Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
tarantino
Jimbo has just been granted nearly unlimited powers project-wide.
15:58, 28 February 2009 DerHexer (Talk | contribs) changed group permissions for Special:GlobalUsers/founder. Added apihighlimits, autoconfirmed, autopatrol, bigdelete, block, blockemail, browsearchive, createaccount, createpage, createtalk, delete, deletedhistory, edit, editinterface, editusercssjs, import, importupload, ipblock-exempt, move, noratelimit, protect, purge, rollback, suppressredirect, undelete, unwatchedpages, upload, checkuser-log, tboverride, globalblock, globalunblock, globalblock-whitelist, renameuser, nuke, oversight, centralauth-merge, globalgroupmembership, abusefilter-modify, abusefilter-log-detail, abusefilter-view, abusefilter-log, abusefilter-modify-restricted, abusefilter-revert; Removed (none)
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(tarantino @ Sat 28th February 2009, 11:36am) *

15:58, 28 February 2009 DerHexer (Talk | contribs) changed group permissions for Special:GlobalUsers/founder. Added apihighlimits, autoconfirmed, autopatrol, bigdelete, block, blockemail, browsearchive, createaccount, createpage, createtalk, delete, deletedhistory, edit, editinterface, editusercssjs, import, importupload, ipblock-exempt, move, noratelimit, protect, purge, rollback, suppressredirect, undelete, unwatchedpages, upload, checkuser-log, tboverride, globalblock, globalunblock, globalblock-whitelist, renameuser, nuke, oversight, centralauth-merge, globalgroupmembership, abusefilter-modify, abusefilter-log-detail, abusefilter-view, abusefilter-log, abusefilter-modify-restricted, abusefilter-revert; Removed (none)

It's true, nuke.gif — I am your Founder.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 28th February 2009, 11:40am) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Sat 28th February 2009, 11:36am) *

It's true, nuke.gif — I am your Founder.

I brought you into this world and I can take you out.
Kato

Now, I am become Wikipedia, the destroyer of worlds
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 28th February 2009, 5:56pm) *

Now, I am become Wikipedia, the destroyer of worlds

LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(tarantino @ Sat 28th February 2009, 4:36pm) *

Useful - I didn't know that most of those flags existed (or where codifed, at any rate). I have previously argued on Jimbo's talkpage that all his buttons - whether he uses them sparingly or at all or not - should be shown, just so we know what he can/could do. I suspect, since it was probably over a month or two ago I suggested this, it is co-incidence that it has happened.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 28th February 2009, 1:44pm) *

Useful - I didn't know that most of those flags existed (or where codifed, at any rate). I have previously argued on Jimbo's talkpage that all his buttons - whether he uses them sparingly or at all or not - should be shown, just so we know what he can/could do. I suspect, since it was probably over a month or two ago I suggested this, it is co-incidence that it has happened.

I thought some of these were gag-entries, put in as satire. Bigdelete? Nuke? Just goes to show you how hard it is actually satirize WP when they're really going at it. It's like congress and politics. At some point you just put in the moments of zen exactly as they happen.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 28th February 2009, 8:48pm) *

I thought some of these were gag-entries, put in as satire. Bigdelete? Nuke? Just goes to show you how hard it is actually satirize WP when they're really going at it. It's like congress and politics. At some point you just put in the moments of zen exactly as they happen.

Uh, Dude, this is Jimbo we are talking about. Founder, certainly, but maybe not so smart that he might understand globalreformatservers means "nuke", or ServerPermanentStandby is "Bigdelete". When the only people able to press the buttons are the Devs and Jimbo, you write it in the language of the lowest common denominator...
Alex
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 28th February 2009, 9:07pm) *

Uh, Dude, this is Jimbo we are talking about. Founder, certainly, but maybe not so smart that he might understand globalreformatservers means "nuke", or ServerPermanentStandby is "Bigdelete". When the only people able to press the buttons are the Devs and Jimbo, you write it in the language of the lowest common denominator...

Until recently Jimbo did not know that stewards have sysop rights on every wiki, hence why he was so annoyed the Meta-wiki community removed the redundant ones. He had to test before he accepted what we were saying was in fact true.
tarantino
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 28th February 2009, 8:48pm) *

A list of groups, their rights and an explanation of what most rights do is at http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/globalgroups/ . The rights listed for each group doesn't seem to accurately reflect currently held rights though. For example, compare what's listed to the stewards global rights log.
Random832
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 28th February 2009, 8:44pm) *

Most of those bits come with usergroups on en
apihighlimits: bot
autoconfirmed: autoconfirmed (the autoconfirmed permission is what allows editing of pages whose protection level is autoconfirmed, the autoconfirmed usergroup is the actual bit)
autopatrol: not used on en
bigdelete: I forget, maybe Bureaucrat? It's to bypass the 5000-revision limit.
block, blockemail, browsearchive: sysop
createaccount: accountcreator and sysop
createpage: user
createtalk: everyone
delete, deletedhistory: sysop
edit: everyone
editinterface, editusercssjs: sysop
import, importupload: sysop, import, transwiki. funny considering the feature doesn't actually work
ipblock-exempt: sysop and ipblockexempt
move: autoconfirmed
noratelimit: bot
protect: sysop
purge: everyone
rollback: sysop and rollbackers
suppressredirect, undelete, unwatchedpages: sysop
upload: either user or autoconfirmed, i forget
checkuser-log: checkuser
tboverride: no idea what this does
globalblock, globalunblock, globalblock-whitelist: steward on meta
renameuser: bureaucrat
nuke: feature not enabled on en. (sysop on meta, incidentally)
oversight: oversight
centralauth-merge: steward on meta
globalgroupmembership: steward on meta
abusefilter-modify, abusefilter-log-detail, abusefilter-view, abusefilter-log, abusefilter-modify-restricted, abusefilter-revert: Either the feature is not enabled on en, or it's a centralized thing that lives on meta. I can't tell who has the permissions

I used to know an API call that listed all the permissions someone has (it's how I found out that I apparently had the suppressredirect right - though the feature was not enabled on en at the time)

Nuke, if you were wondering, is a feature to delete every article a user has created.
carbuncle
I think Jimbo just wanted to make Razorflame jealous. tongue.gif
Bottled_Spider
Removed (none)

Does this bit refer to articles of clothing, I wonder? Everyone's heard of the casting couch method of getting (a)head, but it's strange that Jimbo and his helots should feel the need to point out that he got all that stuff fair and square. Oh well.
tarantino
QUOTE(Random832 @ Sat 28th February 2009, 9:34pm) *

abusefilter-modify, abusefilter-log-detail, abusefilter-view, abusefilter-log, abusefilter-modify-restricted, abusefilter-revert: Either the feature is not enabled on en, or it's a centralized thing that lives on meta. I can't tell who has the permissions

abusefilter is close to being enabled on en.

The description is here.

Werdna has been contracted by the Wikimedia Foundation to work on it full-time from January 2009, and it will probably be deployed by February.

In brief, the extension allows automatic filters/heuristics to be applied to all edits. Specific rules can be developed, such as "users with fewer than 500 edits are blocked from moving pages to titles which match this regular expression: /hagger/". Of course, the rules can get quite a bit more complicated – for example, a rule that blocks all grawp vandalism with a 70% success rate (and with the option of blocking the IP address of the user making these page moves), with about 2-3 false positives per year (checked on the last year's worth of moves).

The stewards are currently arguing amongst themselves whether they should be allowed to access all of its features.

# 11:37, 26 February 2009 DerHexer (Talk | contribs) changed group permissions for Special:GlobalUsers/steward. Added (none); Removed abusefilter-private ‎ (as I said before …)
# 11:35, 26 February 2009 Darkoneko (Talk | contribs) changed group permissions for Special:GlobalUsers/steward. Added abusefilter-modify, abusefilter-private, abusefilter-modify-restricted, abusefilter-revert; Removed (none) ‎ (add the abusefilter rights)
# 13:25, 25 February 2009 DerHexer (Talk | contribs) changed group permissions for Special:GlobalUsers/steward. Added (none); Removed abusefilter-private ‎ (that would be equal to give us access to Special:CheckUser instead of Special:CheckUser/log)
# 01:22, 25 February 2009 Thogo (Talk | contribs) changed group permissions for Special:GlobalUsers/steward. Added abusefilter-log-detail, abusefilter-view, abusefilter-log, abusefilter-private; Removed (none) ‎ (+view AbuseFilters and AbuseLog (uncontroversial, modifying filters is not possible with these options))
# 10:56, 25 January 2009 Pathoschild (Talk | contribs) changed group permissions for Special:GlobalUsers/steward. Added oversight; Removed (none) ‎ (+ oversight log access (uncontroversial; still can't oversight, was originally left out as part of the single oversight right))
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.