Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Least qualified candidates
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy > ArbCom Elections > 2008 Arbcom elections
opinionated spectator
Many of the candidates seem to be joke candidacies. For example, TrojanPony's candidate statement read as follows, "I'm just a very nice guy. smile.gif" Should Wikipedia start preventing these candidacies and block editors who try to disrupt the project?
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(opinionated spectator @ Sat 29th November 2008, 10:34am) *

Many of the candidates seem to be joke candidacies. For example, TrojanPony's candidate statement read as follows, "I'm just a very nice guy. smile.gif" Should Wikipedia start preventing these candidacies and block editors who try to disrupt the project?

Only if they succeed in actually disrupting anything, which is unlikely. Contrary to popular belief not all joking is disruptive, and even then not all disruption is harmful.

Even the United States doesn't incarcerate third-party candidates who run for president, even those who are willfully disrupting the election and whose success probability is equal or less than TrojanPony.

There's no need to formally tighten the standards to disqualify frivolous candidates when we can simply choose not to vote for them. Plus some people will just want to raise the bar again and again every time they see a candidate who is patently unelectable despite meeting whatever the current requirements are.

I mean... just look at RFA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.