Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to address systemic bias and cruft with carrots instead of sticks
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Casliber
Having seen on numerous occasions complaints about cruftload and systemic bias, I tried to come up with a positive rather than negative way of addressing it, and get some (maybe) more broad rather than esoteric subjects on the DYK bit on the front page. Thus I wrote a little competition here - the idea being to list the most notable stub (let's say article with less than 150 words) that you find, sorta like a treasure hunt. Listed some categories for largest city, food, most important plant (that one should be easy to find loads), public figure, blah blah. One doesn't have to expand the candidate articles, just list 'em. Figured this was a good way of findng stubs to improve by dangling kudos of getting them on the front page...
Peter Damian
I like this idea. As I am permanently banned by Jimbo, can I ask you to nominate Selina Hastings? (Most notable biographer)

http://www.biographersclub.co.uk/members/hastings.shtml

She doesn't have an entry in Wikipedia at all, and deserves one, being an eminent biographer of several distinguished British authors.

Best

Peter
Casliber
Hmm..interesting. I had made up the thread to look at existing stubs for a change, but all sorts of things pop up, won't hurt to make one (hehehe) . smile.gif
Rootology
This is a really cool idea. Would it help motivate people to do things like, I name a stub, someone builds it out, in exchange for me giving them like fifty or a hundred edits on an article of their choice? Fifty good ones can net a DYK easy, a hundred a GA, or better...
Ottava
QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 19th September 2008, 1:01pm) *

Having seen on numerous occasions complaints about cruftload and systemic bias, I tried to come up with a positive rather than negative way of addressing it, and get some (maybe) more broad rather than esoteric subjects on the DYK bit on the front page. Thus I wrote a little competition here - the idea being to list the most notable stub (let's say article with less than 150 words) that you find, sorta like a treasure hunt. Listed some categories for largest city, food, most important plant (that one should be easy to find loads), public figure, blah blah. One doesn't have to expand the candidate articles, just list 'em. Figured this was a good way of findng stubs to improve by dangling kudos of getting them on the front page...

This could work if you combine it with an amount of page views, "what links here" or other such things to establish what is a really notable stub.
Casliber
I made some subcategories on the discussion bit - surely it'd be obvious what is more notable (maybe not? Valhalla was up recently at DYK which was a pretty well-known thingy)

QUOTE(Rootology @ Sat 20th September 2008, 2:39pm) *

This is a really cool idea. Would it help motivate people to do things like, I name a stub, someone builds it out, in exchange for me giving them like fifty or a hundred edits on an article of their choice? Fifty good ones can net a DYK easy, a hundred a GA, or better...

Absolutely! Here's a funny one. I walked outside my house today on this fine spring moring where there is a patch of disturbed ground and I took a photo of Crofton Weed, a noxious weed here in Sydney. I was about to upload a photo and I notice someone made a stub on the same day i.e. today (!!!) - so I expanded it after some folks got off to a good start, and a miserable environemntla weed it is too all over the place. I didn't bother uploading my photo as somoene already had a cooler one

Ageratina_adenophora

Now I am hoping someone from Mexico can write about its ecological significance there and that would cap it off ncely, oh..and a vet too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.