Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JzG wants to block anyone who says "IDCab"
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > JzG
Bob Boy

It is time to stamp out this stupid and childish meme once and for all. I propose that if any of editor ever mentions the so-called "ID cabal" ever again in a way that even smells faintly of bad faith, they be blocked, with escalating blocks for future recurrences. It has gone on for far too long, it is an absolute case of assuming bad faith and ascribing motives where none need exist, combining elements of ad-hominem and poisoning the well - and that's even before you get to the undeniable fact that ID is a WP:FRINGE view and therefore would quite rightly be the target of careful ring-fencing against the documented relentless POV-pushing of its advocates, an issue which occurs as much in the real world as on Wikipedia. And I don't give a toss who it is who raises this stupid and malicious meme, be they my best friend or my worst enemy, they should be blocked because it is well past its sell-by date. Guy (Help!) 21:47, 9 September 2008 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...378095#Proposal

It would be funny if Guy accidentally said "ID Cabal" himself and then got blocked, kind of like saying "Jehovah" in "The Life of Brian" stoning sketch.

"Nobody will block anybody until I blow this whistle!"
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Bob Boy @ Tue 9th September 2008, 11:21pm) *

It is time to stamp out this stupid and childish meme once and for all. I propose that if any of editor ever mentions the so-called "ID cabal" ever again in a way that even smells faintly of bad faith, they be blocked, with escalating blocks for future recurrences. It has gone on for far too long, it is an absolute case of assuming bad faith and ascribing motives where none need exist, combining elements of ad-hominem and poisoning the well - and that's even before you get to the undeniable fact that ID is a WP:FRINGE view and therefore would quite rightly be the target of careful ring-fencing against the documented relentless POV-pushing of its advocates, an issue which occurs as much in the real world as on Wikipedia. And I don't give a toss who it is who raises this stupid and malicious meme, be they my best friend or my worst enemy, they should be blocked because it is well past its sell-by date. Guy (Help!) 21:47, 9 September 2008 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...378095#Proposal

It would be funny if Guy accidentally said "ID Cabal" himself and then got blocked, kind of like saying "Jehovah" in "The Life of Brian" stoning sketch.

"Nobody will block anybody until I blow this whistle!"

Ironic that a core member of the ID Cabal raised the issue in the first place.

Even more ironic comment by Killer herself:

The "outside parties" would be you and others reading this, Tzn. Its why I am ehre. I am tired of this constant BS. I am tired of being repeatedly maligned. I am tired of the gaming of the system. I am pinging the "others" to step up to the plate and start doing something about this poisoning of the well.

blink.gif
The Wales Hunter
Guy may well have a point here. I have a confession to make: I actually think the project would be better off if editors and admins were less pink-tinged liberals and more like Guy.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Tue 9th September 2008, 11:29pm) *

Guy may well have a point here. I have a confession to make: I actually think the project would be better off if editors and admins were less pink-tinged liberals and more like Guy.

It is another "right point, wrong case" with added "wrong proposer". The IDCab are in constant communication, follow each other around from article to article, RFAs, policy and then bleat when people notice. I have no idea how much this is a valid or invalid instance being bemoaned, but they have done it so often, so blatantly and with such venom that it becomes difficult to argue that the right thing to defend them.

And of course Guy knows all about behaving properly to other users. I would love everyone at the next Wikipedia meetup in the UK to go around the venue calling complete strangers all the names that Guy claims are perfectly acceptable.

But I do agree, they would be better off with hard nosed (but consistent) policing than the usual hand-wringing in three different directions. But you need to have some idea of what you are going to police. Wikipedia is not unique, the Spa Formula 1 race has managed to find itself in the same mess, where someone decided to be hard-nosed about the letter of the often unwritten and contradictory sporting code of Formula 1.
Rhindle
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=235252500

There is a lot obsession about this label. Jim62sch had to, against the rules, edit war about in the PD page for the SV/Cl/FM case and made no apologies about it. They really need to get over it.
the fieryangel
Take down the talkpages, bulletin boards and everything else.

If you edit an encyclopedia page, you have to add a source.

Admins check sources. period.

If people want to talk, there's always MySpace....

Case closed.
Bob Boy
Well, no wonder KC got so pissed off and started the whole think - looks like Kelly was a smartass in response to an oh-so-serious warning:

Oh, KC, get off the cross. I personally find it hilarious that the ID people can dish it out but can't take it. Now don't you have something more productive to do than hang around on the talk page of little old me? I recently looked at Rosalind Picard and I don't think it has enough controversy in it.
Kelly hi! 15:34, 9 September 2008 (UTC)

This comment to Jossi was pretty funny too - KC quoted it in part at WP:AN, but the whole thing is better:

Hey, Jossi - don't you have some wheel-warring to do somewhere, or maybe an ArbCom case to comment in? Oh, wait - I think somebody is trying to edit Prem Rawat!
Kelly hi! 05:19, 9 September 2008 (UTC)

Apparently told some other admins to get lost, as well. I'm thinking the Giano influence may be spreading among the article-writing people. Or so I see the influence of Dan Tobias here?
Giggy
Why isn't Kelly a member here yet? Why?
Floydsvoid
QUOTE(Bob Boy @ Tue 9th September 2008, 8:05pm) *

Well, no wonder KC got so pissed off and started the whole think - looks like Kelly was a smartass in response to an oh-so-serious warning:

Oh, KC, get off the cross. I personally find it hilarious that the ID people can dish it out but can't take it. Now don't you have something more productive to do than hang around on the talk page of little old me? I recently looked at Rosalind Picard and I don't think it has enough controversy in it.
Kelly hi! 15:34, 9 September 2008 (UTC)

While delurking, might as well go for it.

Now I can see the reason for JzG. He's like the bouncer at the bar. You fuck up, you get thrown out on your face. He's right 90 some percent of the time. The problem starts with the remainder where he's not right. They don't deserve being thrown out on their face and are (sometimes) righteously indignant about it (or else take their ball and go home). Thing is, he has one solution for the problem, throwing people out on their faces.

Same thing for the ID Cabal. It's their way or your face in the highway. That's the way they've treated fringe editors and kooks for so long, they don't know any other way of dealing with disagreements. They have their own mindset and cannot deal with different mindsets that are not fringe nor kooky.

Once you get used to a (ban)hammer as your only tool, every problem looks like a nail (or troll).
Bob Boy
That's weird - I thought Kelly was only contributing on her talk page, and not WP:AN, because she was blocked. However, there's nothing in the block log, so apparently she skated through without any consequences.

I guess it's apparently a good tactic to get straight up in the faces of the ID Cabal and call their bluff. It definitely seems to fluster them.
dtobias

Or so I see the influence of Dan Tobias here?

I'm everywhere! tongue.gif

But I still can't figure out for sure if Kelly is a he or a she... there seem to be others quite confident in both directions when they address him/her.

----------------
Now playing: Sister Sledge - Somebody Loves Me
via FoxyTunes
Cla68
QUOTE(dtobias @ Wed 10th September 2008, 2:24am) *

Or so I see the influence of Dan Tobias here?

I'm everywhere! tongue.gif

But I still can't figure out for sure if Kelly is a he or a she... there seem to be others quite confident in both directions when they address him/her.

I believe that it will probably remain unknown for now. By the way, I thought your "BADWORDS" response to that thread was hilarious.
Bob Boy
Wow, that has turned into a really big blowup on WP:AN. Been a couple months since we had a big Intelligent Design Fight, guess we were about due.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...28IDCab_meme.29

Oh, look at that, right on time. Guettarda, charter member of the ID Cabal, has "just happened" to show up and prove there is no ID Cabal. Bonus Wikipedia Review smear included. biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=237423624

Oh, and Jennavecia and Fozzie are hammering them on the Commons Checkusership and Giggy's RfA. They must be frothing.
LaraLove
QUOTE(Bob Boy @ Tue 9th September 2008, 11:09pm) *

Wow, that has turned into a really big blowup on WP:AN. Been a couple months since we had a big Intelligent Design Fight, guess we were about due.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...28IDCab_meme.29

Oh, look at that, right on time. Guettarda, charter member of the ID Cabal, has "just happened" to show up and prove there is no ID Cabal. Bonus Wikipedia Review smear included. biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=237423624

Oh, and Jennavecia and Fozzie are hammering them on the Commons Checkusership and Giggy's RfA. They must be frothing.

Guettarda, last I checked, has still not replied to me (Jennavecia for any who haven't noticed).

I find it particularly amusing when JzG condemns anyone for incivility. It makes me giggle inside.
everyking

And I think societies would be better off if people stopped engaging in reasoned discussions and started beating each other with clubs.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 10th September 2008, 1:10am) *
And I think societies would be better off if people stopped engaging in reasoned discussions and started beating each other with clubs.
That would get better ratings in prime-time, at least.
Jon Awbrey
When the Abuse Filther comes online they could Index *ID*CAb* on the Regex Prohibitorum and that would solve 50% of their problems.

Of course, they could Index *Guy* and that would solve 110% of their problems.

I guess everyone could then start using ID Merlot as a codeword.

But haven't we been through this all once before?

Deja*Re*Vu …

Jon cool.gif
that one guy
JzG needs to pull his head out of his ass. It's so far up there he probably thought it grew there.
LessHorrid vanU

Ummm... Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't JzG identify as left wing (that would be "pink-tinged" to you pastel fixated editors)? I seem to remember his posting something like that, and being somewhat shocked as it is much as I self identify. Indeed, it would be that if he were left wing it would be much more the militant tendency version of left wing politics than the socio-liberal faction.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(that one guy @ Wed 10th September 2008, 12:08pm) *

JzG needs to pull his head out of his ass. It's so far up there he probably thought it grew there.

Even a stopped cloaca is regular twice a day.

Jon cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.