Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: National Simpleton Party
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
carbuncle
I made the mistake of following a link to the Simple English wikipedia from another thread. I made another mistake by looking at the recent ("new") changes there.

A fairly new user (Barras) seems to have made it their mission to add bios of Nazis to the wiki.

Here's a snippet from Hermann Göring:

Hermann Wilhelm Göring (January 12, 1893 in Rosenheim – October 15 1946 in Nuremberg) was a German politican and military leader. Between 1932 and 1945, he was the president of the German Reichstag. He was also a minister of the Third Reich in some areas. In the time of the Second World War, he was the Commander-in-Chief of the German air force. Göring was responsible for the creation of the concentration camps and the Gestapo. In 1941, he gave to Reinhard Heydrich the order to arrange the "Final Solution".

Göring was one of the 24 people charged at the Nuremberg Trials. The judgment on October 1, 1946, said, that he has to hang, but he did suicide before he became execute.

I'm not sure if it's machine translation of something or just poor English skills. I lean toward the latter. The rest of the article (and other Nazi bios added by this user) is similar.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Sat 14th March 2009, 12:58pm) *

I'm not sure if it's machine translation of something or just poor English skills. I lean toward the latter. The rest of the article (and other Nazi bios added by this user) is similar.

From his user page, he says he's German with non-fluent English; this does look like a word-for-word translation from German, as opposed to a machine translation. (Although I have no problem with adding prominent Nazis to Simple; people like this, who are regularly taught in schools, are just the sort of bio Simple should be hosting, as opposed to stuff like this.)
weburiedoursecretsinthegarden
The judgment on October 1, 1946, said, that he has to hang, but he did suicide before he became execute.

That has to be one of the best translations of anything, ever.
Emperor
A bio of Goering is fair game for an encyclopedia.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 16th March 2009, 8:40pm) *

And the best person to add that bio is someone with minimal English skills?
Emperor
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 16th March 2009, 9:41pm) *

Why not? The idea is to get people involved and generating content.

Anyway, now it says that he was hanged before he was executed. I prefer the Encyc version.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 16th March 2009, 7:07pm) *

Anyway, now it says that he was hanged before he was executed. I prefer the Encyc version.

No, it said the judgement was that he "has to hang," not that he actually was hanged. It's actually clear enough, though certainly ungrammatical.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Emperor @ Tue 17th March 2009, 2:07am) *

Ah. I thought the idea was to communicate ideas simply and clearly, using a limited vocabulary, so that they can be understood by readers with minimal English skills. I've clearly misunderstood the whole project.

That would explain why the Simple article Glam rock (to pick an article more or less at random) says:
Glam rock is a genre of rock music that was popular in the early 1970's. It was made famous by acts such as David Bowie, T. Rex, Alice Cooper, Slade, Gary Glitter, Queen, Sweet and Alvin Stardust. Glam fans (usually referred to as "glitter kids") and performers distinguished themselves from the denim-clad hippie-hordes with sci-fi/mythological/Hollywood glamour/ambisexual-inspired costumes, which were perceived as glamorous by the press. The music was characterised by languid, narcotic ballads and raunchy, high-energy Rolling Stones–influenced rock n‘ roll stylings.

I must learn to stay away from Simple. Either that, or jump in head first and start "generating content". I'm pretty sure there's a bot that can help with that.

The Wales Hunter
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 17th March 2009, 12:13pm) *

I must learn to stay away from Simple. Either that, or jump in head first and start "generating content". I'm pretty sure there's a bot that can help with that.

Simple fascinates me. There is currently more discussion about whether to make the tabs rounded than there are article edits!

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia...:_Icon_Overhaul

laugh.gif

Come on, Majorly, you're a school teacher - teach them!
Emperor
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 16th March 2009, 11:12pm) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Mon 16th March 2009, 7:07pm) *

No, it said the judgement was that he "has to hang," not that he actually was hanged. It's actually clear enough, though certainly ungrammatical.

Sorry, I copied wrong. I meant it says that he committed suicide before he was executed. Could be kind of confusing if you're not a native English speaker.

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 17th March 2009, 8:13am) *

Jimbo will love you for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.