Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pope John I conspiracy theories
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Doc glasgow
Since Pope John Paul I died alone in September 1978, uncertainty has clouded the official version of his passing. The suddenness of the death, and the Vatican's fumbling of the ceremonial and legal death procedures (such as issuing a legitimate death certificate) have added to a popular suspicion that "The Smiling Pope" was murdered due to his perceived reformist zeal....

No, it isn't the blurb from the latest Dan Brown wannabe, it is the serious lead to an article on that world-renowned accurate encyclopedia that's bringing knowledge to all mankind......

The sad thing is that Pope John Paul I conspiracy theories has existed (with this same lead) for 18 months, and despite dozens of edits only now does someone have the good sense to suggest that wikipedia might be better off without it. But guess what? There are some people think it should stay.

Wikipedia: essential travel reading........................

..............................................................for your next alien abduction.
The Wales Hunter
Problem is, I know few things about Pope John Paul I - in fact, just that he was only Pontiff for a short time and there were rumours he was bumped off.

Though clearly a small section in the Pope John II article would be more than sufficient!

Of course, I'm no Catholic and when I think of Pope John Paul II my first thought is "Polish goalkeeper," while the current incumbent makes me think "Hitler Youth".

Doc glasgow
QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Tue 30th September 2008, 1:00am) *

Problem is, I know few things about Pope John Paul I - in fact, just that he was only Pontiff for a short time and there were rumours he was bumped off.

Though clearly a small section in the Pope John II article would be more than sufficient!

Of course, I'm no Catholic and when I think of Pope John Paul II my first thought is "Polish goalkeeper," while the current incumbent makes me think "Hitler Youth".

Fair enough, but one would hope that the world's greatest encyclopedia would do better than your average two minute word association game.

Gold heart
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 30th September 2008, 1:03am) *

Fair enough, but one would hope that the world's greatest encyclopedia would do better than your average two minute word association game.

Not fair enough. As a Catholic, I just hope this forum is not turning into an anti-Roman-Catholic rant and rave site. I ask you to withdraw your opprobrious remarks. Thanks in advance. smile.gif
everyking
There are entire books about this stuff, for crying out loud.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 30th September 2008, 1:29am) *

That hardly justifies the crap on wikipedia. It's just the usual, "in theory, hypothetical speaking, someone could maybe want, sometimes, some year, to write a good article on something akin to this subject. So keep this unusuable crap in case".

Nothing stopping you writing that article.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Mon 29th September 2008, 5:17pm) *

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 30th September 2008, 1:03am) *

Not fair enough. As a Catholic, I just hope this forum is not turning into an anti-Roman-Catholic rant and rave site. I ask you to withdraw your opprobrious remarks. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

You have a point. The current guy is waaaaaaay too old to remind of Hitler youth.

They found John Paul I dead in bed, and presumably they did the Maxwell silver hammer trick on him, and that was that. If the Catholics wanted fewer conspiracy theories they should do more papal autopsies-- though I see no reason why some blood samples weren't taken on this guy, just for the archives. It's not like you can say Roman Catholics have a big prohibition against keeping preserved tissues and body parts and relic stuff like that. They love it; always have.

wikiwhistle
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 30th September 2008, 1:35am) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 30th September 2008, 1:29am) *

That hardly justifies the crap on wikipedia.

Yes it does, according to the wiki rules. If there are books on it and not all of them are self-published on lulu, there's some "reliable sources" (for some people believing or saying this, I mean, rather than that it's true.)
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Mon 29th September 2008, 5:35pm) *
That hardly justifies the crap on wikipedia.
I'd rather have a shitty article than no article, because it makes it plainer to our readers that we're a mishmash of good articles, debacles, and everything in between. If we're going to be something less than reliable - and, even as somebody who's a big fan of Wikipedia, I think we always are - we might as well be transparent about it. And I don't even intend that as a snide remark; I quite sincerely believe that it's better to have an encyclopaedia that anybody poking around will realize should be read with skepticism than one that does a good imitation of a serious source.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.