Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4chan vs. Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Giggy
4chan is to be the Main Page featured article on Jan 14. There's a thread on the site's /b/ board which discusses how to prevent this from happening: http://img.4chan.org/b/res/108849944.html / http://www.webcitation.org/5dlWuqpn3

Having given up on the concept of Wikipedia since writing the 4chan article I'm amused by the whole thing.
EricBarbour
article is locked...where the fuck is Grawp when we need him
does anyone know how to get a hold of Grawp....he's the expert at this shit
evilgrin.gif Try Wikipedia Review's tarpit, you fags.

/b/tards. They never change.
I am forced to agree with WitnessX:
You are all fucking morons.

Sylar
wat

I like it how posts somehow suddenly disappear without notice. That's pretty cool.

I also like it how people get banned just for stating their real opinions. Good site.

I wonder why Alison cares if a shitty site like ED is temporarily vandalized.

Also, it seems that from now on, I'll have to edit my own posts wiki-style in order to post new stuff.
Somey
QUOTE(Sylar @ Mon 12th January 2009, 1:50am) *

wat

I like it how posts somehow suddenly disappear without notice. That's pretty cool.

I like it how I can delete posts that say nothing but the word "wat" without notice. That's even cooler!
Alison
QUOTE(Sylar @ Sun 11th January 2009, 11:50pm) *

wat

I also like it how people get banned just for stating their real opinions. Good site.

And quit vandalizing ED, Jeremy. I know you're at it because 1) you hit the Poetlister article as it was mentioned here, 2) you hit Proab's talkpage over there, 3) you hate Ritegroic so you got him too and 4) it's what ya do.

Booring! bored.gif
Somey

You're not "banned," you're just on a 24-hour posting restriction until you sober up!

Still, don't tempt me...
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Alison @ Sun 11th January 2009, 11:56pm) *

Booring! bored.gif

Yeah, at least post something a little smarter than /b/ level shit......
Somey
Also, it seems that from now on, I'll have to edit my own posts wiki-style in order to post new stuff.

It makes for an interesting series of experiments with the board's permissions features, I have to admit...
lolwut
As I said before, seriously, putting that on the main page? Introducing a whole bunch of kids on the front page of a supposedly 'educational' website to /b/? Good luck.
Bottled_Spider
Can't say I've ever paid much attention to 4chan, but I have to say I totally agree with it becoming a Wikipedia featured article - but only if certain conditions are met.

1) The article, on the Big Day, must be fully unprotected.
2) All Wiki admins and/or busybody editors who would normally revert vandalism and generally indulge in all kinds of do-goodery should be gagged.
3) For 24 hours the Wiki frontpage should become a nightmare from Hell, plagued by every form of indecency and verbal shite known to Wikiman.

Why? Well, I haven't quite worked that out yet, but we'd end up, however briefly, with the best of both worlds. Or worst. Wikifolks would see what 4chan is really like, and the 4chaners would see what Wikipedia is, erm, really like too. You know - shite.

Or maybe they know all that already. Whatever. I still think it's a good idea.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Mon 12th January 2009, 11:24am) *
1) The article, on the Big Day, must be fully unprotected.
2) All Wiki admins and/or busybody editors who would normally revert vandalism and generally indulge in all kinds of do-goodery should be gagged.
3) For 24 hours the Wiki frontpage should become a nightmare from Hell, plagued by every form of indecency and verbal shite known to Wikiman.

Don't kid youself, this will not happen.

I just looked at the talk page for the 4chan article--
it's been messed with a fair number of times, just in the last 12 hours.
No IP addresses though. Imagine what chaos there would be if anon IP addresses
were allowed to edit it....

Do us a favor, Bro from "Pictland"......tell /b/ about Wikipedia Review. Just as long as they
know this isn't another ED or troll-board. (Not usually anyway.) They can come here and
read all the Wikipedia horror stories, laid out for their fapping pleasure.
And they can even talk to Grawp here. wink.gif
lolwut
Actually, 4chan is not that good. There are other, less significant chan boards which I prefer to post on myself. 4chan is far too fast, and you can't guarantee a coherent reply or even any replies at all. Just about the only thing /b/ is good for now is spam (i.e. like what Grawp does). Not that I haven't made some successful threads on there before, but far too often my threads on there just fail. Also, 4chan's /b/ is probably more "meme-heavy" than other chans are - more focus on memes, more focus on stupid forced meme crap, which can occasionally be entertaining but it's not that interesting usually.

4chan's /b/ can occasionally be good for finding out about events as they happen (the death of CandyJunkie, the BNP membership list leak were events that I was there on 4chan for) but it's pretty much hit or miss and you don't know when you're going to find a good, epic thread amongst the masses and masses of crap. And it moves far too fast, as I mentioned, to have a proper conversation or even to troll properly, unlike other chan boards.

I hate 7chan as well, actually despise it; it's one of my least favourite chans. Worse than 4chan.

It seems like a lot of the newer imageboards (711chan, 888chan, Britchan) have as one of their main features an /i/ board, combined with things like the Partyvan Wiki, which appears to be down at the moment, or maybe it's just being blocked. The more obscure chans with /i/ boards and the Partyvan Wiki are actually a step up from 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica - they're populated by real, hardcore trolls and people who are obsessed with DDOSing websites and all sorts of shit.
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 12th January 2009, 8:43pm) *

Don't kid youself, this will not happen.

Erm .......... I won't; and I know!

Imagine what chaos there would be if anon IP addresses were allowed to edit it....

Erm .......... yes. Just imagine! Whooooosh! (No offence. I like you.)

Do us a favor, Bro from "Pictland"......

Scotland. I just like the old name.

tell /b/ about Wikipedia Review.

Me? No way. I wouldn't touch a board like that with a shitty stick. I had to light-up a large one just to get the courage to sign up here, for Bog's sake.

Just as long as they know this isn't another ED or troll-board. (Not usually anyway.) They can come here and read all the Wikipedia horror stories, laid out for their fapping pleasure.
And they can even talk to Grawp here. wink.gif

Over my head, mate. I'm sure I'll get into it all in due course.
lolwut
Yeah I saw that. I also saw a thread on an /i/ board on a certain chan talking about a raid for the 14th of January.
Pumpkin Muffins
fuckers
everyking
Raul654 chooses which articles to put on the main page and when. Why doesn't he take some heat for this astonishingly poor selection? While I have nothing against having articles on trivial subjects gracing the main page (indeed, I think mixing in some articles of fairly low notability is a good way to show Wikipedia's depth), it is extremely unwise to choose an article that will act as a blatant troll/vandal magnet--especially in light of Raul's firm opposition to protecting the daily featured articles. Has he at any point explained the reasoning behind this choice?
Anonymous editor
I agree. Astonishingly bad decision. Does he know what 4chan is?
NuclearWarfare
All things considered, this have gone fine today so far, actually. Adminbots, scripts and IRC bots, and use of Huggle by about 7 individuals have cut vandalism down to nothing noticeable. Still, someone whack Raul. I was going to do something useful and try to bring up an article, but I got sidetracked with a massive amount of anti-vandal work.
Sylar
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Wed 14th January 2009, 2:21am) *

meh

See this.
lolwut

I lol'd.
Sylar
QUOTE(lolwut @ Wed 14th January 2009, 8:03am) *

It's funny how Jeske Couriano is blaming this all on Grawp, as if he is /b/'s leader and everything a /b/tard does on Wikipedia is his fault.
Crestatus
If Raul wanted to prove he could not be intimidated, he did a pretty good job by featuring this one.
Selina
if only deleting the article would delete the website:)
Anonymous editor
QUOTE(Sylar @ Wed 14th January 2009, 4:45am) *

QUOTE(lolwut @ Wed 14th January 2009, 8:03am) *

It's funny how Jeske Couriano is blaming this all on Grawp, as if he is /b/'s leader and everything a /b/tard does on Wikipedia is his fault.

You need to stop using third person.

As for Chris G, he's got the MMORPG part down pat. I think he wins the day.
emesee
did anything ever happen?
Anonymous editor
not really, no.
Somey
QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Sun 25th January 2009, 10:00pm) *
not really, no.

Well, Lazio beat Torino 3-1 to get into the Coppa Italia semifinals.

Why would there be an unusual amount of vandalism on the 4chan article during Feature Day anyway? Isn't the whole purpose of vandalism to make a subject seem more disreputable? huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.