Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proposed addition of CSD-10
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
LaraLove
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...ncrete_proposal

A10:Any biography of a living person, created after 1st April 2009, which has no credible sources whatsoever, and has been tagged with {unreferenced BLP deletion} for at least 5 days. Administrators should check that the creator has been given adequate notice. (Note that any article deleted under this criterion may be summarily undeleted by any administrator if any editor indicates a willingness to source the article).

Template {unreferenced BLP deletion} should read: "This article on a living person lacks any sourcing. Please edit this article to provide sources. If this article is not sourced by [day-month-year] it may be subject to deletion. Do not remove this template unless sources have been provided.".
I have to say, the most saddening opposing argument comes from DGG (T-C-L-K-R-D) who apparently believes this is "an almost non-existent problem". Tens of thousands of unsourced BLPs, but he thinks there's no problem. He's also the gnat of this discussion, buzzing around the support votes to add the stupid idea that it should become administrative responsibility to source BLPs, rather than putting the responsibility on the author, as is policy.
Push the button
A10:Any biography of a living person, created after 1st April 2009, which has no credible sources whatsoever, and has been tagged with {unreferenced BLP deletion} for at least 5 days.

It would allow it to be deleted after 5 days? Hardly speedy deletion...in effect it's no different from an expired 'prod where the article's been prodded for having no sources. If speedy deletion of BLPs is to be extended beyond the usual (hoax, no assertion of notability, etc.) then why not have a carte-blanche approach whereby any BLP created post April 1 '09 with no credible sources can be deleted there and then?
One
QUOTE(Push the button @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 4:59pm) *

A10:Any biography of a living person, created after 1st April 2009, which has no credible sources whatsoever, and has been tagged with {unreferenced BLP deletion} for at least 5 days.

It would allow it to be deleted after 5 days? Hardly speedy deletion...in effect it's no different from an expired 'prod where the article's been prodded for having no sources. If speedy deletion of BLPs is to be extended beyond the usual (hoax, no assertion of notability, etc.) then why not have a carte-blanche approach whereby any BLP created post April 1 '09 with no credible sources can be deleted there and then?

Well, the idea is that if an admin spots one that meets this condition, it may be summarily dismissed. This is a start at addressing BLP deletion problem that Cla68 observed--AFD is a terrible way to deal with problem BLPs.

I think it should be retroactive though. Thousands of unsourced existing BLPs should be deleted right now.
GlassBeadGame
I understand a new BLP might be easier to identify, but why grandfather in older unsourced BLPs? If someone goes to the trouble of finding and tagging older unsourced BLPs those article subjects deserve at least the same treatment.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(Push the button @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 12:59pm) *

The writer of an article can remove a PROD tag, the writer of an article cannot remove a speedy deletion nomination tag.

Admins can technically turn down requests for speedy deletion, though in practice they essentially never do, I am not sure whether non-admins can remove valid speedy deletion tags (though they can remove invalid ones). In practice, you would have to be daft to do so, I think.

So it is substantially dissimilar in the end result.

I have to say, I was expecting this to get picked up here much faster.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 1:04pm) *

I understand a new BLP might be easier to identify, but why grandfather in older unsourced BLPs? If someone goes to the trouble of finding and tagging older unsourced BLPs those article subjects deserve at least the same treatment.

It makes it a lot more palatable to those who want the bios fixed, rather than deleted, to say "There won't be a backlog of 10K to be fixed tommorow if you approve this.
Push the button
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 4:07am) *

The writer of an article can remove a PROD tag, the writer of an article cannot remove a speedy deletion nomination tag.

Fair enough - sorry, my mistake.
LaraLove
Yea, it's a bit different than prod, but it gives more time that general speedy durations for sources to be found. Personally, I think they should be nuked instantly, as other CSDs are; however, history shows it's better to take baby steps here. Fighting for change with BLPs has been just that, a fight. We need to usher in whatever changes we can. If we have to start small, then we start small. That's how I see it now, anyway.
CharlotteWebb

...the writer of an article cannot remove a speedy deletion nomination tag.

In practice this happens quite frequently when the tag is obviously invalid, like where the tagger shows up two minutes after the first edit (to argue with a straight face) that being the First Lady is not an assertion of notability if her old man is only the leader of a "minor country" which doesn't speak English, for example.

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 5:49pm) *

Fighting for change with BLPs has been just that, a fight. We need to usher in whatever changes we can. If we have to start small, then we start small. That's how I see it now, anyway.

My salami has a first name, it's B-L-P-F-D!
My salami has a second name, it's W-W-I-I-I!

One slice at a time. Sweet Jesus.

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 5:09pm) *

It makes it a lot more palatable to those who want the bios fixed, rather than deleted, to say "There won't be a backlog of 10K to be fixed tommorow if you approve this.

Well this would be what separates those who want "more good articles" from those who want "fewer bad articles". Ideally we'd do a little bit of both.

We ought to keep a master list of articles deleted through this process. There's only so much people can save in five days. If we get wiki-archaeologists/necromancers/whatever willing and able to provide sources and improve the article a month later we'll be better off for it than waiting for somebody to re-create it a year later (possibly in a poorer condition). Unnecessary duplication of effort is a pet peeve of mine. Come on people, co-operate.

Obviously we'd also want a list of articles "saved" through this process due to the fire lit under their ass. Evaluation of "how well" the process has been working should not be one-sided.
JoseClutch
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 2:53pm) *

...the writer of an article cannot remove a speedy deletion nomination tag.

In practice this happens quite frequently when the tag is obviously invalid, like where the tagger shows up two minutes after the first edit (to argue with a straight face) that being the First Lady is not an assertion of notability if her old man is only the leader of a "minor country" which doesn't speak English, for example.

What a silly thing to do. You are much better off to let one of the C:CSDing admins show up and hope they decide to take their frustration with newpage patrollers who're all teeth and no brains out on that moron.

At the very least, it's a lot harder to remove a db- tag than a prod tag. At least by the book, the creator shouldn't do it. In practice, I'd say non-admins shouldn't decline valid speedy requests. Prod, anyone can decline for any reason.
Doc glasgow
I'm rather disgusted at this point.

I proposed this CSD, which I regard as pitifuly weak, in the hope that it might get consensus, and at very lest establish the principle that unreferenced BLPs hanging about for months is not only "not good" but utterly unacceptable.

However, it appears that our ostrich tendency would rather put the onus on the concerned person to demonstrate that the article is unverifiable, than risk biting the user who thinks it is OK to publish stuff on people without providing a source.

The troubling thing here is that we have at least one arbiter who obviously fails to understand this at all.

Now, let me reprint the longer rant I put on my userpage:

Flagged is not a panacea, and may be a white elephant

Flagged revisions is not going to solve much more than obvious vandalism. If we flag a good proportion of article, then we will need lots of reviewers, and the level will be set at sysop of lower - the job will be tedious and done by the lazy with an eye on edit count. The problem is that subtle attempt to insert credible untruths, half-truths, or facts spun to create an imbalanced biased picture of a person will almost certainly walk through this.

Only what is obvious to the average lazy reviewer will be prevented - but what is obvious to the reviewer is not harmful, because it is also obvious to the reader. Hence, general flagging will not solve the BLP problem, it will not really even help.

Maintainability

We won't dent this until we start to take maintainability into consideration as well as verifiability. Sure, any individual BLPs /can/ be written in good way, but, taken together, our wiki-structure /will not/ maintain this level of BLPs without an unacceptable level of harmful articles. Eventualism does not work here - because shitty biased BLPS in the meantime are not acceptable.

We have two choices:

1. delete a large proportion of our lower notability (=less watched by knowledgeable people) BLPs. OR

2. tweek the structures so that those motivated to be doing the quality control (and that includes clued readers) are able to maintain more articles.

The second option means looking at:

1. Spot banning anyone pushing negative POVs on a BLP. We should not waste resources arguing with such people.
2. Permanently semi-protecting any article where there's been a previous harmful BLP violation that's not been reverted within a few hours. These are the articles that our open editing has failed once - the subject should not be open to it again.
3. Insisting on sourcing Yes, the patroler /could/ google and check the verifiability of the thing for himself. But we simply DO NOT have enough clued patroler to do this. We must put the onus on the editor giving the information to "show his working" - so that the partoler (or the casual reader) will be quicker to see any problems where the sourcing does not support the text.

Why should unsourced BLPs not be tolerated? Because we cannot maintain any level of quality control as long as we keep making the checker do all the work. You want it in? You source it - otherwise NO.
Hipocrite
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 7:39pm) *

The problem with the proposal is that a tiny minority of the supporters of more strict rules for BLPs are so often so totally unsavory that it's hard to accept their concerns as valid. Not that I disagree with their concerns (though I don't see the problem as nearly as large as you do), but that a very small number of your allies, to put it mildly, are the worst people in the world.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 7:00pm) *

What a silly thing to do. You are much better off to let one of the C:CSDing admins show up and hope they decide to take their frustration with newpage patrollers who're all teeth and no brains out on that moron.

I'd give it about a 50% chance of being deleted without scrolling past the over-sized pink box. Of course if a serious edit war did break out most of the new-school admins would blindly lock-out/tag-out the article with some bullshit like "please discuss changes on the talk page" then disappear into the sunset. I haven't visited DRV lately but I can only imagine it's gotten worse too.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 4:43pm) *
The problem with the proposal is that a tiny minority of the supporters of more strict rules for BLPs are so often so totally unsavory that it's hard to accept their concerns as valid. Not that I disagree with their concerns (though I don't see the problem as nearly as large as you do), but that a very small number of your allies, to put it mildly, are the worst people in the world.
Cite specific examples.

I don't like everybody who takes a tough line on BLPs, but all of those people are, at least, showing concern for others. That makes them pretty much automatically not the worst people on Wikipedia, let alone the world.
CharlotteWebb

2. Permanently semi-protecting any article where there's been a previous harmful BLP violation that's not been reverted within a few hours. These are the articles that our open editing has failed once - the subject should not be open to it again.

Let's call this one WP:BLACKOUTBINGO. dry.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 1:03pm) *

I'm going to call it WP:SNOWBALL. Sprotection of all BLPs has been repeatedly proposed, AND rejected specifically by people who admit that IP-vandalism happens to BLPs and is not immediately reverted. Afterall, after the Kohs demo, how could they deny it? They just don't care. So no demo of this happening in any specific case is likely to help fix policy. It might help justify case-by-base admin action. bored.gif Another example of admins getting down on hands and knees to personally deal with janitorial tasks which should be automatic. Why automate what you have skilled volunteers to do? Keep whitewashing that ol' fence, boys.
Kevin
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 4:39am) *

I proposed this CSD, which I regard as pitifuly weak, in the hope that it might get consensus, and at very lest establish the principle that unreferenced BLPs hanging about for months is not only "not good" but utterly unacceptable.

However, it appears that our ostrich tendency would rather put the onus on the concerned person to demonstrate that the article is unverifiable, than risk biting the user who thinks it is OK to publish stuff on people without providing a source.

The troubling thing here is that we have at least one arbiter who obviously fails to understand this at all.

I originally proposed to apply this to all unsourced BLPs, and I can only imagine how much lower the support would be if it had not been watered down. It's obvious that the people are not capable of making a responsible decision. I really had high hopes for this.

JoseClutch
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 3:56pm) *

QUOTE(JoseClutch @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 7:00pm) *

I'd give it about a 50% chance of being deleted without scrolling past the over-sized pink box. Of course if a serious edit war did break out most of the new-school admins would blindly lock-out/tag-out the article with some bullshit like "please discuss changes on the talk page" then disappear into the sunset. I haven't visited DRV lately but I can only imagine it's gotten worse too.

Most of the admins patrolling C:CSD are actually quite good about this sort of thing, but it can vary. Almost all will pay attention to a {{hangon}}, especially if you're a bluelinked username (sad, but true).

DRV is a process wonk's dream, as it also has been for anything - well, anything not advertized here. If the rules say to do it, DRV'll close that way, regardless of whether it is a good idea. DRV will always side against a creator removing a speedy deletion tag from an article. always

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 4:03pm) *

Just do it, and don't discuss it. Put the policy at WP:/dev/null
Hipocrite
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 8:01pm) *

Cite specific examples.

I don't like everybody who takes a tough line on BLPs, but all of those people are, at least, showing concern for others. That makes them pretty much automatically not the worst people on Wikipedia, let alone the world.

I prefer not to get myself embroiled anymore with the individuals who are VERY VERY ANGRY about BLP. They seem to have a mean streak a mile wide, and far too much free time/money. If you really can't think of a single example of one of these people, you know, the kind who really uses whatever leverage they have in this world to make random people's lives much much worse, I think you need to spend just a little bit more time looking around. If you anger these kind of people too much, they hunt you down and they post your personal details on the internet and call your boss and try to get you fired. They aren't attackable in the same way because they are all either retired, self-employed, known crazies or just plain rich.

If only the "protect BLP" movement was able to distance itself from it's bad apples, I suspect people who really just respond negatively to anything those bad apples want would bugger off and stop opposing all the protect BLP proposals. A lot of people see the world as "with me or against me." It's very hard to stand with a whole bunch of vindictive assholes.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 5:27pm) *
I prefer not to get myself embroiled anymore with the individuals who are VERY VERY ANGRY about BLP. They seem to have a mean streak a mile wide, and far too much free time/money. If you really can't think of a single example of one of these people, you know, the kind who really uses whatever leverage they have in this world to make random people's lives much much worse, I think you need to spend just a little bit more time looking around. If you anger these kind of people too much, they hunt you down and they post your personal details on the internet and call your boss and try to get you fired. They aren't attackable in the same way because they are all either retired, self-employed, known crazies or just plain rich.

If only the "protect BLP" movement was able to distance itself from it's bad apples, I suspect people who really just respond negatively to anything those bad apples want would bugger off and stop opposing all the protect BLP proposals. A lot of people see the world as "with me or against me." It's very hard to stand with a whole bunch of vindictive assholes.
So as I understand it, you're saying that Doc Glasgow is basically working hand in hand with Daniel Brandt and Don Murphy. I suspect that this would come as a great surprise to all concerned.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:28pm) *

So as I understand it, you're saying that Doc Glasgow is basically working hand in hand with Daniel Brandt and Don Murphy. I suspect that this would come as a great surprise to all concerned.

Damn, yes. I am on a sekrit cabal mailing list with Danny B, Alison, Lar and Slim Virgin.

It all goes back to when we shared a flat in Nottinghill......

Seriously, hypocrite, even obnoxious trolls can be right sometimes.
Hipocrite
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 8:28pm) *

QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 5:27pm) *

No, I'm not saying that.

I'm saying the fact that bad evil people (not commenting on DB and DM, who I am certain are angelic sources of light and good) are aligned with Doc Glasgow, and that shortsighted disintersted people say "Wow, if bad evil people like it, I hate it!"

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 8:32pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:28pm) *

Damn, yes. I am on a sekrit cabal mailing list with Danny B, Alison, Lar and Slim Virgin.

It all goes back to when we shared a flat in Nottinghill......

Seriously, hypocrite, even obnoxious trolls can be right sometimes.

They can, but typically the fact that they are obnoxious trolls gets in the way of anyone seeing that.

Oh look, like right here, where I'm right but you're not reading a word I'm writing.
Doc glasgow
No, because you are wrong.

If people can't see past their reaction to one or two people to read and assess the argument, then that's really a sign of their own foolishness and close-mindedness not of the arguement or of those that are making it.

Even if a large group of those who are concerned about BLPs were trolls (and there is sod all evidence of that particular prejudice) what on earth would you have me do about it?

Frankly, you are distracting the issue into some foolish personality war. I don't care whether wikipedians hate Brandt or not. Can we deal with the issues?
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 5:34pm) *
I'm saying the fact that bad evil people (not commenting on DB and DM, who I am certain are angelic sources of light and good) are aligned with Doc Glasgow, and that shortsighted disintersted people say "Wow, if bad evil people like it, I hate it!"
Let's pretend for a moment that you are talking about DB and DM, just for the sake of illustration; what should the "pro-Wikipedia" BLP-types do to further distance themselves? Add the caveat "...except for articles about DB and DM" to every proposal they make to protect BLPs? Because it seems to me they've already done everything short of that.
Hipocrite
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 8:41pm) *

No, because you are wrong.

If people can't see past their reaction to one or two people to read and assess the argument, then that's really a sign of their own foolishness and close-mindedness not of the arguement or of those that are making it.

Even if a large group of those who are concerned about BLPs were trolls (and there is sod all evidence of that particular prejudice) what on earth would you have me do about it?

Frankly, you are distracting the issue into some foolish personality war. I don't care whether wikipedians hate Brandt or not. Can we deal with the issues?

Do you want to be right or do you want to win?

If you want to be right, sure, we can deal with the issues. You're right. The CSD proposal is spot on. The opposers are being retarded. Feel better now? Good. You still lose, but at least you lose RIGHT!

If you want to win, I can count, right now, in the !voting, at least 6 opposes who wouldn't be involved at all if it weren't for the fact that very evil people agree with you. Perhaps they could stop being so damned evil for a few months and see how things go, and if it turns out that that lets you get a lot of BLP issues resolved, perhaps they could stop being evil, generally.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:46pm) *

If you want to win, I can count, right now, in the !voting, at least 6 opposes who wouldn't be involved at all if it weren't for the fact that very evil people agree with you. Perhaps they could stop being so damned evil for a few months and see how things go, and if it turns out that that lets you get a lot of BLP issues resolved, perhaps they could stop being evil, generally.

If wikipedians are so bloody stupid and pettyminded, what the **** do you want me to do about it?

I do not know who these "evil people" are - but have as little control of them as I do over whatever righteous morons you are referring to.

Hipocrite
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 8:42pm) *

Let's pretend for a moment that you are talking about DB and DM, just for the sake of illustration; what should the "pro-Wikipedia" BLP-types do to further distance themselves? Add the caveat "...except for articles about DB and DM" to every proposal they make to protect BLPs? Because it seems to me they've already done everything short of that.

Step one would be to make it very clear that you think that whatever hypothetical evil people out there are doing is wrong, unjustifiable and counterproductive. Step two would be to focus on real BLP problems that don't have evil people fucking up the picture that your proposal would solve.

Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:53pm) *

Step one would be to make it very clear that you think that whatever hypothetical evil people out there are doing is wrong, unjustifiable and counterproductive. Step two would be to focus on real BLP problems that don't have evil people fucking up the picture that your proposal would solve.

Sorry, but you are an idiot.

I have not idea what evil people you are on about, and unlike you I'm uninterested in petty personality politics.

I am focusing on real BLP problems. Are you suggesting that I should focus on secret ones that your hate-figures don't know about? Or that I block all these demons of your imagination from the internet before I comment on BLP.

Please go away and rant incoherently elsewhere.

Hipocrite
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:01pm) *

QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:53pm) *

Sorry, but you are an idiot.

I have not idea what evil people you are on about, and unlike you I'm uninterested in petty personality politics.

I am focusing on real BLP problems. Are you suggesting that I should focus on secret ones that your hate-figures don't know about? Or that I block all these demons of your imagination from the internet before I comment on BLP.

Please go away and rant incoherently elsewhere.

You seem to think that I agree with the people who are torpedoing your proposal because they dislike evil people. You are wrong. You're also being an ass. Enjoy failure, I certainly will!
Somey
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 4:05pm) *
You seem to think that I agree with the people who are torpedoing your proposal because they dislike evil people. You are wrong.

No he isn't; you're obviously an evil person. Get used to the idea and learn to take advantage of your innate tendencies - you'll make more money once you graduate.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:27pm) *
I prefer not to get myself embroiled anymore with the individuals who are VERY VERY ANGRY about BLP. They seem to have a mean streak a mile wide

Invariably, the history shows such people are "mean" after they have been shat on by wikipediots. An aggressive approach has been demonstrated to be the effective way to force wikipedia to behave almost responsibly on this issue.

Hipocrite
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:35pm) *

You seem to think that I agree with the people who are torpedoing your proposal because they dislike evil people. You are wrong.

No he isn't; you're obviously an evil person. Get used to the idea and learn to take advantage of your innate tendencies - you'll make more money once you graduate.

Oh, I'm aware I'm deeply evil, and I certainly monetize it. I don't agree with the idiots torpedoing his proposal though, and I also don't agree with the evil people they dislike.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 10:43pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 9:35pm) *

Oh, I'm aware I'm deeply evil, and I certainly monetize it. I don't agree with the idiots torpedoing his proposal though, and I also don't agree with the evil people they dislike.

Either say what you mean, or get lost. Who are these evil people? And what exactly are you proposing I/we do about it?

I think you are trolling.
Somey

Well, that's okay, then! smile.gif

Sorry... So I'll just say this, as I've no doubt said before: Guilt-by-association is almost always a bad thing. And of course the people making the most noise about BLP are going to be the ones who feel the most personally victimized by WP articles, and it also stands to reason that they're going to seem obnoxious about it to their opponents, since that's what making noise is all about. Most people (and I'm not saying there are all that many) who want their WP articles deleted on the grounds of privacy or fear-of-defamation aren't likely to make noise about it, because they're smart people and they know what that entails and don't want to make things worse for themselves in the short term.

Conversely, I'd like to believe we've made a fairly conscientious effort here to avoid making similar knee-jerk assumptions about the people who oppose this latest idea. It would be easy to dismiss them all as either "sociopaths," or people who have an axe to grind against a particular "non-notable" person and are trying to prevent anything that would prevent them from eventually posting a hatchet-piece about them on WP. I personally think it's perfectly valid to think of them as simply misguided, but for rhetorical reasons it's necessary for us to refer to them as the "anti-humanity" forces, and ourselves as the "pro-humanity" forces. It's just part of the standard ideological-campaign playbook.
Casliber
Back on topic then...

Ok Scott, some homework - some background on the PRODding would have been a good starting point to show people in the first place.

i.e. did this fail?

Cas
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 12:02am) *

Back on topic then...

Ok Scott, some homework - some background on the PRODding would have been a good starting point to show people in the first place.

i.e. did this fail?

Cas

My prodding is not strictly relevant, since I've not been prodding solely on the grounds of "unreferenced"

I've been working through the articles that are both marked as unreferenced AND as orphans (thus less likely to be notable). There are over 3,000 of these in the cross category - I've only reviewed 400 so far.

I've been prodding the ones among these that seem to fail the notability criteria (which is a fairly high proportion - about 1 in 4-5 - indeed a number were clearly speedies). Of those I've prodded about 80-85% seem to go to deletion - which means that those reviewing prod category agree that they are not notable (those reviewers include DGG).

I've had few "creator removes tag" - but then, these are mainly older articles and the creators are often long gone.

Sometimes the tag has been removed and the article fixed up (which is fine) other times not, and I've gone with some to AfD.

I've also found a couple of dozen horrific articles, which I fed to other admins to speedy. (The speedies would have been uncontroversial. (Unfortunately since I did this via IRC there's no record of what I found -which is in hindsight unfortunate.) Some of these articles were years old. One was a badly referenced attack since 2003!

What I'd note is that, even with our fairly low notability requirements, we seem to have a lot of BLP articles that clearly fail them, yet hang around because no one takes action. That's not good. Because these articles are often unverifiable and thus if harmful few will notice.

I'd also not that we seem to have far too few eyes doing the type of thing I'm doing now. And remember I've only looked at 400 of a class set of 30,000 unreferenced - and I can't even say I've looked closely at most of that 400. I threw many back as too boring to read.
Rhindle
What's the deal with this "scaring away editors" crap?

Oppose per Sjakkalle and DGG. I like the idea of having everything sourced (BLP and otherwise) but I think that's going to keep a lot of editors away. We aren't (yet? ever?) at the point we want to decrease the number of editors joining us, and this kind of thing will drive people away. 141.212.111.116 (talk) 20:43, 2 April 2009 (UTC)

Hello, McFly! Wikipedia is a top ten website and is one of the first hits on almost any subject you search for. Any idiot who can access the internet knows about this place and has made the decision to edit it or not by now. If they totally shut down anon editing its not that hard to register an account (way too easy actually). If someone really wanted to participate a required registration will not scare a well-intentioned contributor away. That's for the Cabal to do tongue.gif.

Anon editing may have been good in the beginning when it was necessary to throw as much crap on the wall as you could and see what sticks. Now it is time to refine the crap that has stuck and mold it into featured crap that is well-sourced, not defamitory, and does not push any agenda.
Casliber
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 10:26am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 12:02am) *

Back on topic then...

i.e. did this fail?

Cas

My prodding is not strictly relevant, since I've not been prodding solely on the grounds of "unreferenced"

I've been working through the articles that are both marked as unreferenced AND as orphans (thus less likely to be notable). There are over 3,000 of these in the cross category - I've only reviewed 400 so far.

I've been prodding the ones among these that seem to fail the notability criteria (which is a fairly high proportion - about 1 in 4-5 - indeed a number were clearly speedies). Of those I've prodded about 80-85% seem to go to deletion - which means that those reviewing prod category agree that they are not notable (those reviewers include DGG).

I've had few "creator removes tag" - but then, these are mainly older articles and the creators are often long gone.

Sometimes the tag has been removed and the article fixed up (which is fine) other times not, and I've gone with some to AfD.

I've also found a couple of dozen horrific articles, which I fed to other admins to speedy. (The speedies would have been uncontroversial. (Unfortunately since I did this via IRC there's no record of what I found -which is in hindsight unfortunate.) Some of these articles were years old. One was a badly referenced attack since 2003!

What I'd note is that, even with our fairly low notability requirements, we seem to have a lot of BLP articles that clearly fail them, yet hang around because no one takes action. That's not good. Because these articles are often unverifiable and thus if harmful few will notice.

I'd also not that we seem to have far too few eyes doing the type of thing I'm doing now. And remember I've only looked at 400 of a class set of 30,000 unreferenced - and I can't even say I've looked closely at most of that 400. I threw many back as too boring to read.

Well, from what you report, it sounds like it is going quite well. What is wrong with this process you have adopted thus far? it is completely relevant as it shows there is ample scope in existing guidelines to accomplish this.
Kevin
QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 8:31am) *

Well, from what you report, it sounds like it is going quite well. What is wrong with this process you have adopted thus far? it is completely relevant as it shows there is ample scope in existing guidelines to accomplish this.

Are you suggesting we PROD all 30000 articles? And if you are, what is the difference between doing that, and the proposed process, aside from the creator not being able to untag? An advantage I can see is that the tag could clearly explain what is needed, rather than the sometimes cryptic explanations on a PROD tag.

Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 12:31am) *

Nope. I'm prodding things for being non-notable, not for being unreferenced.

Prod and afd work, and have always worked for unnotable things. (Although there are not being used enough).

This has nothing to do with the problem of unreferenced articles.

(Although having said that, the lack of references means that all the effort is on my part in trying to verify the article and identify what's crap. Unfortunately I don't upscale, and my research shows that the partollers are not doing their job. We have very limited people doing quality control and it is long past the time when we should shift the burden of research from the hardpressed to those who want to create or keep articles. That's what saying no unsourced articles would do)

Why should unsourced BLPs not be tolerated? Because we cannot maintain any level of quality control as long as we keep making the checker do all the work. You want it in? You want to keep it in? You source it - otherwise NO. I'm sick of the inclusionists telling us we have to do all the work, and then when an unreferenced article is prodded or afd'd, they find a source and smugly say "oh, you should have looked harder, googled more, verified more"
dtobias
Yes, you always need to come up with a positive-sounding name for whatever your position is, like "pro-life" or "pro-choice", and a negative-sounding name for the opposing position, like "anti-life" or "anti-choice". That way you can win the battle before it even starts.
Casliber
QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 11:00am) *

Yes, you always need to come up with a positive-sounding name for whatever your position is, like "pro-life" or "pro-choice", and a negative-sounding name for the opposing position, like "anti-life" or "anti-choice". That way you can win the battle before it even starts.

Umm...huh? Sorry, you lost me on that one - which name does this refer to?

QUOTE(Kevin @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 10:41am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 8:31am) *

Are you suggesting we PROD all 30000 articles? And if you are, what is the difference between doing that, and the proposed process, aside from the creator not being able to untag? An advantage I can see is that the tag could clearly explain what is needed, rather than the sometimes cryptic explanations on a PROD tag.

Usually it is pretty obvious what the PROD is about, i.e. a short unreferenced article, and therefore spellign it out isn't as necessary, and contested PROD --> AfD (straightforward)
dtobias
QUOTE(Casliber @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 8:09pm) *

Sorry... it was regarding Somey's "...for rhetorical reasons it's necessary for us to refer to them as the "anti-humanity" forces, and ourselves as the "pro-humanity" forces. It's just part of the standard ideological-campaign playbook." I should have quoted it.
Casliber
QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 11:13am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Thu 2nd April 2009, 8:09pm) *

Sorry... it was regarding Somey's "...for rhetorical reasons it's necessary for us to refer to them as the "anti-humanity" forces, and ourselves as the "pro-humanity" forces. It's just part of the standard ideological-campaign playbook." I should have quoted it.

Aaaaah, reminds me of an old Charlie Brown comic strip where there is a detailed debate over whether a team game should be 'us and them' or 'we and they'
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 1:09am) *

Usually it is pretty obvious what the PROD is about, i.e. a short unreferenced article, and therefore spellign it out isn't as necessary, and contested PROD --> AfD (straightforward)

Em, nope.

AfD is NOT about content, and it is not for cleanup - it is about having a debate concerning "is this subject worthy of an article?" We only go to afd when someone is arguing that no article should exist here - and we expect the nominator to have done their homework. The onus is on the nominator to make their case.

An unreferenced BLP may or may not be worthy of an article, but when I suggest unreferenced BLPs should be deleted what I am saying is "we should not have an article in this state - so unless someone is willing to reference it now/soon, it should be deleted without prejudice to re-creation or later or even undeletion when someone will source".

There is no need for afd, since we don't need a debate on the article itself.

Either we say:
*we keep all unreferenced BLPs, unless someone researches them and sources them or find them to be unverifiable or non notable (however long that may take). In which case the reviewer needs to argue for deletion on grounds other than unreferenced.
OR
*we delete all unreferenced BLPs (after a period), until/unless someone researches them and sources them.

The first option puts all the onus on the reviewer - and we already have too few active reviewers with too many articles to maintain. The second says to the person giving or wishing to retain a particular article that they have to help by doing a little work.
Casliber
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 11:43am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 1:09am) *

Em, nope.

AfD is NOT about content, and it is not for cleanup - it is about having a debate concerning "is this subject worthy of an article?" We only go to afd when someone is arguing that no article should exist here - and we expect the nominator to have done their homework. The onus is on the nominator to make their case.

An unreferenced BLP may or may not be worthy of an article, but when I suggest unreferenced BLPs should be deleted what I am saying is "we should not have an article in this state - so unless someone is willing to reference it now/soon, it should be deleted without prejudice to re-creation or later or even undeletion when someone will source".

There is no need for afd, since we don't need a debate on the article itself.

Either we say:
*we keep all unreferenced BLPs, unless someone researches them and sources them or find them to be unverifiable or non notable (however long that may take). In which case the reviewer needs to argue for deletion on grounds other than unreferenced.
OR
*we delete all unreferenced BLPs (after a period), until/unless someone researches them and sources them.

The first option puts all the onus on the reviewer - and we already have too few active reviewers with too many articles to maintain. The second says to the person giving or wishing to retain a particular article that they have to help by doing a little work.

(1) There are plenty of afd nominations where the nominator has not been exhaustive in the searhc for references.

(2) If an article is entirely unreferenced, then its notability is indeed in question (and hence AfD is appropriate). If it has some references then the unreferenced material can be removed as per existing policy - and note that as a greater proportaion of articles have inline referencing, unreferenced material is more and more obvious and easier to remove.

Trying to push the point with blanket proposals is not going to work when existing processes (as you have shown yourself) can work.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 1:50am) *

(1) There are plenty of afd nominations where the nominator has not been exhaustive in the searhc for references.

And they are consistently criticised for it.

(2) If an article is entirely unreferenced, then its notability is indeed in question (and hence AfD is appropriate). If it has some references then the unreferenced material can be removed as per existing policy - and note that as a greater proportaion of articles have inline referencing, unreferenced material is more and more obvious and easier to remove.

Trying to push the point with blanket proposals is not going to work when existing processes (as you have shown yourself) can work.

Ok, so do I understand that you are suggesting that I and others take the 30,000 unreferenced articles and prod them all using AWB (over a period of say 30 weeks)

If people remove the prod and reference the article, fine. However if the prod is removed, we simply AfD the article with "this article is unreferenced - please discuss its notability and reference it or delete it"

I am really willing to adopt that policy, but I'd look forward to my ass being hauled before you on arbcom.

Kevin
I thought the point was to make a process that does not allow the process to be halted without adding sources, and that is not prejudicial to recreation with sources added later.

AfD is prejuducial to re-creation, unless the closer is specific on the deletion reason, which they are often not.

Casliber
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 11:56am) *

And they are consistently criticised for it.

Ok, so do I understand that you are suggesting that I and others take the 30,000 unreferenced articles and prod them all using AWB (over a period of say 30 weeks)

If people remove the prod and reference the article, fine. However if the prod is removed, we simply AfD the article with "this article is unreferenced - please discuss its notability and reference it or delete it"

I am really willing to adopt that policy, but I'd look forward to my ass being hauled before you on arbcom.

Given the mood on BLPs at the moment, I highly doubt it would make arbcom or even AN/I if everyone keeps the communication lines open and maintains a collaborative spirit.

The "default to delete" idea for marginal BLPs seems to be popular for no consensus too, and then prompting closing admins to specify a reason and note for redeletion if an unimporved and unsourced article resurfaces.

I have noticed the general mood is changing with increased sensitivity and sympathy to/with these issues, so I think the process is a feasible one.
wikiwhistle
Just google and find reliable sources (if there are any.) Add them- problem solved.

If there aren't, delete as non-notable; that's within existing policy on WP and doesn't need a new one.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Fri 3rd April 2009, 3:15am) *

Just google and find reliable sources (if there are any.) Add them- problem solved.

If there aren't, delete as non-notable; that's within existing policy on WP and doesn't need a new one.

Unfortunately that's the solution that's failed.

It sounds good, and works for an individual article. However it puts all the onus on to the reviewer - he has to review the article, research the available sources, read them, and assess them, and then either add them or go to deletion. The person wishing to create the article or retain the article doesn't have to do anything.

We simply don't have enough people reviewing to do that. The net result is 30,000 articles with no sources (and growing) plus hell knows known many with crap sources or sourced that don't support the content. With none of these being checked, we don't know how many are libellous.

If we make the creators or retainers provide sourcing, it is much easier for the reviewers (and here I include the casual reader) to say "hm, that source doesn't support that" and to deal with it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.