Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Role of Parody, Satire, and Irony in Criticism of WikiCulture
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Moulton
Los Obliviados y Los Olvidados

In the recent lulz about subtle vandalism in an otherwise obscure WP article about Sporks and Bufoons, I wrote this meta-comment:

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st February 2009, 7:54am) *
The Woolworths School of Political Dramaturgy

Therein lies a subtle vulnerability of Wikipedia.

Heaven knows that Wikipedia, like any prominent segment of popular culture, is subject to parody and satire. But Wikipedia is also host to satire and parody including self-satire and self-parody.

Now it's a staple of stand-up comics to make fun of themselves and their own life experiences. And it's a staple feature of almost any well-adjusted cultural genre to accept good-natured ribbing and self-ribbing.

I checked with my most trusted subject-matter expert on Media Ethics just to be sure on this point...

QUOTE(Question from Moulton to Media Ethics Professor at USU School of Journalism)
In the SPJ Code of Ethics, is there anything that covers the role of political satire and parody? I've always considered political satire and parody to be a staple feature of mainstream journalism.
Reply from Professor of Media Ethics: Political satire is fair game. Parody is protected. See SPJ Code of Ethics

Now this is where WikiCulture is at a crossroads. Not only is satire and parody a fair mode of political discourse, it's also a significant genre in literature. The sum of all human knowledge includes many classical examples of political satire and parody. Almost every student reads Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift.

It's fascinating to observe how Wikipedians deal with artful instances of political satire and parody of the more ridiculous moieties of WikiCulture.

Normally, an educator (parent, teacher, mentor, or coach) echoes a more refined version of a learner's erratic gesture, thereby providing a more refined model for the learner to imitate back.

But once a young person has become set into a persistent pattern that no longer improves, the parental echo has to switch gears, either to a meta-cognitive feedback message (a diagnostic remark about the youngster's pattern of behavior) or a parody that amplifies the silliness of some aspect of the youngster's pattern of behavior.

When this correction process goes haywire, one has a pathology known as Mimetic Nihilism.

That's where parody, satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and comedic timing come into play. These are artfully distorted echoes which are calculated to awaken the subject from his or her obliviousness.

We should have a seriously ridiculous discussion thread on Sophistry, Casuistry, and Mimetic Nihilism.

Let the games begin!
GlassBeadGame
Maybe Wikiversity can support a Clown College.
Jon Awbrey
Loco Classico —

The Best-Barbed Bit O' B[url]esque (B-B-BOB) I ever read is Plato's Socratic Dialogue, «The Sophist».

Read It — Itsa Riot !!!

Ja³ oldtimer.gif

P.S. Sorry, Moulton, you can't post in this Φorum without a suitable Topic Icon, so pick one PDQ. —Ja³, writing as e-moderator.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 1st February 2009, 11:52am) *

Sorry, Moulton, you can't post in this Φorum without a suitable Topic Icon, so pick one PDQ. —Ja³, writing as e-moderator.

The topicons are the same thing as the posticons at the ⊥ of your edit window.†

And just for asking that question, I hereby revoke your Old Coot's oldtimer.gif Discount Card.

Ja³ oldtimer.gif

† Just to keep it really confusing, Somey has listed the emoticons in different orders in the different skins, so you have to guess what skin someone is coding with before you can decode their emoticons properly, reducing us all to the condition of Windowless Leibnizian Monads. Put that in your Haphazard Accidental Guessing Game Emotional Roulette Theory Of Mind (HAGGERTOM) and smoke it.
GlassBeadGame
Posting is not so easy behind the Brechtian Icon Curtain.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 1st February 2009, 4:47pm) *

Posting is not so easy behind the Brechtian Icon Curtain.

I woodent know — I've been Absent Post ever since the Post Modern Dyslexicons annexed Postdam.

Ja³
Moulton
Mimetic Nihilism for Dummies

Circular Firing Squad - People involved in an idea or policy that is obviously self-defeating to everyone else but them. Used to described some group that is so clueless that one could show them a diesel engine and ask them to find the spark plugs. See also Numpty.

Numpty - Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others. A reckless, absent minded or unwise person. A person who never has or never will have a fucking clue what he is doing. An idiot, a silly person. A person so stupid they are incapable of understanding the simplest of things. See also Circular Firing Squad.
Jon Awbrey
Producers' Note —

The previously announced premier of «Springtime For Hitler» has been canceled for the duration.

Somehow, it just won't seem funny until after the war.

And even then, only if the Good Guys win.

See you in the movies, but later …

Antic Rouge Show, Inc.
Moulton
Disappointment Haunted All My Dreams

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 4th February 2009, 9:08am) *
Producers' Note —

The previously announced premier of «Springtime For Hitler» has been canceled for the duration.

Somehow, it just won't seem funny until after the war.

And even then, only if the Good Guys win.

See you in the movies, but later …

Antic Rouge Show, Inc.

As a consolation for the unexpected cancelation of «Springtime For Hitler», we are disappointed to note that the only remaining productions we can await with breathless torpor are «Akahele» and «The Final Absolution».

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 16th September 2008, 8:19am) *
The Ring of the Neener Bomb

Previously, Schadenfreude Theatre presented a pair of seemingly unrelated operas, one entitled Fear and Loathing in Lost Vagueness and one entitled No One Expects the Spammish Inquisition!.

Those two productions were in addition to an earlier Soap Opera entitled, Bildungsroman in the Age of Character Assassination, which featured Bela, Klaatu, Moulton, and a variety of walk-on cameos by various and sundry characters from the Original ATI/RI/PDR Soap Opera which Bela graciously kicked off some five years ago.

Now the third opera in the Ring of the Neener Bomb is getting underway at the English Wikipedia and at Wikiversity. This one is tentatively called The Final Absolution and promises to have considerably better music than the utter atrocities previously composed by Barsoom Tork Associates.

Montana Mouse 12:56, 16 September 2008 (UTC)
Jon Awbrey

Φiddle, Nero.
Nero, Φiddle.

And the banned played on …

Ja, Ja, Ja …
Moulton
Blackmail vs Bullying

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th February 2009, 9:21am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 19th February 2009, 1:22pm) *
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th February 2009, 4:36am) *
I am appalled at Moulton's ignorant comment. ... In this case, it seems that Lar has been told something to force him to do something against his wishes. That is blackmail.
Very well. I stand corrected on my understanding of what constitutes blackmail.

Given that revision in my understanding of the scope of the term, I would ask DB, Random832, and others to opine on whether this constitutes blackmail under their broader definition than the one I had adopted...

QUOTE(Jimbo Wales in E-Mail)
Don't waste my time with bullshit or I will just personally block you at wikiversity and that will be that.

Moulton, it was not the coercion aspect, it was the suggestion that to complain of being the subject of blackmail was tantamount to an admission of guilt. I also count the above as a significant misrepresentation of what I wrote, the fundamental element being:
I am appalled at Moulton's ignorant comment. It is quite possible to blackmail people with untruths and complaining of blackmail should never be considered as any sort of admission
in specific reference to you suggesting that Lar had admitted some inappropriate activity by complaining of being blackmailed.

I don't think there is any significant parallel in your Wikiversity game playing. You know full well you were using Wikiversity to embarrass and shame people, and whatever the rights and wrongs, it was hardly surprising that Jimbo would want to ban you. This in itself might be a useful and legitimate form of protest, but the result is hardly surprising, nor is it particularly unethical on your part or his.

That's not the question I asked you to opine on.

Let me restate it.

If "blackmail" is defined as "being told something to force me to do something against my wishes" (namely to redact a song parody on my personal blog to avoid being blocked on Wikiversity), then is that an instance of "blackmail" under your definition? And if not, what is the technical name of Jimbo's gambit, and what is the defining distinction between Jimbo's gambit and "blackmail" as exemplified by the Lar/Proab case?

QUOTE(Random832 @ Thu 19th February 2009, 10:22am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Thu 19th February 2009, 3:02pm) *
That's not the question I asked you to opine on.

Let me restate it.

If "blackmail" is defined as "being told something to force me to do something against my wishes"
He rejected your characterization of his words as defining "blackmail" as that. I don't think he could have been more clear.

Alas, the definition of "blackmail" remains vague and undefined. I still don't know whether or not DB would consider Jimbo's bullying remark to be an instance of blackmail (under his definition).

More to the point, is the kind of bullying that Jimbo employs in the above cited example a staple feature of WikiCulture, regardless of whether it's called "blackmail" or "bullying" or "anankastic conditional" or "my way or the hiway"?
Moulton
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 19th February 2009, 2:40pm) *
The principle of blackmail is commonly understood and I don't know why Moulton would want to be so deliberately obtuse on the issue aside from derailing a thread to his own ends. There are plenty of dictionary and legal definitions around. This one from Answers.com seems workable:

"Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information"

or if you prefer, from definitions.uslegal.com:

"Blackmail has been defined in the broad sense to mean "compelling someone to act against their will or gaining or attempting to gain something of value." Courts vary on interpreting what "something of value" includes, but it is not necessarily a money payment in all cases."

The first definition doesn't seem to cover the Lar/Proab case, as nothing of value was demanded. The second definition does include the part about bullying (compelling someone to act against their will), but that definition also includes the demand of something of value in return.

It occurs to me that both cases (Proab vs. Lar and Jimbo vs. Moulton) are instances of bullying (rather than blackmail), since the basic script is "do as I demand or I will do something to harm you."

It occurs to me that invoking legalisms like "blackmail" or "extortion" is a rhetorical device that compounds and inflames the issue, rather than helping settle a disturbing conflict.

No matter what one calls it, my personal feeling is that the bullying practices are corrosive and, in the long term, ineluctably erode the ethical integrity of the project.
GlassBeadGame

I understand it is easy to miss posts from time to time:

750.213 Malicious threats to extort money.
Sec. 213. Malicious threats to extort money—Any person who shall, either orally or by a written or printed communication, maliciously threaten to accuse another of any crime or offense, or shall orally or by any written or printed communication maliciously threaten any injury to the person or property or mother, father, husband, wife or child of another with intent thereby to extort money or any pecuniary advantage whatever, or with intent to compel the person so threatened to do or refrain from doing any act against his will, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison not more than 20 years or by a fine of not more than 10,000 dollars.
---Michigan Compiled Laws (emphasis added)

Now is there any reason that this, along with the related posts above, shouldn't be moved to the tar pitted thread that was their origin? I didn't agree to tar pitting in first place (because Proab's misconduct should be confronted) but once that has been decided upon it ought to be respected.
Jon Awbrey
offtopic.gif obliterate.gif

They also digress who only hijack themselves …

Ja Ja boing.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.