Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angela Beesley's "WikiLove" Presentation
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Kato
A slideshow selection is available online, drawn from Angela Beesley's Presentation at the NSW Knowledge Management forum.

http://nswkmforum.wordpress.com/2009/02/24...ations-twitter/

Angela Beesley (T-H-L-K-D) (now Angela Beesley Starling after her marriage to fellow Wikipedio Tim Starling) is a co-founder of Wikia, and was on the board of the Wikimedia Foundation for long enough. She also dated fellow Wiki-ermmm-pedio Erik Moeller for several years. ermm.gif

She's well known to us Reviewers for being a leading apostle of the Wiki-cult, yet she fought vigorously to have her own biography removed. Writing:

QUOTE(Angela Beesley)
"I'm sick of this article being trolled. It's full of lies and nonsense. My justification for making a third nomination [for deletion] is that my circumstances have changed significantly since the last [request for deletion]".

Not only did the presentation again blur the lines between the non-profit Wikipedia and the profit seeking Wikia, but Angela drew was accompanied by a hideous "chart" which looks like it was designed by inmates of the Jonestown compound. sick.gif *Update: Angela has informed a third-party that this is not by her and that it wasn't used in her presentation. She just liked it enough to show it on her blog.

Just how much Wiki-love did Angela feel when her biography was being "trolled"? I guess it isn't such a problem for Angela though, as she actually makes a living off all this "lies and nonsense". You, on the other hand, get nothing.
Random832
QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 28th February 2009, 5:26pm) *

QUOTE(Angela Beesley)
"I'm sick of this article being trolled. It's full of lies and nonsense. My justification for making a third nomination [for deletion] is that my circumstances have changed significantly since the last [request for deletion]".

AIUI wasn't one of the big things she was mad about the fact that the article said she was dating Tim Starling?
Kato
QUOTE(Random832 @ Sat 28th February 2009, 5:35pm) *

AIUI wasn't one of the big things she was mad about the fact that the article said she was dating Tim Starling?

Who knows? The whole thing was apparently "full of lies and nonsense".

This was surely the most damning assessment of WP's Biography standards.

When one of the Site Board Members and leading evangelists of the Wiki-Way has no faith in "Wiki-Love" or "The Community" to get her bio straight. What hope for the rest of the victims?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 28th February 2009, 10:41am) *

Correct. They weren't "dating." Her later marriage to Starling was arranged, as they had not actually met, before he lifted her wedding veil.

So romantic. And so relieved was he, for he was half-afraid that she'd look like Princess Fiona in nightime mode. But actually, only Jimbo has seen her that way.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 28th February 2009, 1:42pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 28th February 2009, 10:41am) *

Correct. They weren't "dating." Her later marriage to Starling was arranged, as they had not actually met, before he lifted her wedding veil.

So romantic. And so relieved was he, for he was half-afraid that she'd look like Princess Fiona in nightime mode. But actually, only Jimbo has seen her that way.

Arranged Wikipedian marriages should be a common practice. RfMs (Requests for Matrimony) could solve many problems caused by the prevalence of social and interpersonal deficits. "The community" could vote and Mr. Wales could solemnize the unions.

Good for the kids. Good for the cult.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sat 28th February 2009, 2:16pm) *

Arranged Wikipedian marriages should be a common practice. RfMs (Requests for Matrimony) could solve many problems caused by the prevalence of social and interpersonal deficits. "The community" could vote and Mr. Wales could provide solemnize the unions.

Good for the kids. Good for the cult.

You've obviously forgotten about that subclause of WP:IARDEE IAR IAR e-fectionutly known as WP:WRTCWYCRTMFF?*

Jon Image

* Why Request The Cow When You Can Request The Milk For Free?
Bottled_Spider
Not only did the presentation again blur the lines between the non-profit Wikipedia and the profit seeking Wikia, but Angela drew a hideous "chart" which looks like it was designed by inmates of the Jonestown compound. sick.gif

A little bird just told me (*) there's a perfectly rational explanation for that picture. It's a scan of a page from one of her old school books when she was about 12, illustrating her love for a spotty boy called "Wiki". It made its way into the presentation purely by accident.
You, on the other hand, get nothing.

Neither did "Wiki", apparently. She didn't do "that kind of thing".

* Actually, I just made it up.
victim of censorship

A sildeshow selection is available online, drawn from Angela Beesley's Presentation at the NSW Knowledge Management forum.

http://nswkmforum.wordpress.com/2009/02/24...ations-twitter/

Angela Beesley (T-H-L-K-D) (now Angela Beesley Starling after her marriage to fellow Wikipedio Tim Starling) is a co-founder of Wikia, and was on the board of the Wikimedia Foundation for long enough. She also dated fellow Wiki-ermmm-pedio Erik Moeller for several years. ermm.gif

She's well known to us Reviewers for being a leading apostle of the Wiki-cult, yet she fought vigorously to have her own biography removed. Writing:

QUOTE(Angela Beesley)

Not only did the presentation again blur the lines between the non-profit Wikipedia and the profit seeking Wikia, but Angela drew a hideous "chart" which looks like it was designed by inmates of the Jonestown compound. sick.gif

Just how much Wiki-love did Angela feel when her biography was being "trolled"? I guess it isn't such a problem for Angela though, as she actually makes a living off all this "lies and nonsense". You, on the other hand, get nothing.

WIKIPEIDA is a hate filled swamp of lies run by little megalomaniacs, with delusions of grandeur .
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Sat 28th February 2009, 4:56pm) *

A little bird just told me (*) there's a perfectly rational explanation for that picture. It's a scan of a page from one of her old school books when she was about 12, illustrating her love for a spotty boy called "Wiki". It made its way into the presentation purely by accident.

Wait a minute. That's actually a real Angela Beesley poster? I thought it was another very dry satire by somebody here. huh.gif

Damn, this is getting completely impossible. wacko.gif
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 28th February 2009, 8:36pm) *

Wait a minute. That's actually a real Angela Beesley poster? I thought it was another very dry satire by somebody here. huh.gif

Damn, this is getting completely impossible. wacko.gif

In a related story, see the caption competition.

Jon evilgrin.gif
EricBarbour
Somey
Not bad, but seriously folks, how do you improve on perfection? I've been pondering this for hours now, and I just can't come up with anything that's funnier than the original.

I haven't laughed this hard over something wiki-related since the infamous "Anonymous Wikipedian" affair.
everyking
As a graphic depiction of "wikilove", I guess it does the job pretty well. Unfortunately, wikilove is purely fictional--I had that figured out all the way back in 2004, and I didn't realize some people still put stock in the notion. Due to the dysfunctional nature of the site administration, Wikipedia is a totally vicious and cutthroat environment. Angela may be so far removed from the real editing environment that she genuinely believes in the existence of wikilove, however.
privatemusings
well ok it's a bit naive, and if intended seriously is a worry, but my addled thought-i-was-cynical-but-mightn't-be-as-much-as-i-thought brain can't believe that the artist's tongue isn't at least a little bit in his cheek....

t'would seem to be drawn by a chap called 'simon banks', by the way, not angela - though inspired by her talk (or something, or maybe he was just on crack, I dunno ;-)

and whilst pointing and laughing is virtually a vocation of mine, I don't want to be mean-spirited, so I'll say that I share Somey's apparent love of anything that can't be satirised.... this is actually gold!
Peter Damian

Aggggghhhh! Peter's head hurt.

No it's entirely serious

http://www.visualfunk.com.au/

It's one of these management creative potential bullshit training companies, they are all entirely serious and deluded.

Did you know that creativity was highly valued in Renaissance Europe as part of a keen awareness to balance Science and Art

Peter's head hurt real bad now.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 1st March 2009, 4:06am) *

Thank you Eric. Head much better.
Sylar
QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Sun 1st March 2009, 12:14am) *

WIKIPEIDA is a hate filled swamp of lies run by little megalomaniacs, with delusions of grandeur .

You say something like that in every single thread you post on. It's getting a little old.
bambi
Image Image
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Sun 1st March 2009, 8:43am) *
t'would seem to be drawn by a chap called 'simon banks', by the way, not angela - though inspired by her talk (or something, or maybe he was just on crack, I dunno ;-)

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 1st March 2009, 9:01am) *
No it's entirely serious
http://www.visualfunk.com.au/
It's one of these management creative potential bullshit training companies, they are all entirely serious and deluded.

Yep. Simon Banks = www.visualfunk.com.au/. What a guy.
When I first saw the picture, I was actually quite impressed by its primitive, almost child-like purity. But now I'm beginning to get a kind of "Satanic" vibe from it, and I'm scared. I'm not suggesting that Angela's a closet devil-worshipper, or anything, but she's clearly in league with unGodly forces, and stuff, and maybe trying to hasten the advent of the Antichrist and his Hellish minions by appealing to The Kids. By the way, if that Murphy guy is reading I've got a good script idea for a movie, with Julia Roberts as Angela!
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Sun 1st March 2009, 1:19pm) *

By the way, if that Murphy guy is reading I've got a good script idea for a movie, with Julia Roberts as Angela!

Sorry, if you've seen any of her less popular films you'd have realized Julia Roberts couldn't carry an accent in a five-gallon bucket.
Kato
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sun 1st March 2009, 2:33pm) *

By the way, if that Murphy guy is reading I've got a good script idea for a movie, with Julia Roberts as Angela!

Sorry, if you've seen any of her less popular films you'd have realized Julia Roberts couldn't carry an accent in a five-gallon bucket.

Neither can Angela Beesley. The last time I heard her speak on some podcast, she sounded like a cross between Nicole Kidman while pretending to be English, and Steve Irwin mid death throes. Between them, I reckon Angela and PrivateMusings have created a whole new dialect.
the fieryangel
Just for the record, Angela Beesley has informed a third-party that this is not by her and that it wasn't used in her presentation. She just liked it enough to show it on her blog, apparently.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sun 1st March 2009, 2:33pm) *

Exactly. See below. Then there's the double-ironic "comparison" angle - Angela being quite good-looking and Julia being a dog, and all that.
QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 1st March 2009, 3:42pm) *
Neither can Angela Beesley. The last time I heard her speak on some podcast, she sounded like a cross between Nicole Kidman while pretending to be English, and Steve Irwin mid death throes. Between them, I reckon Angela and PrivateMusings have created a whole new dialect.

I feel I have to stick up for Nicole, (eh?) here. I thought her accent was as prim and tight as the well-tailored clothes she wore in The Others. As for Privatemusings, I feel he should push the fact that he's an Australian, more. Say the word "G'day" a lot, etc.
privatemusings
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 12:29am) *

As for Privatemusings, I feel he should push the fact that he's an Australian, more. Say the word "G'day" a lot, etc.

well strewth BS, I reckon any cobber knows I'm as fair dinkum as snags on a barbie. Have a cold 'n frosty on me, mate, and don't come the raw prawn, you flamin' galah, then she'll be right.

ps. G'day ;-)

pps. I'm really just a confused colonial pom, you know - perhaps 'pip pip' would suit better?

ppps. wiki love to all! ;-)
EricBarbour
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Sun 1st March 2009, 6:20pm) *
well strewth BS, I reckon any cobber knows I'm as fair dinkum as snags on a barbie. Have a cold 'n frosty on me, mate, and don't come the raw prawn, you flamin' galah, then she'll be right.

"Rule number one: NO POOFTERS!"
privatemusings
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 2:27am) *

are you drinking, Eric? The lights are out, so don't let me catch you without a beer and a cultural stereotype ;-)
Kato
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 2:38am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 2:27am) *

are you drinking, Eric? The lights are out, so don't let me catch you without a beer and a cultural stereotype ;-)

To be fair, you sound mainly British to me, PM.

Angela though has cultivated that really strange hybrid of ending every sentence with a question mark???

http://wikipediaweekly.org/2008/02/04/epis...ecord-straight/

There is a term for this affectation, and studies into its linguistic roots, but I can't remember the name for it now.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 1st March 2009, 10:01pm) *

Angela though has cultivated that really strange hybrid of ending every sentence with a question mark???

wikipediaweekly.org/2008/02/04/episode-41-setting-the-record-straight/

There is a term for this affectation, and studies into its linguistic roots, but I can't remember the name for it now.

Canuckism Image
Full-Width Image
Jon Image
EricBarbour
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 2:38am) *

Didn't you ever watch the "Bruce" sketch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
Bottled_Spider
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 2:20am) *
QUOTE(Bottled_Spider @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 12:29am) *

As for Privatemusings, I feel he should push the fact that he's an Australian, more. Say the word "G'day" a lot, etc.

ps. G'day ;-)
pps. I'm really just a confused colonial pom, you know - perhaps 'pip pip' would suit better?

An ex-pat? OK. Personally, I'd miss the northern constellations, but that's just me. And then there's all that stuff about water running backwards out of sinks, or something. "Pip pip" is certainly better than a recent intrusion into some of the Scots dialects - "see you later", which is pronounced as "see ye la'arr". Makes me grind my teeth.

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 3:01am) *

Could be:
High Rising Terminal
Rising Intonation
Australian/American Question Intonation
Moronic Interrogative

Stephen Fry said, in the Room 101 TV programme, that the practise was one of his pet hates.
Kato
QUOTE(Bottled Spider)

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 3:01am) *

Could be:
High Rising Terminal
Rising Intonation
Australian/American Question Intonation
Moronic Interrogative

Stephen Fry said, in the Room 101 TV programme, that the practise was one of his pet hates.

Wikipedia has the phenomenon as High rising terminal (T-H-L-K-D), and states that it "may have originated in New Zealand" and "is also a feature of several UK regional dialects, particularly those of Bristol, East Anglia and Northern Ireland", which is true.

According to Angela's WP bio, she was born in Norwich (East Anglia). So she has no hope, having moved to Australia where it is rampant. Mind you, Angela's bio is full of "lies and nonsense" so none of this could be accurate. But that's Wikipedia for you.

Jon Awbrey
This appears to be first occurrence of the Wiki wub.gif Wub poster on WR —

QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 28th February 2009, 1:26pm) *

A slideshow selection is available online, drawn from Angela Beesley's Presentation at the NSW Knowledge Management forum.

nswkmforum.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/feb-online-community-session-images-presentations-twitter/

QUOTE(Angela Beesley)

Not only did the presentation again blur the lines between the non-profit Wikipedia and the profit seeking Wikia, but Angela drew was accompanied by a hideous "chart" which looks like it was designed by inmates of the Jonestown compound. sick.gif *Update: Angela has informed a third-party that this is not by her and that it wasn't used in her presentation. She just liked it enough to show it on her blog.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.