Full Version: FT2 NLP Discredited
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > FT2
Docknell
Its official

I guess you've seen this before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vil.../ACFeedback#FT2

Here is another interesting connection:

NLP is in the top 10 discredited interventions, especially for substance abuse

Clinician's Guide to Evidence-based Practices (2008)
John C. Norcross, Thomas P. Hogan, Gerald P. Koocher

Judging by the poll on FT2, he is also in the top 10 discredited treatments for WP abuse.

NLP is probably discredited because NLP was developed via the abuse of alcohol and cocaine by its main developers back in the 70s and 80s.

FT2 is discredited partly because he was given status and power via WP abuse, and partly because of continued abuse.

That kind of figures!

Doc
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Docknell @ Mon 22nd December 2008, 7:05pm) *

NLP is probably discredited because NLP was developed via the abuse of alcohol and cocaine by its main developers back in the 70s and 80s.
FT2 is discredited partly because he was given status and power via WP abuse, and partly because of continued abuse.

Not exactly news......
Docknell
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 23rd December 2008, 5:27am) *

QUOTE(Docknell @ Mon 22nd December 2008, 7:05pm) *

Not exactly news......

The FT2 stuff isn't news

The NLP finding is (2008). Considering FT2's obvious interests, it adds to the discredit of both NLP and FT2.

Doc

wikiwhistle
Could you post a link to the 2008 study please, if it's anywhere online, or any discussion of it? I'm interested in stuff like that. I also enjoyed your alcohol and cocaine comment. biggrin.gif When I read about the founders of NLP (I'm interested in it as I have an old friend who studied it and believes in it, spending thousands of pounds; he hasn't achieved what he wanted to in life though, and strangely has alway been into drugs- maybe it's another 'short cut' to a different state of mind as NLP claims to be.) I was surprised at their very chequered past.
Docknell
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 23rd December 2008, 2:00pm) *

Could you post a link to the 2008 study please, if it's anywhere online, or any discussion of it? I'm interested in stuff like that. I also enjoyed your alcohol and cocaine comment. biggrin.gif When I read about the founders of NLP (I'm interested in it as I have an old friend who studied it and believes in it, spending thousands of pounds; he hasn't achieved what he wanted to in life though, and strangely has alway been into drugs- maybe it's another 'short cut' to a different state of mind as NLP claims to be.) I was surprised at their very chequered past.

Sure, here's a link

http://books.google.com/books?id=5-Plk1pAz...dw7hH#PPA199,M1

NLP is also within the top 30 most discredited mental health treatments list (in the 2006 study), alongside equine therapy, re-parenting, dolphin assisted therapy, and scared straight programs. It was rated as more discredited than bioenergetic therapy and emotional freedom technique(EFT) and much more discredited than some of the more awful attack therapies of the excessive 60s and 70s.

Its a straight bust!

The FT2 history leaps to mind.

Doc
wikiwhistle
Lol thanks, I love it! Ironically my friend I mentioned above is a veritable 'tick the box' when it comes to having 'studied' these discredited therapies. But hey I've studied a fair few of them myself.
HappyWanderer
QUOTE(Docknell @ Tue 23rd December 2008, 10:20pm) *

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 23rd December 2008, 2:00pm) *

Sure, here's a link

http://books.google.com/books?id=5-Plk1pAz...dw7hH#PPA199,M1

NLP is also within the top 30 most discredited mental health treatments list (in the 2006 study), alongside equine therapy, re-parenting, dolphin assisted therapy, and scared straight programs. It was rated as more discredited than bioenergetic therapy and emotional freedom technique(EFT) and much more discredited than some of the more awful attack therapies of the excessive 60s and 70s.

Its a straight bust!

The FT2 history leaps to mind.

Doc

I wonder if our friend FT2 is into that as well. He surely seems to be interested.
Moulton
A more interesting question than that posed by the plethora of discredited therapies is the question of the prevailing dysfunctional culture that screws people up to the point where they are desperate to be healed any way they can from the mishugas of their profoundly dysfunctional culture.

Notice the fixation in the Wikiculture with the dynamics of the Crime and Punishment Cultural Model.

Everywhere you turn there is Narcissistic Injury, Spammish Inquisitions, Scandalous Allegations, Scapegoating Rituals, Spanking Fetishes, Scarlet Lettering, etc, etc.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that the whole cultural model is whacked?

Doesn't anyone read Dostoevsky any more?
Son of a Yeti

Discussion (12 / 56 / -44 / 17.64%)

Seems this guy is about as popular as a lame duck president with both a major war and a big financial crisis on his record.

evilgrin.gif
Peter Damian
The best source on Bandler (cocaine and alcohol abuse) that I know is this

http://www.geocities.com/Bandlertrial/bandler1.html

Thank you for the other ref, Docknell. By the way (as far as I can see) all resistance is over re the NLP stuff. Open season. See my note on the NLP talk page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.