Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GFDL means...
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
I may need some assistance with this fellow who boasts of unified accounts on 54 Wikimedia projects, an interest in train-spotting, and scouting.

He says of some content that I entirely originated (except for the "infobox" and other wiki templates):

I think you are misunderstanding the GFDL here. Once you release "your" work under the GFDL, it is no longer yours. Regardless of where you get it from, it must then be cited under GFDL if it is at all copied verbatim. Not complying with the GFDL is a blockable offence I would like to add. A tip: you're on thin ice already, try not to cause drama or draw attention to yourself

What do we do with such people?

Greg
thekohser
Perhaps a "never mind" is in order. Bluegoblin7 appears to already be dining on a bit of crow.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 1st May 2009, 2:52pm) *

Perhaps a "never mind" is in order. Bluegoblin7 appears to already be dining on a bit of crow.

The attribution should be on the article page, not the talk page.

Look at the form that I used for content that I copied over to Wikipedia Review.

For example: http://wikipediareview.com/Charles_Sanders_Peirce#Document_history

This is a matter of scholarly ethics, all aside from whatever legalities may be in force.

Jon Awbrey
thekohser

Oh, silly me. What was I myself thinking?

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 1st May 2009, 3:38pm) *

Oh, silly me. What was I myself thinking?

Yes, it's amazing how the most craven scrapers observe the proper forms in the proper spirit, while the Prime Scrapers themselves stubbornly thumb their noses at the generosity of their contributors.

Jon Awbrey
Jon Awbrey
It's A Wiki … I Fixt It —

Ja Ja boing.gif
Shalom
Greg, if this is how you get bullied on Simple, do you really need to bother with requesting an unban on enwiki?
anthony
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 1st May 2009, 6:35pm) *

I may need some assistance with this fellow who boasts of unified accounts on 54 Wikimedia projects

Sheesh, only 54? I've got 685.
EricBarbour
Hey Greg! I gotta great idea!

Get a friend to copy some text off Wikipedia Review and post it on Wikipedia.
Leave it there for a few months. Then, "discover" it, and raise a stink.
Get your lawyer on the case, send threatening letters.
Fun for the whole family. evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.