject to lots of unfounded and poorly sourced criticism? If I owned a company, having a Wikipedia article would be a nightmare given the uneven response given to many complaints about biased coverage. Unless you know how to find the handful of admins who actually will listen to a complaint, it's a complete headache being listed there.

Well put. But, we also have to think about That Kid In Africa, writing their mid-term paper on American natural gas companies, and Jimbo encourages Wikipedia as a "first step" reference resource. What is the Kid to do if there's no article about NFG?

Disclaimer: I have no past or current interaction with National Fuel Gas. Just many moons ago, I noted that it was absent from Wikipedia, despite being a Fortune 1000 (#785) operation, so I thought Wikipedia might like a short article with which to get started helping African Kids.
Adam Smithee
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th September 2008, 5:05pm) *

Well put. But, we also have to think about That Kid In Africa, writing their mid-term paper on American natural gas companies, and Jimbo encourages Wikipedia as a "first step" reference resource. What is the Kid to do if there's no article about NFG?

Disclaimer: I have no past or current interaction with National Fuel Gas. Just many moons ago, I noted that it was absent from Wikipedia, despite being a Fortune 1000 (#785) operation, so I thought Wikipedia might like a short article with which to get started helping African Kids.

Jimbo also encourages weekend trysts with conservative pundits whilst his unquestioning loyalists implement a series of "suggested improvements" into the biographical article on said pundit.

Despite my misgivings about most corporate articles, from a content standpoint, I'd rather see 100 {well written and maintained} articles about NFG-esque companies than another list of Nintendo or Anime characters.

Maybe it's time to start sending Wikipedia Review CD's to all those Kids in Africa. While I was never a fan of "paid to edit" articles "in" Wikipedia, I also felt it would have been more prudent to work with Wikipedia Review.
Viridae
You able to provide some citations Greg (if its too much work don't bother). If you can, I would be willing to move that across if it were released under GDFL. It is a neutral factual article worthy of inclusion.
thekohser
QUOTE(Viridae @ Thu 11th September 2008, 7:16am) *

You able to provide some citations Greg (if its too much work don't bother). If you can, I would be willing to move that across if it were released under GDFL. It is a neutral factual article worthy of inclusion.

It's not too much. I'll do a bit of work on the article (it is out of date, too!), and then poke you by PM.

Greg
Count DeMonet
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th September 2008, 6:05pm) *

Well he could always hit Google and do his own f*&kin' research wink.gif

Assuming of course, he's already been given his OLPC laptop, has power and is in the foorprint of a WiFi hotspot or MANET mesh, that actually works. Which has always struck me as the 300 lb Gorilla in Jimbo's poor Kid In Africa room.
thekohser
QUOTE(One @ Mon 22nd September 2008, 10:38am) *

Does this mean if Kohs points out some absurdity on Wikipedia, we should not fix it because it will continue some Wikipedian's "extreme long-term stress"? We should just wait until one of those thousands of editors fixes it independently? Or is this indeed just about the PoetBlock? God, I hope it's the latter, because allowing users to veto suggestions thought to come from banned users--whether the suggestions are good or bad--seems like a very bad idea.

Yes, it's a quote from another thread, talking about proxying for banned users, and which actually called attention to Viridae's behaviors, I'm left to wonder...

How long before Viridae is banned from Wikipedia?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 22nd September 2008, 10:43am) *

That depends on whether or not he's willing to be a Retroviridae, and deploy an integrase. (kiss, kiss, snuggle). Or maybe become totally inactive, like the Herpesviridae, and completely shut up.

Otherwise, the immune system is coming for him.
Ottava
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 8th September 2008, 6:14pm) *

Hey, there's no article about National Fuel Gas on Wikipedia.

There's an article over here, though; but it's not released under the terms of the GFDL.

If there is a Wikipedia admin in good standing who would like to transclude this article into the English Wikipedia (then take it from there, of course), I would be willing to release it under the terms of the GFDL.

Let me know. I'll be watching this space.

Greg

I hope it wont include the google ad. tongue.gif

But seriously, its on the NYSE so it should be more than notable enough to warrant a page. It doesn't seem like it will be a large page, and might be narrowed down to only a few sections (instead of the many short sections now)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.