Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epistemia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Chris Croy
On the mailing list, Thomas Larsen has announced the creation of a new Wikipedia alternative called Epistemia. Basically, he read the preface to Brave New World and decided to write in the third way between Wikipedia's freedom and citizendium's bureaucracy. Copy pasta of his email:
Hi all,

I, with Richard Austin, would like to announce the public launch of "Epistemia", a new Internet-wiki-based encyclopedia project which may be found on the Web at http://epistemia.org/. Some of the project's distinguishing features include:

- users are required to log in before being permitted to edit;
- civil and polite conduct is required, and no tolerance is shown for those people whose intention is to cause disruption or damage;
- people with administrative privileges are required to use their real names as their account names, with few exceptions;
- the project places a high emphasis on developing and maintaining content according to established scholarly standards; and
- policy (content, community, and project standards), which is still in development, is outlined clearly and simply on a single page.

Wikipedia has undoubtedly proved the value of the wiki content production model, but it suffers from a number of damning flaws. Most serious is the negativity of the participatory culture that has developed on Wikipedia—incivility is rampant in discussions, logical, reasoned arguments are commonly ignored, and people acting maliciously or disruptively are tolerated far in excess of common sense. Governance is another issue, with the project led, not by the most knowledgeable people, but by the people with the most spare time and the loudest voices. Also of much concern, especially to academia, is the lack of consistent adherence to the conventional quality expectations associated with professional scholarship—indeed, many contributors reject established scholarly standards in favour of their own conception of what an encyclopedia should be like. These problems can be traced to two primary causes: firstly, an unprofessional culture, and, secondly, overly complex and inconsistently enforced rules. Epistemia aims to correct both these issues, without implementing the overly-restrictive mechanisms that Citizendium has.

Raymond Arritt once summed it all up neatly—"Citizendium ... would be great if it were more similar to Wikipedia (easier to contribute, less bureaucratic) and ... Wikipedia ... would be great if it were more similar to Citizendium (less hostile to competence, more willing to act against troublemakers and those with an agenda)." Epistemia aims to be easy to contribute to, unbureaucratic, welcoming of competence, and intolerant of disruptive and malicious people.

Well, Richard Austin and I would like to invite you to check it out yourself and formulate your own opinions—see http://epistemia.org/.

Best and friendly regards,

—Thomas Larsen

Pros:
  • The name is less difficult to remember and spell than citizendium.
  • Will not have to put up with people who threaten to rape your wife and burn down your house.
  • Instead of making riffs on the admins pseudonyms, we get to bust out the old school schoolyard taunts they've been hearing for 10-80 years.
  • Less drive-by vandalism since they need to register an account to write about how much John loves the cock.

Cons
  • Too many syllables.
  • Still going to be filled primarily with people that used to write for Wikipedia, left angry, and possibly not of their own free will.
  • No killer app for readers. Everything they've said so far boils down to nice stuff for people in the back writing the articles or the subjects, but most readers are not subjects and don't deal with the community. No-one's going to write articles no-one's reading.
Cobalt
I wonder if it'll go nowhere.
Lifebaka
QUOTE(Chris Croy @ Mon 19th January 2009, 10:41am) *

Pros:
  • The name is less difficult to remember and spell than citizendium.
  • Will not have to put up with people who threaten to rape your wife and burn down your house.
  • Instead of making riffs on the admins pseudonyms, we get to bust out the old school schoolyard taunts they've been hearing for 10-80 years.
  • Less drive-by vandalism since they need to register an account to write about how much John loves the cock.
Cons
  • Too many syllables.
  • Still going to be filled primarily with people that used to write for Wikipedia, left angry, and possibly not of their own free will.
  • No killer app for readers. Everything they've said so far boils down to nice stuff for people in the back writing the articles or the subjects, but most readers are not subjects and don't deal with the community. No-one's going to write articles no-one's reading.

I don't know that it'll get all that much less drive-by vandalism. Assuming it gets as popular as Wikipedia, vandals just have a register an account (it's using the MediaWiki software, so registering isn't difficult) before they vandalize. Granted that this will stop people from adding "FUCK THIS SHIT FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUCKCCKCKCKCKCk YOUDSjfejafjdslkja;lds" to articles, but WP has bots that usually take care of things like that in milliseconds anyways. That vandalism isn't something most people on WP worry about anymore, because it's so obviously vandalism and so easy to catch. Anyone interested in doing things more than that isn't going to be fazed by having to register (Grawp-types, for instance).

It seems to me that it probably isn't ever going to get off the ground. It's hard to compete with WP, because WP is fast, free, and already popular. Billing yourself as "The Next Wikipedia!" means that you will always be in Wikipedia's shadow, even after Wikipedia falls (which reminds me that I really oughta' start downloading the database dumps, but I digress), though not necessarily smaller than Wikipedia. Moreover, likely what is going to cause Wikipedia to fall is the rise of something entirely different, not merely a different take on the same concept, and thus causing the downfall of the Citizendium and this as well.

Overall, I doubt it's going to go anywhere. If it starts to, I'll probably at least give it a try.
UseOnceAndDestroy
Well, the name sounds like a skin disease. So that would be a "con", probably.

I just created an account name Imaspammer, with a mailinator address, and could edit without so much as a verification click-through. Not that big a hurdle for our SEO chums, should this accumulate any pagerank.

(And, looks like they've already got kids churning out BLP's - so, not that solid a grasp on those pesky "damning flaws".)
EricBarbour
I wish they would implement two changes that would help them immeasurably in getting attention and editors:

1) make the front page look like ANYTHING but Wikipedia. Is there some law requiring all MediaWikis to have the same front-page layout?? Is it really that difficult to hack the CSS for a different layout?

2) Put in a WYSIWYG editor. Please, for crissakes. I know WMF is working on one, and WP will be the first to get it. But that one improvement will do more than anything else to increase the popularity of all MediaWikis.
If they don't get rid of the painfully-obscure existing editor, and the reliance on obscure jargon and acronyms, MediaWiki (and whatever is built out of it) will eventually turn into what WP is transmuting into: a nerd's toy.
dtobias
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 19th January 2009, 7:54pm) *

a nerd's toy.

...not that there's anything wrong with that... tongue.gif
Alison
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Mon 19th January 2009, 3:28pm) *

(And, looks like they've already got kids churning out BLP's - so, not that solid a grasp on those pesky "damning flaws".)

Eh-oh, it's Ionas dry.gif I smell trouble .... fear.gif
lolwut
Just like every Wikipedia clone out there, it'll take a hell of a lot of work before it even gets remotely near the size, depth or comprehensiveness of Wikipedia. Quality can be put to one side, but these other factors cannot.
Alison
QUOTE(Alison @ Mon 19th January 2009, 5:06pm) *

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Mon 19th January 2009, 3:28pm) *

Eh-oh, it's Ionas dry.gif I smell trouble .... fear.gif

And prophetically, Jonas was banned for a year from Encyc.org today by Emperor himself. Oops! It takes a lot for Emperor to banhammer someone on there, but Jonas did something particularly stupid.
Emperor
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Mon 19th January 2009, 6:28pm) *

Well, the name sounds like a skin disease. So that would be a "con", probably.

biggrin.gif

They do have a snazzy logo. I like the monkey. Note to self...
UseOnceAndDestroy
A train of thought starting with some waffle about "critical mass" over in another thread led me to checking up on progress here. And not much to report, with no edits since some fiddling near the end of March.

I guess this one has a fork stuck in it…?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.