Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fat man who came back
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > ArbCom Elections > 2008 Arbcom elections
Peter Damian
I like the cut of his jib - he is the same as Obesity, yes?

Greetings, neighbors and colleagues. I am the Fat Man Who Never Came Back. I have voiced my ongoing displeasure with the Committee's performance this year, complaining that the committee as a whole is ineffectual, indecisive, uncommunicative and largely unresponsive to the demands and needs of the community. Many colleagues who share this point of view, or who otherwise tire of the "types" of candidates being perennially regurgitated, have begged me to run for a spot on the Committee. I have avoided declaring my candidacy in the hope that several bold, fresh and plausible voices from outside the crowd of AN/I and RfARB regulars would step onto the stage. For the most part, they have not materialized; the names I see on the ballot (while sometimes indicative of decent editors and administrators, impressive in their encyclopedic accomplishments) do not inspire confidence that an overhaul of the way ArbCom functions is likely, or even possible. With seven open seats, this may be the only real opportunity to radically change the composition and disposition of the Committee over the next few years.

The committee needs an injection of independence, clear communication and common sense. I support a more welcoming environment for expert content contributors and strong writers as well as an end to internal cronyism, favoritism and needless behind-the-scenes machinations. Though the Committee does not dictate editorial policy, I would not refrain from using my position on the Committee to throw considerable weight behind reforms that would help bolster Wikipedia's prestige with the outside world: greater sensitivity toward BLPs; exploring the implementation of flagged revisions; and an easy and straightforward process for demoting poorly performing administrators. Let the Fat Man help regain your trust and confidence.--The Fat Man Who Never Came Back (talk) 13:54, 24 November 2008 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=253725496

This is exactly what is needed. Why did no one think of that before?
One
The statement sounds like the work of a serious candidacy.

I wish Jechochman's first question to him didn't make it seem like a joke.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th November 2008, 11:11am) *

"I would use the weight of ArbCom to push through policy reforms" is very likely a synonym to "I have no interest in being electable".

We shall see, though.
Littleunknownadmin
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th November 2008, 4:11pm) *

I think Jechohman just killed his chances for ArbCom with that question. It didn't sound like a joke Fat Man's candidacy.
AlioTheFool
I'd vote for him if I could
JoseClutch
QUOTE(Littleunknownadmin @ Mon 24th November 2008, 11:36am) *

I think Jechohman just killed his chances for ArbCom with that question. It didn't sound like a joke Fat Man's candidacy.

I am not trying to say he would be a bad choice, but his chance of election was already "rhymes with hero".

Of course, a resulting blowup might put a dent in Jehochman's "plausible but not certain" candidacy.

And voters are ever fickle.
Littleunknownadmin
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Mon 24th November 2008, 4:47pm) *

QUOTE(Littleunknownadmin @ Mon 24th November 2008, 11:36am) *

I am not trying to say he would be a bad choice, but his chance of election was already "rhymes with hero".

Of course, a resulting blowup might put a dent in Jehochman's "plausible but not certain" candidacy.

And voters are ever fickle.

Yea candidates aren't supposed to be involved in other candidates elections, Secret/Jaranda also just killed his small chances by reverting a new user candidacy. Both users should withdraw before there is a shit fest.
JoseClutch
Jaranda did not kill his chances - you cannot kill what never existed.
Littleunknownadmin
Seems like Jaranda apologized in his talk page, while Jechohman still hasn't rebutted his question.
Obesity
QUOTE(One @ Mon 24th November 2008, 11:11am) *

Don't worry, One; it serves The Fat Man right, after his equally pointless opening volley to George the Dragon, who, since then, has offered a series of very thoughtful responses to the "real" questions, as many of you have noted.

I spoke to TFM on Skype video chat last night (yes, he's really fat in person), and he believes that fat jokes / food jokes are to be expected and even welcomed.
Lar
QUOTE(Obesity @ Thu 27th November 2008, 7:38am) *

I spoke to TFM on Skype video chat last night (yes, he's really fat in person), and he believes that fat jokes / food jokes are to be expected and even welcomed.

Obesity:

(Apropos of nothing...) I was unaware that one could talk to oneself via Skype video chat. Do you know anything at all about how that works? No particular reason for that question, of course.
Jehochman
I consider The Fat Man to be a serious candidate. Humor is a useful in many situations, as suggested by my follow up question. I would not offer up a joke to a newbie or somebody not serious.

People should not automatically disqualify a candidate just because they are not an administrator. If the community trusts somebody enough to elect them to arbcom, I am sure they could also become an administrator if they wished.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(Jehochman @ Thu 27th November 2008, 8:26am) *

People should not automatically disqualify a candidate just because they are not an administrator. If the community trusts somebody enough to elect them to arbcom, I am sure they could also become an administrator if they wished.

People tend to assume the reverse, though. If the community does not trust someone enough to make them an admin, they will not trust them enough to make them an arb. I do not know if this is true, though. Speaking personally, I would probably support Giano for ArbCom but not for Admin, there may be other examples. Arbs, at least, are typically moderated by a dozen other votes.
Alex
The only joke candidate is Trojanpony.
Alison
QUOTE(Obesity @ Thu 27th November 2008, 4:38am) *

Tsk, tsk.

I spoke with same Fat Man last week on Skype, too, and suspect he's quite the handsome, svelte gent in RL.

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.