Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Illusions
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Peter Damian
Tiptoey spots some stub removal of mine

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=240980810

and immediately reverts to stub form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=240984610

Wikipedia's banning policy states that "Any edits made in defiance of a ban may be reverted to enforce the ban, regardless of the merits of the edits themselves. As the banned user is not authorized to make those edits, there is no need to discuss them prior to reversion."

And removes the evidence from ANI

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=240983998

And note that any editor who even attempts to revert those much-needed improvements to Balzac's great work will be meatpuppets, and themselves banned!

Oh dear. Seems to have caused some disagreement.

May be reverted" doesn't mean "Must be reverted". Are you seriously saying it's not a valid edit? This isn't a 12 year old spamming their favorite band.
Alex
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 25th September 2008, 9:45pm) *

Tiptoey spots some stub removal of mine

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=240980810

and immediately reverts to stub form.

Wikipedia's banning policy states that "Any edits made in defiance of a ban may be reverted to enforce the ban, regardless of the merits of the edits themselves. As the banned user is not authorized to make those edits, there is no need to discuss them prior to reversion."

And removes the evidence from ANI

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=240983998

And note that any editor who even attempts to revert those much-needed improvements to Balzac's great work will be meatpuppets, and themselves banned!

How utterly stupid. Way to go Tiptoety, spending his time damaging Wikipedia!
Peter Damian
Iridescent spots this little bon mot, though

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=240987529

And Tiptoey's reverts to Medieval philosophy remain

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=240984620
Alex
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:00pm) *

By the way, when piping links, you don't need to leave spaces around the pipe.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:03pm) *

Your addition to Medieval philosophy was completely unsourced and didn't read brilliantly.

There were no additions except the links, plus one rearrangement of a sentence. What are you talking about?

Also Tiptoey clearly hasn't spotted that when he reverted 'to last version by 86.142.235.100', that IP is also a Damian address (since the comment clearly states it is).
Alex
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:05pm) *

QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:03pm) *

Your addition to Medieval philosophy was completely unsourced and didn't read brilliantly.

There were no additions except the links, plus one rearrangement of a sentence. What are you talking about?

Nevermind, my error.
Eva Destruction

The philosophy edits weren't a significant improvement, so whether or not they're reverted isn't worth the dramaz. Your edits to the Balzac were a significant improvement and I can justify re-adding it. "Any edits by this user may be reverted" doesn't equate to "All edits by this user must be reverted", as far as I'm concerned, but equally some things aren't worth fighting about.

(Ah, just saw the conversation above. The version he reverted to seems as valid as the "final" version).
Peter Damian
I see Tiptoey is some sort of policeman in real life. This bears out my point that the adminstration Wikipedia has become entirely the prerogative of the police. Anything that looks like disruption, even when it is improvement, is treated accordingly.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:09pm) *

I see Tiptoey is some sort of policeman in real life. This bears out my point that the adminstration Wikipedia has become entirely the prerogative of the police. Anything that looks like disruption, even when it is improvement, is treated accordingly.

A police cadet for the Portland City Police, not a "real" policeman (that's not outing, he's described himself as such on-wiki).
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:13pm) *

A police cadet for the Portland City Police, not a "real" policeman (that's not outing, he's described himself as such on-wiki).

Yes well that was an experiment. Next little project will be to create an FA by a sock.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:14pm) *

Yes well that was an experiment. Next little project will be to create an FA by a sock.

You'd not be the first. Although your writing style is very distinctive so you'd probably be spotted fairly quickly.
Alex
And now Tiptoety wants OTRS access. I thought people on OTRS were supposed to not be robots, and be able to use their "good judgement"?
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 25th September 2008, 11:06pm) *

And now Tiptoety wants OTRS access. I thought people on OTRS were supposed to not be robots, and be able to use their "good judgement"?

Alex, for once I totally agree with you.

I don't think Tiptoety is malicious - I don't even think he's wrong - but in all those oppose votes from me on RFAs of letter-of-the-law "human-bot hybrid" candidates (which you've got so annoyed with me about) this is the kind of thing I have in mind. My boilerplate "I don't support users who don't add content to the mainspace being given powers to overrule those who do" is for a reason.

An editor can be shit-hot on the huggle-reverts and memorising policy, but a good admin IMO needs to have demonstrated common sense, and in the Wikipedia environment that only comes from mainspace articles, since everything else on Wikipedia is incidental to (attempting to) improve the mainspace.

It's the exact same reason I've added suggested improvements by Greg, PoetGuy, Kelly M et al when they look to me like valid improvements, regardless of what policy says - and why I have no sympathy for the "technically that was permitted per policy" wikilawyers. The moment we start treating "policy" as more important than "content", the MMORPG faction has won.
Giggy
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 26th September 2008, 7:00am) *

I fixed this one, for the record.
everyking
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:14pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Thu 25th September 2008, 10:13pm) *

Outrageous! Trying to improve the encyclopedia while banned?! Clearly, Wikipedia would be better off if you didn't write that FA. High-quality volunteer work by individuals excluded for political reasons makes Jimbo cry.
Peter Damian
Another bizarre twist. I had a reply to my email to the Jimbo crowd. I won't say who it was.

[...] note that Alex/Majorly was blocked for reinstating the edits of Amorrow, one of the people who truly deserves the "revert all edits policy" if anyone does, after Alison removed them, so his opinion carries little weight we me. (If you didn't know, Morrow is an actual stalker, not the wiki kind of stalker who watches people's edits, but a real life stalker who follows women around and harasses them. He has been criminally convicted and just spent 9 months in jail for violating his parole by bringing a baseball bat to a meeting with one of the women he has harassed. One of his tactics is to edit the wiki biographies of these people by making "nice" edits, and then call them, discussing his edits and offering to meet with them personally as a condition of not making "not nice" edits.)

I replied

So your argument is, it's not OK to reinstate my edits, even though they are well-researched and they fill a gap in Wikipedia's coverage of these subjects? What if it were a mathematical proof that is covered in the standard literature in reliable sources &c, and I supplied the proof in Wikipedia. Your argument then would be to remove my edits, because of who made them, and regardless of the fact that they were a standard mathematical proof?

Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 26th September 2008, 6:20pm) *

Another bizarre twist. I had a reply to my email to the Jimbo crowd. I won't say who it was.

[...] note that Alex/Majorly was blocked for reinstating the edits of Amorrow, one of the people who truly deserves the "revert all edits policy" if anyone does, after Alison removed them, so his opinion carries little weight we me. (If you didn't know, Morrow is an actual stalker, not the wiki kind of stalker who watches people's edits, but a real life stalker who follows women around and harasses them. He has been criminally convicted and just spent 9 months in jail for violating his parole by bringing a baseball bat to a meeting with one of the women he has harassed. One of his tactics is to edit the wiki biographies of these people by making "nice" edits, and then call them, discussing his edits and offering to meet with them personally as a condition of not making "not nice" edits.)

I replied

So your argument is, it's not OK to reinstate my edits, even though they are well-researched and they fill a gap in Wikipedia's coverage of these subjects? What if it were a mathematical proof that is covered in the standard literature in reliable sources &c, and I supplied the proof in Wikipedia. Your argument then would be to remove my edits, because of who made them, and regardless of the fact that they were a standard mathematical proof?

Your anonymous correspondent's argument doesn't impress me. If you were editing BLPs, financially sensitive information, etc then yes, I could concede that "we can't take the chance" – but it's not like you're going to start stalking Balzac, or are trying to manipulate the market in French-literature stocks.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 26th September 2008, 6:58pm) *

Your anonymous correspondent's argument doesn't impress me. If you were editing BLPs, financially sensitive information, etc then yes, I could concede that "we can't take the chance" – but it's not like you're going to start stalking Balzac, or are trying to manipulate the market in French-literature stocks.

Quite. Also, it's conceded there has never been a problem with my editing (over 5 years worth) and that I have never had any blocks or disagreement over mainspace contributions. 'A far above average' contributor according to one of the Jimbo crowd. The block was purely over a comment made on Wikipedia Review that was perceived by Jimbo to be an insult to his lieutenant. An obviously political ban, nothing to do with real 'disruption' to the project. It gets more absurd by the second.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 26th September 2008, 6:27pm) *

Quite. Also, it's conceded there has never been a problem with my editing (over 5 years worth) and that I have never had any blocks or disagreement over mainspace contributions. 'A far above average' contributor according to one of the Jimbo crowd. The block was purely over a comment made on Wikipedia Review that was perceived by Jimbo to be an insult to his lieutenant. An obviously political ban, nothing to do with real 'disruption' to the project.

You're absolutely correct. You were blocked (again) for exposing and criticizing a leader of the project. Even those who support your ban don't deny this, but claim than you went about this in the wrong way.

Judging from your serious areas of interest and contributions, It's probably you, not the people who blocked you with their paraphilias and quackery, who should be running the project. You would not be the ideal candidate, but certainly better than what we have now.
Giggy
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 27th September 2008, 3:20am) *

I replied

Yes, because people believe that you wish to harm Wikipedia, and thus revert your edits thinking that you couldn't possibly do something useful.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Fri 26th September 2008, 11:16pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Fri 26th September 2008, 6:27pm) *

Quite. Also, it's conceded there has never been a problem with my editing (over 5 years worth) and that I have never had any blocks or disagreement over mainspace contributions. 'A far above average' contributor according to one of the Jimbo crowd. The block was purely over a comment made on Wikipedia Review that was perceived by Jimbo to be an insult to his lieutenant. An obviously political ban, nothing to do with real 'disruption' to the project.

You're absolutely correct. You were blocked (again) for exposing and criticizing a leader of the project. Even those who support your ban don't deny this, but claim than you went about this in the wrong way.

Judging from your serious areas of interest and contributions, It's probably you, not the people who blocked you with their paraphilias and quackery, who should be running the project. You would not be the ideal candidate, but certainly better than what we have now.

I would not be the ideal candidate, because of my famously volatile temper and predilection for theatrics. This is why I have never bothered to apply for adminship in 5 years (plus the fact that administration doesn't seem to involve writing articles at all).

My idea (possibly this deserves a separate thread) would be a category 'established editor'. EE's would have no power to block, but they could not be blocked either. They would be elected by their peers, the other EE's. They could also be expelled. Criterion for admission would be evidence of good work on articles, respect for Wikipedian ethos (yes, shock) and so on.

This would devolve (in effect) decisions about editorial content from decisions about policing and obvious vandalism and so forth.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 27th September 2008, 7:02am) *

My idea (possibly this deserves a separate thread) would be a category 'established editor'. EE's would have no power to block, but they could not be blocked either. They would be elected by their peers, the other EE's. They could also be expelled. Criterion for admission would be evidence of good work on articles, respect for Wikipedian ethos (yes, shock) and so on.

This would devolve (in effect) decisions about editorial content from decisions about policing and obvious vandalism and so forth.

Something along these lines is exactly what is needed. I would go further and suggest that administrators (= sysops) could not also be established editors (= editors) or mediators/arbitrators, and that decisions to protect or delete articles for content reasons (as opposed to vandalism) should belong to editors. This would not solve all of Wikipedia's problems - hardly - but would begin the process of moving away from Rule-by-Sysops, and create a new class with a vested interest in maintaining its privileges and immunities relative to sysops. Presently, anyone who wishes not to be bullied by ignorants and freaks has little choice but to become an administrator (who are de facto virtually immune to blocks) themselves, or quit.
everyking
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 27th September 2008, 8:14am) *

Presently, anyone who wishes not to be bullied by ignorants and freaks has little choice but to become an administrator (who are de facto virtually immune to blocks) themselves, or quit.

I can attest that adminship provides no immunity to bullying by other admins. It does make it much harder for them to eliminate you with one shot--but they can still taser you over and over again.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 27th September 2008, 8:02am) *

Interesting. Would you see a requirement for excluding the multiple-identity loons from entry to this class, and if so, what mechanism to exclude them would you propose? If one got past and was detected, but the other "established editors" could not reach a consensus to expel, would resolution happen within the existing mock-legal structure? If candidates have to sign up to the "wikipedian ethos", how does one set about changing that "ethos" without being labeled a liar and thrown out?

Are you certain you're not re-conceiving the same three-ring circus, minus only the power to block?

Peter Damian
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Sat 27th September 2008, 9:40am) *

Interesting. Would you see a requirement for excluding the multiple-identity loons from entry to this class, and if so, what mechanism to exclude them would you propose?

The requirement (for EE) would be identification (privately, possibly to independent third party). This is not rocket science.

If one got past and was detected, but the other "established editors" could not reach a consensus to expel, would resolution happen within the existing mock-legal structure?

See point above. On expulsion from the 'guild': the EE guild has a vested interest in maintaining its integrity and reputation (perhaps the ultimate court of appeal could still be Arcom or Wales). So it would need to have its own 'trial by peer group' body. I think much or all of the 'Giano' problem is caused by the resentment at being tried by those who are not peers, or collegiates.

If candidates have to sign up to the "wikipedian ethos", how does one set about changing that "ethos" without being labeled a liar and thrown out?

Membership of EE would be by election (much as partners are chosen in accountancy and law firms). Criteria for election would be set by the peer group. Since the EE guild has a vested interest in maintaining the quality of the encyclopedia (they have no other power apart from the creation of content) it would not be in their interest to maintain an ethos that was counter-productive to this.

Are you certain you're not re-conceiving the same three-ring circus, minus only the power to block?

See the remark above. The difference in interest is key. Currently, successful adminship involves vandal-fighting, successful election requires proving (usually by lying) that one can handle these matters diplomatically and gently. That results in the current environment and its obsession with civility oddly combined with the ever-present incivility of eviction by block.

A group whose vested interest is in content creation would not have the same problems.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.