Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did anyone here discuss the Seed7 language article?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
The AfD was here.

Bizarre. 3 deletes and 6 keeps, yet it was deleted. (I know, I know.....)

I only bring this up because they're talking about it on Reddit......
where someone made a valid point.

Wikipedia has articles about joke programming languages.....why not one for a legitimate, real language, despite being obscure?

Wonder who Mr. Mertes pissed off.

(My fave: someone named "stevage" said "It's not a conspiracy though." Fool.)
Somey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 16th October 2008, 1:59am) *

I'd assume all he really had to do was show up and defend the article's right to exist, which is usually enough for a WP admin to cry "spammer!" and "original research!" and "trivial!" as a pretext for deleting a perfectly harmless (and no doubt somewhat informative) little article.

Call me naive, but if someone goes to all the trouble to assemble a programming language, release it under a free license, and support it, there should be a Wikipedia article about it no matter how few people download it every month. I could see them being picky about application software because there are zillions of worthless applications, but programming languages are a different story, IMO... And frankly, articles about obscure technical subjects are one of the few things Wikipedia is actually good for, assuming they can manage to maintain such an article without trying to destroy the creator's personal reputation in the process.
Meringue
Maybe it's all for the best. He'd probably have had to waste too much time defending the article against vandals.
Lar
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 16th October 2008, 3:54am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 16th October 2008, 1:59am) *

I'd assume all he really had to do was show up and defend the article's right to exist, which is usually enough for a WP admin to cry "spammer!" and "original research!" and "trivial!" as a pretext for deleting a perfectly harmless (and no doubt somewhat informative) little article.

Call me naive, but if someone goes to all the trouble to assemble a programming language, release it under a free license, and support it, there should be a Wikipedia article about it no matter how few people download it every month. I could see them being picky about application software because there are zillions of worthless applications, but programming languages are a different story, IMO... And frankly, articles about obscure technical subjects are one of the few things Wikipedia is actually good for, assuming they can manage to maintain such an article without trying to destroy the creator's personal reputation in the process.

In an ideal world I'd tend to agree. This piqued my interest enough to go nosing around and I think the langauge still, 2 years later, is quite obscure. Unless I missed some significant links in my search, it doesn't seem to have a lot of press other than self generated. It has some code stashed on Literateprograms (a neat wiki with some neat technical enhancements to make codesharing easier)... you should check it out if you haven't. But I digress

I just don't know if it would be easy to convince others at a new AfD that this is a keep. Or that the "if it's tech, and it's around a while, it's good enough" theory would work. I like it though. And in an ideal world it would be a keep. I don't see the harm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.