Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OrangeMarlin vs FT2
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > FT2
Peter Damian
See below. Note the view that NLP is pseudoscience now appears to originate with myself and Headleydown (rather than the scientific community). Incredible. How long can this go on?

[As an aside, I am in correspondence with a reputable scientist who has a concern about the whole NLP thing and its implicit support on Wikipedia. This will eventually go public - more later]

I would suggest that FT2 recuse himself from this discussion. His known antipathy towards me in his well-known one-man vendetta to besmirch my reputation, and his well-known support of pseudoscientific concepts such as NLP indicates he cannot provide any valid discussion to this request. OrangeMarlin Talk• Contributions 22:46, 5 October 2008 (UTC)

Fairly inaccurate, OM.

I can't speak for others but my understanding of "vendetta" usually implies a lot more than "posted one matter for others, on one occasion". Far from "known antipathy" I was in fact recused in the formal arbcom process and also have not treated you with notable hostility that I am aware of, whether past or present. Feel free to correct me if this is mistaken.

It is questionable whether your view ("well known") is representative in any way. It is a view that ultimately stems from two POV warriors, both now banned, and both of whom have deep long-term personal hostility. I am unaware of any other independent credible concern. If you feel there is, please consider mediation (as I openly offered one earlier), which I'd be glad to accept either on-wiki or by email as you wish.
FT2 (Talk | email) 23:33, 5 October 2008 (UTC)

Your hostility towards me was evident in the secret vendetta that you started that had no basis--your whole action was uncivil, mean-spirited and cruel. You have never once apologized to me for your horrible behavior towards me. In fact, this is the first time you've ever responded to me, and it is nothing more than a list of excuses and inaccuracies. Your biased attitude towards me, your pushing of NLP, a well-known pseudoscience, and other editing behavior obligates you to step aside. OrangeMarlin Talk• Contributions 23:41, 5 October 2008 (UTC)

You may want to re-read what "vendetta" means. It means a long standing campaign of hostility ("an often prolonged series of retaliatory, vengeful, or hostile acts"). Also consider the person who posted the decision may not actually have made the decision, notice that good faith applies here as elsewhere (don't merely assume hostility without good cause), and notice the use of the word "recused". As always if any statement I have made is evidenced as significantly inaccurate, please feel free to identify the statement, and the evidence, and ask for an explanation. And always, if you want to sort out anything on this, public or private mediation as you prefer. Let me know which. FT2 (Talk | email) 00:10, 6 October 2008 (UTC)

Your attacks on me were obvious. And whether you think you did or not is irrelevant. My point is that you're a well-known supporter of obvious pseudoscientific concepts AND have a longstanding feud (vendetta is fine with me) with this editor. Given that, you should recuse yourself. If you ever want to apologize to me, please do so publicly--no mediation required. Otherwise, my point is made and is valid, and you have to make no further excuses for your behavior. OrangeMarlin Talk• Contributions 00:24, 6 October 2008 (UTC)

Can you point me to a selection of some of them, perhaps? (Other than one known post that was made on behalf of a committee, that is.) You have said "your attacks", and "obvious", so you make it seem that asking for examples will be easy. My impression though is that you will not do so, for no credible examples of "personal attack" or indeed any kind of "longstanding feud" in fact exist. FT2 (Talk | email) 01:09, 6 October 2008 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RFA...rent_requests_2
Sxeptomaniac
I see OM's dialing the drama all the way to 11 these days, as opposed to his usual setting around 9 or 10.
Peter Damian
Sic continuat:

Cla68, you're so far off base that I'm watching the Red Sox and you're playing Lacrosse. Your continued personal attacks are very amusing in quality, so I actually appreciate them--take that as a compliment. I do admit that I waited to see exactly how you were going to opine on this conversation, because I know you find new levels to push my buttons, though they are so well written and subtly humorous that even I laugh so hard that I believe I teared up. On to the point at hand. Everyone else has made perfectly appropriate, and less emotional, comments about FT2's behavior. My two points were simply that FT2's interaction with me, one of the solid defenders of removing pseudoscience from this project, and FT2 's promotion of some of the most solidly pseudoscientific articles on Wikipedia, neurolinguistic programming, are sufficient to conclude that FT2 recuse himself. BTW, FT2, I spend more time writing articles than digging up all the slights you made against me. Just recuse yourself, and we'll be done. OrangeMarlin Talk• Contributions 06:04, 7 October 2008 (UTC)

There is also the matter of your "obvious" and "longterm" vendetta/feud (whichever term you prefer). We need to resolve this, if indeed it has any substance at all. While I notice you're replying to Cla68, you seem to be trying hard to now minimize the matter you yourself alleged as a major concern, and which you said was "obvious", "longterm" and "cruel". Obvious longterm things tend to be evidenced on-wiki. As soon as you link to this - and not just to one page I posted for the committee - I'll be able to help put any concern right. FT2 (Talk | email) 06:26, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...Orangemarlin.22

The whole arbitration of which this is a sideshow is completely absurd. Because Arbcom cannot make judgments about content, they are trying to distinguish science from pseudoscience by the behaviour of the editors.
dtobias
OM has historically aligned himself with cliques which use the tactic of trying to discredit or suppress ideas by the "guilt by association" of connecting them with banned users, so it's somewhat amusing to see that tactic being used against him now. Sauce for the goose and the gander, and all that...
Peter Damian
Ow! Ouch! Scratch.

No minimization, I just gave up because you're not listening, using various legalisms to deflect my more serious points about your involvement in this case. For example, Jim said "blocked OM out of the process", not "blocked OM." Of course, you did block me out of the process by a method that did not require you to actually block me (emphasis added so that FT2 cannot possible complain that I accused him of actually blocking me). So you feigned innocence by obviously misinterpreting Jim's statement, a move that a cheap lawyer would use. You know precisely what Jim meant, and Jim's language was very precise and clear. Anyways, time to move on, because you're intentionally or unintentionally ignoring my points, you're wrapped up in defending your actions against me, and ignoring the whole point that you should not be involved. Cla68 is a much more amusing to me than you are, which is why I responded to him. Besides, Cla68 actually writes articles that I'd read. OrangeMarlin Talk• Contributions 14:54, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Requests_for_arbitration/Pseudoscience"

LaraLove
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 7th October 2008, 11:56am) *

Ow! Ouch! Scratch.

No minimization, I just gave up because you're not listening, using various legalisms to deflect my more serious points about your involvement in this case. For example, Jim said "blocked OM out of the process", not "blocked OM." Of course, you did block me out of the process by a method that did not require you to actually block me (emphasis added so that FT2 cannot possible complain that I accused him of actually blocking me). So you feigned innocence by obviously misinterpreting Jim's statement, a move that a cheap lawyer would use. You know precisely what Jim meant, and Jim's language was very precise and clear. Anyways, time to move on, because you're intentionally or unintentionally ignoring my points, you're wrapped up in defending your actions against me, and ignoring the whole point that you should not be involved. Cla68 is a much more amusing to me than you are, which is why I responded to him. Besides, Cla68 actually writes articles that I'd read. OrangeMarlin Talk• Contributions 14:54, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Requests_for_arbitration/Pseudoscience"

What a cry baby. "Baseless", he said. Laughable. OM is a joke. Good to see Jp let go of the leash... if he ever really held on to it to begin with.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 7th October 2008, 2:26am) *

The whole arbitration of which this is a sideshow is completely absurd. Because Arbcom cannot make judgments about content, they are trying to distinguish science from pseudoscience by the behaviour of the editors.

Oh, yes. Very much like USSR-style Communism and Lysenko. After your Vavilovs are killed, your crops begin to fail, since plants don't respond to political mojo.

But it's amazing how long you can keep this game up, if you have enough new Russians or Chinese to feed the scheme. There's one born every minute.
Cla68
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Tue 7th October 2008, 6:44pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 7th October 2008, 11:56am) *

Ow! Ouch! Scratch.

What a cry baby. "Baseless", he said. Laughable. OM is a joke. Good to see Jp let go of the leash... if he ever really held on to it to begin with.

Why hasn't OM's "mentor", JPGordon, intervened in this discussion? His absence is telling. If I were FT2, I would be emailing JP and asking, "Where are you? Aren't you supposed to be, like, mentoring OM? Are you unsure as to what that is supposed to mean?"
Peter Damian
So the consensus on this forum is that, based on FT2's behaviour (polite and reasonable) and OrangeMarlin's behaviour (rude and arrogant) pseudoscience wins over science?
Angela Kennedy
QUOTE(dtobias @ Tue 7th October 2008, 1:38pm) *

OM has historically aligned himself with cliques which use the tactic of trying to discredit or suppress ideas by the "guilt by association" of connecting them with banned users, so it's somewhat amusing to see that tactic being used against him now. Sauce for the goose and the gander, and all that...

Yes, this is a key issue. They (the cliques which I think you're referring to) claim to be 'SPOV' but adopt highly illogical and irrational arguments to advance their point of view- which is not very 'scientific', ironically. They are also highly inconsistent, happily promoting POV's that others might see as 'pseudoscience', with fair reason (claims about cognitive behavioural therapy, for example, which is VERY similar with certain tenets of NLP, ironically).

Having said that, the other main problem here is the use of the word 'pseudoscience' which is a mere construct and one that has problems of both validity and reliability in the multiple ways in which it is used. It is more often just used as shorthand for 'quackery' (another problematic word), as is the word 'fringe'- all highly unstable linguistic constructs often used confusingly, and/or perjoratively and in ad hominem ways (to prejudice people's views about something).

So- for example, recent studies on the efficacy on carnitine in people with 'CFS' was dismissed as 'pseudoscience' (elsewhere- not on WP) recently, because carnitine is sold in health food shops! The fact that at least scientific principles were adopted in the study (not necessarily well- but nevertheless, they were attempted) meant nothing: Use of carnitine is 'alternative medicine' and therefore 'pseudoscience' per se!

NLP SHOULD absolutely be critiqued for it's neglect and sometimes cynical mis-use of the scientific method, its frequent inability to be falsified according to Popperian method, and its use of ideology and polemic (and yes, logical fallacy) in attempting to gain status as a practice. But then, so should CBT, psycho-analysis, probably all psychotherapies, and possibly psychiatry too (and don't even get me started on 'stress' research!).

But calling NLP pseudoscience is problematic- and looks like ad hominem. I'm not saying Peter is necessarily doing this- but he, like OM and all those trying to get a more critical appraisal of NLP on the wikipedia pages, need to become more consistent in their approach, because the risk of making logical fallacies is greater when polemic is relied upon- even in those claiming to be SPOV. Calling things pseudscientific- without a clear understanding of why the word is so problematic- weakens the case.

THIS seems to be why perhaps OM is not succeeding against FT2 so well. OM is a "I'm right, I'm a SCIENTIST" bull-dozer- but with no apparent understanding of the complexities of the issues around claims to scientific authority. FT2 is able to sound more reasonable because OM- and others like him- do not. They're inconsistent at best, and rely on 'poisoning the well', guilt by association, appeals to authority, and strawmen fallacies to advance their argument.

OM recently put words on jdwollffe's talk page to the effect of he wanted to be let loose on the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome article to get rid of - I think it was 'cruft' he said. This chilled me to the bone- because OM tramps around wikipedia like some (to paraphrase Moulton's very funny comment on Wikiversity about someone else) a testosterone filled jabberwocky, causing intellectual chaos in his wake. He's not the only one though. The thought of him working on the CFS article is just terrifying- because he is not someone who can be relied upon to be neutral or even truly scientific in his approach, and CFS sufferers have already been devastated by bad science- and public dissemination of bad science - as it is.

I say all this because I do understand Peter's frustrations about the NLP article- some of which I share.

Peter Damian
QUOTE(Angela Kennedy @ Wed 8th October 2008, 11:37am) *

FT2 is able to sound more reasonable because OM- and others like him- do not. They're inconsistent at best, and rely on 'poisoning the well', guilt by association, appeals to authority, and strawmen fallacies to advance their argument.

FT2 of course has never resorted to poisoning the well, guilt by association, appeals to authority and straw man.
Angela Kennedy
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 8th October 2008, 12:12pm) *

QUOTE(Angela Kennedy @ Wed 8th October 2008, 11:37am) *

FT2 is able to sound more reasonable because OM- and others like him- do not. They're inconsistent at best, and rely on 'poisoning the well', guilt by association, appeals to authority, and strawmen fallacies to advance their argument.

FT2 of course has never resorted to poisoning the well, guilt by association, appeals to authority and straw man.

Oh- on the contrary. I've seen exactly the same sort of thing from him- on a number of subjects. In fact- calling him on them more could considerably strengthen your arguments (as long as you refrain as much as possible from same in good faith of course- maybe that doesn't even need saying).

I say this as someone who did try logical argument at wikipedia - only to find irrationality and power games winning the day and me being 'excommunicated' - so personally I still think you are fighting a losing battle at Wikipedia. That's only my opinion though. I do think it is sad, though, that people like OM help create the very problems they get so irate about.

But I do see how awful the NLP situation is over there. It's very frustrating. Emblematic of WP though in many ways.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 8th October 2008, 9:07am) *

So the consensus on this forum is that, based on FT2's behaviour (polite and reasonable) and OrangeMarlin's behaviour (rude and arrogant) pseudoscience wins over science?

No. Through that may be the consensus in your post.

The consensus in this post may be that the consensus in wikipedia is as you describe. Which is about as useful as any instance of mistaking a correlation of words under screen names for "consensus".
Sxeptomaniac
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Wed 8th October 2008, 1:07am) *

As far as I'm concerned, the whole argument doesn't have much to do with pseudoscience at all. It looks to me like OM is engaged in yet another pissing contest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.