Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Global Policy on Biographies of Living Persons ?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
MZMcBride
There's currently a discussion at Meta regarding a global BLP policy. Comments, insight, etc. would be appreciated, here or there.
thekohser
Good luck trying to shape the will of a mob "community", while the folks who own the servers sit back, collect paychecks, and let the mob "community" decide.

Really, have fun with that. Looks like you've got Zelinsky weighing in already. He's very reasonable about these matters.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 20th May 2009, 10:56am) *

There's currently a discussion at Meta regarding a global BLP policy. Comments, insight, etc. would be appreciated, here or there.

It's the same old defense of BLP for everyone else, by people who would hate it if they had to defend their own BLPs, all the time, without special help.

Until these people grow some empathy, this discussion is pointless. I am becoming of the opinion that all human societies naturally evolve into 2-tier systems (lords and serfs, officers and enlisted men, Morlocks and Eloi, admins and editors, you name it), and probably nothing can really be done about it, anyway.

Except to say you refuse to waste any more time fighting it. Might as well propose commanding the tides.
EricBarbour
We have been over this a thousand times on WR, Brother McBride.

It's hopeless, and "policies" will not fix it. Virtually every day, one of
your precious little Wiki-monkeys is using a BLP to defame someone,
and usually they remain undetected.

If you wanna talk "policy", talk to JoshuaZ. Good luck.
MZMcBride
For what it's worth, my BLP strategy (in draft format) is here: Wikipedia:WikiProject Living people/Implementation strategy

It may (and probably will) turn out to be pissing in the wind. We'll see.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 20th May 2009, 10:54pm) *

For what it's worth, my BLP strategy (in draft format) is here: Wikipedia:WikiProject Living people/Implementation strategy

My Advice — Face Downwind …

Ja Ja boing.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 20th May 2009, 10:54pm) *

Here's my earnest recommendation from the "Eat Your Own Dogfood" school of thought. Fully unprotect all Wikipedia articles that have anything to do with:
  • Wikipedia itself
  • the Wikimedia Foundation
  • any Board or Staff of the Wikimedia Foundation
  • any companies that employ members of the WMF Board
  • key principals/directors of those companies

These articles may be re-protected when all other aspects of your Implementation Strategy have been adequately fulfilled.

I know this sounds like a WP:POINT sort of thing, but I assure you, it will do more to speed the execution of your plan than any other single procedural change.
Jon Awbrey
I don't understand the dogfood reference. Most dogfood manufacturers don't eat their own dogfood {{citation needed}}. But I can think of some peanut butter manufacturers who would have justly been forced to eat their own peanut butter.

Jon Awbrey
carbuncle
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Thu 21st May 2009, 2:54am) *

Maybe Shankbone can supply you with an appropriate picture for that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.