Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anecdotes, Animadversions, Anomalies, …
> Wikimedia Discussion > Meta Discussion
Jon Awbrey

Anchor, Man

jch
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 22nd February 2009, 1:56pm) *

Canards, cons, and cults are of imagination all compact.

Each one sets its trap by pandering to a secret dream or unfaced terror that marks its target personality.

Jon Awbrey

Does the dancer of Kali listen to NPR often?

I'm starting to think the Peter Principled should go jump in a lake, they're quite In Seine as it is. Perhaps Javert will comment on this thread soon, share his stigma?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(jch @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 5:44am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 22nd February 2009, 1:56pm) *

Canards, cons, and cults are of imagination all compact.

Each one sets its trap by pandering to a secret dream or unfaced terror that marks its target personality.

Jon Awbrey

Does the dancer of Kali listen to NPR often?

I'm starting to think the Peter Principled should go jump in a lake, they're quite In Seine as it is. Perhaps Javert will comment on this thread soon, share his stigma?

There Hugo Again …

Ja Ja boing.gif
dtobias
The 1965 Annual Gathering of American Mensa was subtitled "Alienation and Anomie" (apparently the theme of its lectures), which seems something of a downer; more recent gatherings have had more pleasant (and less academic-sounding) titles like Southern Comforts and Desert Delights.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 8:19am) *

The 1965 Annual Gathering of American Mensa was subtitled "Alienation and Anomie" (apparently the theme of its lectures), which seems something of a downer; more recent gatherings have had more pleasant (and less academic-sounding) titles like Southern Comforts and Desert Delights.

That was a Big Theme in the Sixties — we didn't have Memes back then, thank Heaven. I remember at least one chapter on Anomie and alien.gif Nation in my Freshmanperson Soc Sci book.

Jon
Moulton
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 20th January 2008, 7:25am) *
QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 20th January 2008, 12:32am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 19th January 2008, 5:59pm) *
Among the highest needs are fairness and feelings of belonging. In the absence of those needs, one is likely to experience feelings of alienation and anomie. The Ethics of Care are especially important when dealing with feelings of alienation and anomie.
Yes. Philosophically I agree with you that an ideal project would be structured in a way that took all this into account.

The question is, can this project produce enough useful things to make up for it not actually being structured this way? It's after all a project to produce something, rather than a social experiment. I think I've made my view clear that enough good stuff has come out that I think the answer is yes (even though I would still want to fix what can be fixed) YMMV of course.
A project that eschews the Ethics of Care can produce many useful things other than a high quality encyclopedia. Mainly it can produce copious evidence of what such an imperfect design leads to, either as a direct product or as an unintentional byproduct.

My observation, supported by a surfeit of empirical evidence, is that such a project (operating at the lower rungs of the Kohlberg-Gilligan Ladder) supports an MMPORG which mixes gaming, drama, oddball characters, and occasional heartwarming episodes of Bildungsroman.

Which brings us back to where we left off in The Ring of the Neener Bomb...

When last we left our intrepid playwright, he was musing on the working title of the next comic opera in the Rinse Cycle...

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 16th September 2008, 8:19am) *
The Ring of the Neener Bomb

Previously, Schadenfreude Theatre presented a pair of seemingly unrelated operas, one entitled Fear and Loathing in Lost Vagueness and one entitled No One Expects the Spammish Inquisition!.

Those two productions were in addition to an earlier Soap Opera entitled, Bildungsroman in the Age of Character Assassination, which featured Bela, Klaatu, Moulton, and a variety of walk-on cameos by various and sundry characters from the Original ATI/RI/PDR Soap Opera which Bela graciously kicked off some five years ago.

Now the third opera in the Ring of the Neener Bomb is getting underway at the English Wikipedia and at Wikiversity. This one is tentatively called The Final Absolution and promises to have considerably better music than the utter atrocities previously composed by Barsoom Tork Associates.

Montana Mouse 12:56, 16 September 2008 (UTC)

To kick things off, a Wikipedian who goes by the name of Filll had posed the following invitation:

QUOTE(Filll)
How about you start with this, and then answer my 8 questions?

The reference to the starting point is a scathing Indictment of Moulton lodged by another prominent Wikipedian, an admin who goes by the name of FeloniousMonk.

The plan is to place the proposed drama aboard a ship, the HMS Final Absolution. On the prow of the ship, in lieu of a statue of a naked lady, there will be a sculpture of a Fucshia Foofy Loofah. The cargo will be Vanilla Bean Soap-On-a-Rope.

More to follow.
dtobias
QUOTE(Filll)
How about you start with this, and then answer my 8 questions?

Are you dating his teenage daughter?
jch
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 1:57pm) *

The plan is to place the proposed drama aboard a ship, the HMS Final Absolution. On the prow of the ship, in lieu of a statue of a naked lady, there will be a sculpture of a Fucshia Foofy Loofah. The cargo will be Vanilla Bean Soap-On-a-Rope.

On such a squeaky-clean ship staffed by mud-encrusted characters, I can only expect that Valjean and Javert will spend far too much time fighting over who pilots the singularly shining ship and far too little time piloting it. One can only hope that the HMS Final Absolution does not end the same way as the Minnow or Titanic, though I can see the storm brewing as Colossal certainly. I would prefer to get into a lifeboat, myself, rather than play a certain stringed instrument as the ship sinks. I cannot help, Moulton, but think that the hull of the ship is as Holey as the stigmatic hands we spoke of. Lest Charon pilot the boat, it would be best to move it across the Seine quickly. unsure.gif

Perhaps "Get thee to a Nunnery" is safer advice?
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(jch @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 3:06pm) *

Lest Charon pilot the boat, it would be best to move it across the Seine quickly. unsure.gif

Tanks ∀ Da Φish … but my Peirce Seine runneth over … re*circusly all readiness is.

Just be Sure to Hold Yer Penny — or Yer Dime — UnTill the Way.Bak ↑↑↑ Anabatshitly Speaking ↑↑↑ or Yule Bee Scrooged ↑ UP ↑ a Crick without a Watson.

Jon
jch
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 8:30pm) *

QUOTE(jch @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 3:06pm) *

Lest Charon pilot the boat, it would be best to move it across the Seine quickly. unsure.gif

Tanks ∀ Da Φish … but my Peirce Seine runneth over … re*circusly all readiness is.

Just be Sure to Hold Yer Penny — or Yer Dime — UnTill the Way.Bak ↑↑↑ Anabatshitly Speaking ↑↑↑ or Yule Bee Scrooged ↑ UP ↑ a Crick without a Watson.

Jon

I was thinking of twenty pieces of silver, but that might be seen the wrong way. I don't know if it's Charon's particular brand of lipgloss I dislike, or the way he lix his lips twice before the kiss.

Milton Roe
QUOTE(jch @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 4:55pm) *

I was thinking of twenty pieces of silver, but that might be seen the wrong way. I don't know if it's Charon's particular brand of lipgloss I dislike, or the way he lix his lips twice before the kiss.

He's preparing to suck the coin out of your mouth. sad.gif yak.gif confused.gif Best to just hand it over. If it's actually not a coin but a dogtag jammed between your own two front teeth, then damn it! sick.gif jawdrop.gif

But Charon's seen that one before.
Jon Awbrey
Charon Charalike (T-C-L-K-R-D) , I Always Say …

Jon wave.gif
EricBarbour
thumbsdown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.