Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New ArbCom policy draft
> Wikimedia Discussion > Bureaucracy
Hipocrite
See Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/Draft policy. I've already asked if they've considered removing the Jimbo role from the whole thing.
Hipocrite
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 9th April 2009, 1:43pm) *

You kids and your newfangled markup. Thanks for the heads up on the {wp} syntax.
everyking
I'd like to see a project-wide vote of no confidence in the ArbCom. The ArbCom's fundamental problems are lack of transparency and failure to properly engage with the community or even with case participants. Unless those problems are fixed, the ArbCom will always hurt the project more than it helps.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 9th April 2009, 4:05pm) *

I'd like to see a project-wide vote of no confidence in the ArbCom. The ArbCom's fundamental problems are lack of transparency and failure to properly engage with the community or even with case participants. Unless those problems are fixed, the ArbCom will always hurt the project more than it helps.

So, why have you kept quiet about these feelings for so long? dry.gif
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Hipocrite @ Thu 9th April 2009, 2:37pm) *

See Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/Draft policy. I've already asked if they've considered removing the Jimbo role from the whole thing.

Are you finding the responses so far encouraging?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...ft_policy#Jimbo

Has the comittee considered removing the Jimbo function from its charter? Hipocrite (talk) 13:35, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

While I'm somewhat sympathetic to this idea (build for a future without Jimbo, it will come eventually, if only due to natural causes) I think this would have the effect of provoking a constitutional crisis.--Tznkai (talk) 13:44, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

Only if the Jimbo figure opposed removing the Jimbo figure from the policy. Is that the case? Hipocrite (talk) 13:46, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

Considering he fights to keep titles on smaller projects he never edits, I think it can be assumed that he's not relinquishing the GodKing title without a fight. Ù„ennavecia 15:19, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

Hey, Jimbo's the guy who got this thing up and running, and stopped it going down really bad pathways. He has not allowed advertising. He's a good PR person. These are good reasons for not changing this aspect—not yet, anyway. There are far more urgent aspects to get right before his relationship with ArbCom and the project were ever challenged. Tony (talk) 15:39, 9 April 2009 (UTC)

privatemusings
as part of the 2009 great re-jig, there's a draft policy up for discussion, which I think has gone un-noted here....

My first reaction was to wonder if the ten mentions of Jimbo are really necessary - I think they're not, and I think this may be a good opportunity to untangle some of the nonsense around what exactly the arbcom is, and how it works.

There's been agenda-led obfuscation in this area for too long, I reckon, and it's just a bit silly.
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Mon 13th April 2009, 11:51pm) *

as part of the 2009 great re-jig, there's a draft policy up for discussion, which I think has gone un-noted here....

Here you go. (Maybe call for thread merge later.)

My first reaction was to wonder if the ten mentions of Jimbo are really necessary - I think they're not, and I think this may be a good opportunity to untangle some of the nonsense around what exactly the arbcom is, and how it works.

Are you proposing Jimbo should not appoint/remove "arbitrators"?
privatemusings
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Mon 13th April 2009, 11:02pm) *

Here you go.

doh! - and basically yes. I don't think Jimbo's role in arbcom is either necessary or even helpful, to be honest. That's completely without prejudice as to the merits of whomever plays it (the role - Jimbo in this case).
Malleus
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Tue 14th April 2009, 12:02am) *

Are you proposing that it's quite proper that he should?
The Joy
Perhaps some form of impeachment/recall process for Arbitrators would be better than relying on Jimbo and his judgment?

A steward then could implement the decision without Jimbo's interference.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 13th April 2009, 8:50pm) *

Perhaps some form of impeachment/recall process for Arbitrators would be better than relying on Jimbo and his judgment?

Steward seems an unlikely call for that; they deal with technical permissions, which Arbitrator isn't. I'd expect somebody more English Wikipedia-specific to deal with it - Arb Comm clerks, maybe, if they weren't subordinate to Arb Comm.
Malleus
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 14th April 2009, 12:52am) *

Steward seems an unlikely call for that; they deal with technical permissions, which Arbitrator isn't. I'd expect somebody more English Wikipedia-specific to deal with it - Arb Comm clerks, maybe, if they weren't subordinate to Arb Comm.

Why not just go with the result of the vote?
The Joy
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Mon 13th April 2009, 7:52pm) *

I think the only way to impeach an ArbCom member would require some special Community-backed Requests for Comment, but that means determining Community consensus and that is a definition that is heavily disputed.

How many Wikipedians would it take to remove a corrupt Arbitrator? Who will analyze and carry out the consensus?

There needs to be checks and balances. The ArbCom should be able to do its job and be protected from light and transient attempts to undermine it, yet realize that consistent incompetence or corruption could result in sanctions against it. Waiting until the next ArbCom election to remove a corrupt arbitrator would cause more problems in the interim.
Newyorkbrad
QUOTE(Malleus @ Mon 13th April 2009, 8:01pm) *

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 14th April 2009, 12:52am) *

Why not just go with the result of the vote?

If you are referring to the appointment process vote, in the last two elections, I believe that Jimbo Wales did appoint strictly according to the election results. The only discretion involved was in how many appointments to make; last December, he expanded the committee by a couple of positions, but I don't think there was any controversy about his doing so.

If you are referring to a removal process vote, at present there is no such process. I am open to the idea of creating one, but as has been observed above in this threat, it would be very open to misuse in the form of retaliating against arbitrators for short-term unpopular decisions or votes.
EricBarbour
Selection
Normal appointments
The members of the Committee shall be appointed by Jimbo Wales, in his role as project leader, following advisory elections whose format shall be decided by the community.

Interim appointments
Jimbo Wales may, at his discretion, make interim appointments between regular elections or extend the terms of sitting arbitrators to compensate for early departures or long-term inactivity.

FUCK THIS. I am sick and tired of hearing the "holy holy Jimbo" chant.

This "proposal" is a straw dog. The status quo is maintained, nothing changes
substantially. The changes to existing practice are trivial and shallow.

If Wikipedia were run in the vaguest halfway-democratic fashion, Arbcom members would have to
run for office...in OPEN elections. This is not open anything. King Wales the Questionable, the
world's lamest boy-emperor, maintains his pussy-grip on control of Arbcom, and accountability
is denied, as in the past.

RESIGN, JIMBO!
Alex
Selection
The members of the Committee shall be appointed by Jimbo Wales, in his role as project leader...

Since when does Jimbo "lead" Wikipedia? This is certainly news to me.

He leads Wikipedia perhaps as much as the Queen rules England.
Shalom
QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 13th April 2009, 7:57pm) *

Selection
The members of the Committee shall be appointed by Jimbo Wales, in his role as project leader...

You are correct. The notion of Jimbo as project leader is a historical artifact. In attempting to rewrite the arbitration policy without changing anything too important, the drafters have maintained the historical precedent of Jimbo as project leader.

Probably the best formulation of Jimbo's perceived authority comes from the infamous Pedophilia userbox wheel war case in 2006. The final principle was drafted primarily by Essjay, and reads as follows. (Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...imate_authority )

Jimbo as the ultimate authority
12) Jimbo Wales has ultimate authority on Wikimedia projects; as a foundation issue that is beyond debate. Though he is in many contexts an ordinary user whose edits and administrative actions are subject to change or reversal per normal community processes, when Jimbo acts with ultimate authority as project leader, every community member is expected and obliged to comply with his decisions, though discussion, criticism and request for reversal is permitted.

The Board of Trustees is empowered to review such decisions by Jimbo. Users who act in deliberate defiance of an authoritative action by Jimbo are subject to sanctions, including banning and desysopping, particularly temporary ("emergency") desysopping.

Passed 8-0 with 2 abstentions
I can't fault the arbitrators for maintaining this language, or a variant thereof, in the 2009 policy draft. They can fry this fish at some later date.

Newyorkbrad
QUOTE(Shalom @ Mon 13th April 2009, 10:04pm) *

QUOTE(Alex @ Mon 13th April 2009, 7:57pm) *

Selection

You are correct. The notion of Jimbo as project leader is a historical artifact. In attempting to rewrite the arbitration policy without changing anything too important, the drafters have maintained the historical precedent of Jimbo as project leader.

Probably the best formulation of Jimbo's perceived authority comes from the infamous Pedophilia userbox wheel war case in 2006. The final principle was drafted primarily by Essjay, and reads as follows. (Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...imate_authority )

Jimbo as the ultimate authority
12) Jimbo Wales has ultimate authority on Wikimedia projects; as a foundation issue that is beyond debate. Though he is in many contexts an ordinary user whose edits and administrative actions are subject to change or reversal per normal community processes, when Jimbo acts with ultimate authority as project leader, every community member is expected and obliged to comply with his decisions, though discussion, criticism and request for reversal is permitted.

The Board of Trustees is empowered to review such decisions by Jimbo. Users who act in deliberate defiance of an authoritative action by Jimbo are subject to sanctions, including banning and desysopping, particularly temporary ("emergency") desysopping.

Passed 8-0 with 2 abstentions
I can't fault the arbitrators for maintaining this language, or a variant thereof, in the 2009 policy draft. They can fry this fish at some later date.

There has been a significant change since 2006, however, in that Jimbo Wales has agreed that his decisions can be appealed to, and are subject to reversal or modification by, the ArbCom. (And in such cases, that the committee's decision is final, i.e., can't be appealed back to Jimbo.) I believe he first acknowledged this at the time of the Miltopia ban, and it has been clearly incorporated into the new draft of the policy.
The Joy
QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Mon 13th April 2009, 10:10pm) *

There has been a significant change since 2006, however, in that Jimbo Wales has agreed that his decisions can be appealed to, and are subject to reversal or modification by, the ArbCom. (And in such cases, that the committee's decision is final, i.e., can't be appealed back to Jimbo.) I believe he first acknowledged this at the time of the Miltopia ban, and it has been clearly incorporated into the new draft of the policy.

The problem is if Jimbo is incapacitated or unable for some reason to continue his duties as "project leader," then there'll be a "constitutional" crisis.

If Jimbo is going to have monarch powers, he needs a successor with the same technical powers he has. Otherwise, relying on solely Jimbo for major decisions such as ArbCom selection is a disaster waiting to happen.

I suppose the WMF could, but there are legal problems with doing that. It would probably be someone like Raul654 or even Fred Bauder.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 14th April 2009, 12:05am) *
The problem is if Jimbo is incapacitated or unable for some reason to continue his duties as "project leader," then there'll be a "constitutional" crisis.
I think you'd find that the community would just agree that whoever got the most votes in Arb Comm elections would be elected. Appointing Arb Comm is the only thing Jimbo does as a matter of course, and accordingly the only place I can think of where there could be a constitutional crisis.
I suppose the WMF could, but there are legal problems with doing that.
While I am emphatically not a lawyer, I haven't seen anything to suggest that involving itself in one of its projects' governance (as opposed to content control) would jeopardize whatever 230 immunity it has.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Mon 13th April 2009, 6:51pm) *

as part of the 2009 great re-jig, there's a draft policy up for discussion, which I think has gone un-noted here …

My first reaction was to wonder if the ten mentions of Jimbo are really necessary — I think they're not, and I think this may be a good opportunity to untangle some of the nonsense around what exactly the arbcom is, and how it works.

There's been agenda-led obfuscation in this area for too long, I reckon, and it's just a bit silly.

Mods,

Doesn't this belong on the Boreaukrazy Bored, or some other snooze sleep.gif fest out of sight out of mind?

Jon sleep.gif
Cedric
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 13th April 2009, 10:28pm) *

Doesn't this belong on the Boreaukrazy Bored, or some other snooze sleep.gif fest out of sight out of mind?

Jon sleep.gif

Done. Also merged in the "Arbitration Committee/Draft policy" thread.
Son of a Yeti
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 13th April 2009, 8:05pm) *

If Jimbo is going to have monarch powers, he needs a successor with the same technical powers he has. Otherwise, relying on solely Jimbo for major decisions such as ArbCom selection is a disaster waiting to happen.

He certainly needs a successor. I volunteer to be the Dauphin.

How would it look?

Son of a Yeti as the ultimate authority
12) Son of a Yeti has ultimate authority on Wikimedia projects; as a foundation issue that is beyond debate. Though he is in many contexts an ordinary user whose edits and administrative actions are subject to change or reversal per normal community processes, when Yeti Jr. acts with ultimate authority as project leader, every community member is expected and obliged to comply with his decisions, though discussion, criticism and request for reversal is permitted.

However, I would cut the final words starting with "though" or at least add "limited" just after it.
Shalom
Son of the Yeti:

I AM YOUR FATHER
A Man In Black
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 13th April 2009, 9:05pm) *

I suppose the WMF could, but there are legal problems with doing that. It would probably be someone like Raul654 or even Fred Bauder.

Wouldn't the only missing roles be appointing interim arbs? Arbcom has gotten by without interim arbs before.
One
QUOTE(A Man In Black @ Wed 15th April 2009, 12:35am) *

Wouldn't the only missing roles be appointing interim arbs? Arbcom has gotten by without interim arbs before.

Yep. There was talk of a midterm election, but I suspect that it would be much more trouble than it's worth. At any rate, a provision could be written to trigger a midterm election if there are more than X absences on a certain date(s).
Son of a Yeti
QUOTE(Shalom @ Tue 14th April 2009, 1:44pm) *

Son of the Yeti:

I AM YOUR FATHER

Do you also have an offer about ruling something together?

wtf.gif
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 14th April 2009, 12:42am) *

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Tue 14th April 2009, 12:02am) *

Are you proposing that it's quite proper that he should?

No - but I think its a small chunk of the problem. My current thinking on this is:
  • arbcom is a joke
  • the foundation of arbcom is delegated authority from Jimbo, limiting its scope to issues that would otherwise be decided through Jimbo's talk page
  • the proposal at hand is fiddling. The arbcom joke is an expression of a wider structural failing, which can't be fixed without a root-and-branch restructuring of wikipedia. This would be targeted to introduce authentic and effective governance, complete with a working quality control process.
  • because so many of the players cling to an ideology that can't recognise the problem, wikipedia is incapable of the needed restructuring
  • therefore, it matters not a squat how arbcompoops get into "office"

Wikipedia's approach is to let any passer-by damage its assets, then beat them over the head for it later (if they get on someone's wrong side). Arbcom is just a stick to do the beating with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.