Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Publishing experience on the WMF Board
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
The question has been asked.

Which of the current (or former) Wikimedia trustees has any experience in reference publishing?

Greg
thekohser
See? Already I have learned that the WMF describes Michael Snow as:
Michael is an attorney and earned his J.D. degree from the University of Washington.

However, Michael Snow describes himself as:
I work as a writer and designer of online courses, at present dealing with the construction industry. Since I write mostly for a lay audience, hopefully my experience helps me use an appropriate writing style for Wikipedia. I am a lawyer by training, which gives me a perspective on the problem of balancing opposing positions (and having to present arguments for a position one does not agree with). I fully support the NPOV policy.

I suppose one is an "attorney" even if you aren't practicing, just as long as your credentials with the bar association are kept current, right?
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 23rd April 2009, 11:43am) *
I suppose one is an "attorney" even if you aren't practicing, just as long as your credentials with the bar association are kept current, right?
All you have to do is pass the bar once and then avoid being disbarred. Maintaining "active" status with the bar association is entirely optional.
Daniel Brandt
He is a member of the Washington state bar and keeps his info current, but is described as "not actively practicing law." And I've confirmed his birthdate: 1974-01-22

(If you have an alleged birthdate already, and the subject of your research is listed at www.veromi.net, then you can put the exact birthdate into their form and if it hits exactly, they will spit out the name. If it's even slightly off, the name you entered won't hit for that birthdate. But normally you can only see the current age on this site, which would mean it takes up to 365 tries to hit on the exact birthdate!)

I think he really wanted to be a journalist. I invited him to send me questions for a Signpost interview when he asked me in January 2007, as I recall, but I declined to comment on every single one of his questions, so it never happened. I could tell from the questions what the final product would look like, and I was still trying to get my bio deleted!
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 23rd April 2009, 7:25am) *

The question has been asked.

Which of the current (or former) Wikimedia trustees has any experience in reference publishing?

Greg

But why would that be pertinent?

The WikiMediocracy Foundation is not a publisher, much less of reference works. It is by its own e-mission nothing but a phone company, and we are but the eavesdroppers on it.

Well, except for those among us who are Silly Buggers.

Ja Ja boing.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 23rd April 2009, 11:02am) *
The WikiMediocracy Foundation is not a publisher, much less of reference works.

Lack of publishing experience didn't stop Jimmybo from offering the newspaper industry advice.....
Cedric
The question has now been "resolved" with a "best answer". evilgrin.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Cedric @ Sat 25th April 2009, 11:14am) *

The question has now been "resolved" with a "best answer". evilgrin.gif

It was too easy. Sorry, couldn't resist. winky.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.