Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Review of oversight-l
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
jayvdb
In a recent thread, I suggested that Wikileaker publish my email to arbcom entitled "review of oversight-l", as it would be on topic here. Wikileaker hasnt provided it, so here it is, slightly redacted.

[oversighter redacted] = username or name of the oversighter has been removed
[sender redacted] = username or name of the person who sent the email to oversight-l has been removed
[article redacted] = Wikipedia article name removed

QUOTE(John Vandenberg to arbcom-l@wikimedia.org @ 18 November 2008)

Hi everyone,

I've only been on oversight-l for a little while, and have been
growing concerned as I watch requests being dropped, and participants
not actively reviewing each others work and looking for opportunities
to help each other out. This is a tough job, as the actions cant be
undone (easily), but they also need to be done quickly to limit the
damage. Feedback from the group needs to be prompt whenever a
difficult case comes in, to ensure the best outcome asap. We need to
check each others work, because if one oversighter says "Done" to a NP
or RC Patroller, you can be sure they are going to believe it and not
check it unless specifically asked to.

Below is a list of all the problems that I have noticed while I have
been here, a period of less than a month. I havent looked at the
archive to see whether this is typical. I hope not.

In short, it appears as if seven (!) requests have not been actioned.
Only two of those "taken" by someone, and even those two have probably
fallen off the todo list.

Do we need more oversighters?

--
John Vandenberg

[Oversight-l] Request for Oversight - Oct 28 - [sender redacted]

Article: [article name redacted]

No action or reply.

[Oversight-l] Wikipedia e-mail - Oct 29 - [sender redacted]

[oversighter redacted] actioned it, but only got one of the two diffs because
the link covered more than one edit.
Two hours later I oversighted the other one.

[Oversight-l] Page moves which require oversight - Oct 30 - [sender redacted]

I oversighted a large number of diffs, but missed almost as many as I hit.
It was three days later when [sender redacted] pointed out that I hadn't
completed the job.

[Oversight-l] Oversight request - sanity check - Oct 31 - [oversighter&sender redacted]

[oversighter&sender redacted] requests a sanity check. Only myself and [another oversighter redacted] give some feedback.

[Oversight-l] Tr : Request Re:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarrow_School - Oct 31 - [sender redacted]

I removed the offending libel from the visible history, but didnt oversight it.
I sort of requested that my esteemed collegues would guide me here. Nada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jarrow_School

[Oversight-l] Oversighting some more diffs - Nov 1 - [sender redacted]

No action or reply. What is worse, this email reminds the list that a
May 2008 diff is still available.

[Oversight-l] Wikipedia e-mail - Nov 3 [sender redacted]

No discussion on the list to indicate that it was done.

[my comments redacted]

[Oversight-l] Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail - Nov 3 - [sender redacted]

This one went unanswered, and unactioned! (as far as I can see)

[Oversight-l] Personal information deletion - Nov 4 - [sender redacted]

No action or reply.

[Oversight-l] Phone number for oversight - Nov 5 - [sender redacted]

[oversigher redacted] zapped it; no reply to the list.

[Oversight-l] [article redacted] - Nov 6 - [sender redacted]

This gent also requested that we delete his userpage, but here he is
requesting deletion of an article he wrote in mid 2007, and he has
recently requested deletion of some images.
[admin redacted] deleted the article; there was no update to the list about this.

[Oversight-l] Deletion of userpage of banned user - Nov 9 - [sender redacted]

[oversighter redacted] replied that he would consult the blocking admin.
No action has been taken afaics, and there is no feedback to the list.

[Oversight-l] Request for Oversight - Nov 14 - [sender redacted]

I responded, didnt action it, and asked this list, "What do others think?".
No response.
I've not responded to the sender because I am waiting on opinions.

[Oversight-l] Request for deletion - Nov 14 - [sender redacted]

Over five hours later, [oversighter redacted] responds on list. [oversighter redacted] actioned one diff of the two given.
My impression from speaking with [sender redacted] is that she hadnt heard back
from anyone when I replied on the list.
With regard to my email to the list, almost two days ago, I would love
to have some feedback, as I dont understand how oversight was
appropriate here.
Is this a case of IAR? Does IAR apply to the oversight policy?

[Oversight-l] Edit deletion - Nov 16 - [sender redacted]

I've responded to the list and the person requesting oversight, but
not actioned it as I am not clear whether this warrants oversight.
[oversighter redacted] has responded, still seeking oversight, but nobody else has
added their thoughts on the matter.

[Oversight-l] request for oversight - [sender redacted]

One day ago - no response, and I cant see any correlating action in the log.

After a little discussion, oversighters started routinely emailing the list and the sender to indicate the outcome. This has helped. Continual review is needed, as I am not sure that requests are not being dropped.

Arbcom 2008 acknowledged that more oversighters were needed, however they said it would need to wait until 2009. Thank goodness the community is supporting many candidates so that we can have adequate numbers of oversighters on deck throughout the day and checking each others work. If we dont appoint all of the candidates who have been approved by the community, the committee has a list of people ready to appoint when it appears that we need more oversighters.
Jon Awbrey
Tagged for Web Searches under • Wikipedia Transparency •
Tagged for Web Searches under • Rose Mary Woods Wiki •
Giggy
Never fear, "OS is the most non-time consuming job there is on wiki". Coming from an arbitrator I find that comment incredibly saddening, and combined with John's email I'm sure anyone who's concerned about their privacy will now feel greatly comforted.
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(Giggy @ Tue 10th February 2009, 1:12pm) *
Never fear, "OS is the most non-time consuming job there is on wiki". Coming from an arbitrator I find that comment incredibly saddening, and combined with John's email I'm sure anyone who's concerned about their privacy will now feel greatly comforted.

Erm ........ yeah!
My favourite bit of the initial post was where he provided an explanation of all the stuff ....

[sender redacted] = username or name of the person who sent the email to oversight-l has been removed

.... Which was greatly comforting, as otherwise I would have been horribly confused over all those guys being called "sender redacted", and all that. Cheers!
Jon Awbrey
Tagged for Web Searches under • Sartor Resartus •

QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Tue 10th February 2009, 8:25am) *

Erm ……… yeah!

My favourite bit of the initial post was where he provided an explanation of all the stuff ....
  • [oversighter redacted] = username or name of the oversighter has been removed
  • [sender redacted] = username or name of the person who sent the email to oversight-l has been removed
  • [article redacted] = Wikipedia article name removed
…… Which was greatly comforting, as otherwise I would have been horribly confused over all those guys being called "sender redacted", and all that. Cheers!

He forgot one —

[redactor redacted] = name or username of the person or pseudoperson redacting the email has been removed.

Ja Ja boing.gif
One
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Tue 10th February 2009, 1:25pm) *

QUOTE(Giggy @ Tue 10th February 2009, 1:12pm) *

Erm ........ yeah!

.... Which was greatly comforting, as otherwise I would have been horribly confused over all those guys being called "sender redacted", and all that. Cheers!

He was trying to be transparent in his redactions; rather than use a mysterious catch-all [redaction], or slightly less opaque headings like [oversighter redacted], he explained why each bit was removed.

Sometimes, transparency is boring.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th February 2009, 9:36am) *

He was trying to be transparent in his redactions; rather than use a mysterious catch-all [redaction], or slightly less opaque headings like [oversighter redacted], he explained why each bit was removed.

But most of the time it's •

Ja Ja boing.gif

Tagged for Web Searches under • Wikipedia Transparency •
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th February 2009, 2:36pm) *

Aaaaaah. I've got it now. Thanks. Mainly I was afraid he was being sarcastic (something I abhor) and/or cutting out stuff just for fun, or even whacking bits off completely at random (just to see what happens). Thanks again.

The whole point is to just enjoy yourself.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Tue 10th February 2009, 6:30am) *

Erm ……… yeah!

• [sender redacted] = username or name of the person who sent the email to oversight-l has been removed
…… Which was greatly comforting, as otherwise I would have been horribly confused over all those guys being called "sender redacted", and all that. Cheers!

He forgot one —

[redactor redacted] = name or username of the person or pseudoperson redacting the email has been removed.

Ja Ja boing.gif

Crap, this looks like Nixon's own first-released transcripts of the Nixon tapes. Or what you get if you request anything interesting at from the feds using the FOI act. fear.gif

I've heard they sometimes send you a photocopy of a page where every simple word has been magic-markered out. So you get just a page of pudgy black lines. But still charged for it. huh.gif
Random832
QUOTE(jayvdb @ Tue 10th February 2009, 7:53am) *

I do have to ask..... why?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 10th February 2009, 1:13pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Tue 10th February 2009, 6:30am) *

Erm ……… yeah!

He forgot one —

Ja Ja boing.gif

Crap, this looks like Nixon's own first-released transcripts of the Nixon tapes. Or what you get if you request anything interesting at from the feds using the FOI act. fear.gif

I've heard they sometimes send you a photocopy of a page where every simple word has been magic-markered out. So you get just a page of pudgy black lines. But still charged for it. huh.gif

You know what they say:

fr∗∗d∗m ∗f ∗nf∗rm∗t∗∗n ∗s n∗t fr∗∗ —
n∗r ∗sp∗cia∗∗∗ ∗nf∗rm∗t∗v∗ n∗∗th∗r …

J∗ J∗ boing.gif

† [Boinger Redacted]
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(Random832 @ Tue 10th February 2009, 6:19pm) *

Maybe the oversighter had a very silly and/or "inappropriate" username which, if it had been included, would have brought the whole tone of the thing down. Because a project like Wikipedia has to keep its dignity, you surely must admit that something like this ......

[oversighter redacted] actioned it, but only got one of the two diffs because the link covered more than one edit.

...... is far preferable to this nightmare scenario ......

BigBollocksBillyBiscuitBarrel actioned it, but only got one of the two diffs because the link covered more than one edit.

So I say "thanks" to vdjayb for saving us all a lot of embarassment by wiping out all the shitty stuff. Bloody nice bloke if you ask me.
Newyorkbrad

Sometimes they give you the entire text with just the names blacked out. However, the older documents are typed in a monospace font, so sometimes you can count the number of letters and figure out from that who is being referred to.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Tue 10th February 2009, 9:21am) *

Not enjoying myself here. This oversight-list "revelation" tells us nothing
we don't already know--that the oversighters aren't doing their jobs.

It's still hopeless. And fuck you, Rlevse.
"We need more crats" my ballsack.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 10th February 2009, 5:34pm) *

This oversight-list "revelation" tells us nothing we don't already know — that the oversighters aren't doing their jobs.

It's not about veterans learning anything essentially new — though history teaches that even the most paranoid will often be shocked at just how limited their imaginations were — it's about getting the facts out to those who haven't a clue yet.

Jon hrmph.gif
jayvdb
QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 11th February 2009, 6:36am) *

Sometimes they give you the entire text with just the names blacked out. However, the older documents are typed in a monospace font, so sometimes you can count the number of letters and figure out from that who is being referred to.

If anyone wants to try their hand at this, English Wikisource has a lot of documents obtained via FOI that have text redacted. The Wikisource {{redact}} template allows for the number of characters missing to be recorded to assist people attempting to work out what was removed.
jayvdb
QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 11th February 2009, 5:19am) *

I removed all names and aliases except references to myself as an oversighter, in order that I could release the "evidence" part of my email without needing to spend a lot of time determining whether mentioning the oversighter allows reviewers to identify the subject in question due to visible actions by the oversighter on the date given. Often oversighters need to perform visible actions in order to handle an oversight request, like I did when deleting Jarrow_School.

Also, we are still working out how review of individual oversighters should be conducted (at Wikipedia:Review Board), and I dont think it is appropriate to expose oversighters to mud-slinging on Wikipedia Review, since the oversighters cant mention any details about the events in their defence without breaking confidentiality.
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 10th February 2009, 10:34pm) *
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Tue 10th February 2009, 9:21am) *
Not enjoying myself here.
Oh, go on. Try. You're not opening yourself to the experience. The vdjay guy is hilarious. Unintentionally, naturally, but that's the best kind of hilarious.
This oversight-list "revelation" tells us nothing we don't already know--that the oversighters aren't doing their jobs.
Exactly! Incompetent censors who can't be arsed ...... too precious.
"We need more crats" my ballsack.
Heh!
gomi
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 10th February 2009, 2:34pm) *
This oversight-list "revelation" tells us nothing we don't already know--that the oversighters aren't doing their jobs.

Also checkusers, per the revelations about checkuser usage from last Jane ('08). Non-Arbs like Jayjg (T-C-L-K-R-D) and (yes) Lar (T-C-L-K-R-D) are comparatively inactive at clearing checkuser backlogs and other "mop and bucket" work, especially when compared with (e.g.) Alison (T-C-L-K-R-D) and Thatcher (T-C-L-K-R-D) . It's clear from Jayjg's usage and block log that he uses the lifetime sinecure of Checkuser primarily to play political games and ensure his place in the power structure, rather than for "the good of Wikipedia", whatever that is.
jayvdb
QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 21st February 2009, 1:13pm) *

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Fri 20th February 2009, 7:49pm) *
For example, this Wikileaker post is now the sixth Google result for the first persons name without quotes, and the third Google result for the second persons name without quotes, in conjunction with the term "jarrow". I asked Wikileaker to redact the names; instead, Jon Awbrey makes a joke about BLPs on Wikipedia. Oh, the irony. angry.gif

I don't believe you made it particularly clear as to how the mention of those names in association with the school was supposed to be harmful to the two people in question. You could always PM me about it if you'd rather keep it reasonably private, and we do have the ability to hide individual posts or even character strings from search engines. (Just don't tell anybody about the character strings... fear.gif )

That post is very clear that Wikileaker believes that there are "libelous allegations" that have been made about those people in relation to the school. Mentioning that there is a high potential for libel is suggestive, and making that statement very visible on the web is problematic. That is how rumours start, employers pass over suitable candidates in order to avoid risk, and how details of rapidly fading significance about private people end up published as the backstory to a piece about the problems of social media.

An important part of the oversight is that potentially libelous may be deleted, in order to reduce the potential for further harm to people. Wikileaker mentioning these names increased the potential for harm to these people, if only that they will now be occasionally placed in the uncomfortable position of being asked about "that Wikipedia issue mentioned on Wikipedia Review".

In this case it was also unnecessary to mention their names; Wikileaker could have mentioned the date of the oversight request if they wanted to prove that they had access to the emails in question. That is why I asked for the Message-ID.

As an update, the problematic edits are now oversighted; one edit was oversighted on February 10 by another oversighter when Wikileaker focused on this (I wasnt aware of this oversighting until just now), and the other one by me today.

The new oversighters are all signed up now, and I will shortly be sending them a review of January oversighting, which is not much better than the review I posted here. hrmph.gif

btw, attempting to PM and email Somey resulted in an error message.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.