Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mahalo 2.0 is Wikipedia plus money - CNET News
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

•Mahalo 2.0 is Wikipedia plus money
CNET News, CA
by Rafe Needleman Jason Calacanis, CEO of Mahalo, is modifying his business once again. He's taking a page from Wikipedia and opening up his curated topic pages to user editing. The big difference from Wikipedia is that he's melding this idea with the ...

View the article
dtobias
First Wiki, then Akahele... now Mahalo... is that yet another Hawaiian word? What does it mean?
thekohser
QUOTE(dtobias @ Tue 2nd June 2009, 8:49pm) *

First Wiki, then Akahele... now Mahalo... is that yet another Hawaiian word? What does it mean?

Dan, are you really incapable of looking up the meaning of "mahalo"?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd June 2009, 6:27pm) *

And mahalo to you, too, Greg.
thekohser
503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.

I think Jason should be using some of that venture capital for server racks.

thekohser
Uh-oh. This is really, really bad for Calacanis and Mahalo. I just signed into my Mahalo account a few minutes ago. I conduct a search, and I then look up in the upper-right corner and see...

...that I am signed into someone else's account!

I go to another page...

...and I am signed into yet another person's account!

This problem has been reported in the comment field of at least one of the news stories promoting Mahalo tonight. What a black eye on Mahalo!
thekohser
Search for "Vietnam War" on Mahalo.com, and what do you get?

Error 404 Not Found
Oops, you've surfed into some rough waters.
We could not find the page you requested.
anthony
Is it just me, or is this a thread from over a year ago which just reappeared with today's date?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(anthony @ Wed 3rd June 2009, 2:49pm) *

Is it just me, or is this a thread from over a year ago which just reappeared with today's date?

You mentioned Mahalo a year ago, indeed. A few months ago I tweaked Greg about reviewing for-profit Wiki websites on Akahele WITHOUT mentioning Mahalo.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...ndpost&p=168812
thekohser
But, but, but... this is Mahalo 2.0!
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 3rd June 2009, 6:34pm) *

But, but, but... this is Mahalo 2.0!

Must be like Windows, then. Each version slower than the one preceding.

Wait for it. Mahalo 2010. Mahalo XP. Mahalo Hawaiian Vista (Do you suppose Microsoft has succeeded in killing the use of that word for any product of any kind, forever more?).

Mahalo Mojave....
anthony
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 4th June 2009, 2:28am) *

Hey, that can be the tagline for Akahele!
Milton Roe
QUOTE(anthony @ Thu 4th June 2009, 7:21am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 4th June 2009, 2:28am) *

Hey, that can be the tagline for Akahele!

Yes, very appropriate. And once again, the reprise of my macaronic hula:

Let’s Talk Danger in Hawaiian

Akahele, akahele!
That’s a kind of stinging jelly
Wiki, wiki, ha’alele
Do not let it touch your belly
You will get so sick and swelly
And it really hurt like Hell-y
Like the fires of goddess Pele!

Akahele, ka!

N.B.
Akahele = be careful, cuidado, slow down, watch it!
Wiki = quick
ha’alele = let's get out of here!
ka! = exclamation/emphasis/disapproval

thekohser
Update: Back in July, to test out Mahalo 2.0, I became a page manager of the Czech Republic page.

Since then, only 96 page views, and I've earned a whopping 34 Mahalo cents, which pay out at the rate of 75% to real dollars, but only once you've earned $40 Mahalo dollars. I guess if I ramp up promotion of the page, Jason might be cutting me a check for $30 US dollars just before my funeral.

Note the top earners. There are literally thousands of page managers, but only about 7 are earning anything that would break the poverty level for annual income. Is it worth it? The top dogs are maintaining pages like:
  • Bed Bath and Beyond Coupons
  • FarmVille Cheat Codes
  • How to become a pharmacist

Somebody kill me.
Apathetic
Clearly you underestimate the popularity of Facebook flash games.
Text
Two pseudo-scientists called Grobe and Voltz, with the first series of "experiments" with menthos and coke, earned more than 35 thousand dollars in a year, equally divided with Revver, the video hoster.

More proof that earning a great (not that great actually) quantity of cash using the net is pretty hard. However if you post something stupid, weird or crazy it is possible that if it's spammed to death ("viral video") people will take notice and click on it.
wikademia.org
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd June 2009, 5:27pm) *

i seriously doubt that. happy.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th December 2009, 3:50pm) *

Update: Back in July, to test out Mahalo 2.0, I became a page manager of the Czech Republic page.

Since then, only 96 page views, and I've earned a whopping 34 Mahalo cents, which pay out at the rate of 75% to real dollars, but only once you've earned $40 Mahalo dollars. I guess if I ramp up promotion of the page, Jason might be cutting me a check for $30 US dollars just before my funeral.

Note the top earners. There are literally thousands of page managers, but only about 7 are earning anything that would break the poverty level for annual income. Is it worth it? The top dogs are maintaining pages like:
  • FarmVille Cheat Codes
Somebody kill me.

Another update...

A couple of weeks ago, I received this e-mail from Jason Calacanis:

A message to the Mahalo Community,

Our goal at Mahalo is to build a high-quality content and community destination – one that delivers information our consumers can trust. To do this, we need talented, motivated writers.

For the past year, we have experimented with a writer-compensation method that shared revenue from our pages. While the revenue sharing system seemed entrepreneurial and fair in theory, after careful examination including getting your feedback, we've concluded that it failed in practice.

We heard your feedback about huge variation in writer compensation that was not directly tied to quality, and about the confusing nature of Mahalo dollars. In short, the system created a happy few and a frustrated many.

So, starting on July 1st, we are moving to a more traditional flat-rate payment system, with incentives based on quality and traffic.

Here's how it will work:

1. On July 1st, Mahalo will stop revenue sharing on topic and "how to" pages, and shelve the concept of vertical and page management. Revenue sharing on Mahalo Answers will continue.

2. All Vertical Managers will be offered Guide or Senior Guide roles based on their tenure and performance as Mahalo consultants to date. Guides will receive $1,000 a month for their content and Senior Guides will receive $1,300.

3. Page Managers and Go Team members will be given the ability to apply for one of 50 new Guide positions, paying $1,000 per month.

4. All Guides will be responsible for 25 new pages, 12 hours of updating (i.e. on the Go Team), and 10 questions or answers weekly. You will be able to do this work whenever you like so you can easily schedule it around your other writing obligations!

5. NEW FEATURE: We're moving payments of Guides to – wait for it – weekly! The week after you perform your work you will get your PayPal payment. This was one of the most requested features from our writers and we're thrilled that our new flat-rate system will make this easy to implement.

6. NEW FEATURE: Mahalo Dollars will be removed from page management and creation. You will not have to worry about the conversion ratio anymore! Mahalo Dollars will be limited to Mahalo Answers where folks love them and the fun stuff they can buy with them. You've told us that real writers wanted to be paid in real dollars and we've listened. No more conversions! Everyone will have 31 days to cash out their Mahalo Dollars (cash outs can occur anytime in July – no cash outs as of August 1st).

7. Mahalo Dollars will only be used in the Mahalo Store going forward. No more cashing out for real dollars (gift cards and donations will still be available).

8. NEW FEATURE: A group traffic incentive of $100 each will be shared between Guides for every month that Mahalo breaks the previous month's traffic.

9. NEW FEATURE: A group revenue incentive of $100 each will be shared between Guides for every month that Mahalo breaks the previous month's revenue numbers.

10. NEW FEATURE: A quality incentive will be given to a selection of pages and Guides each month based on our Community Team's judgment.

There are going to be many questions and comments on these changes I'm sure. The small number of folks who had the killer revenue pages are going to be disappointed, and the majority of folks who were not breaking $500 a month are going to be excited.

We understand change is hard, but our intention is to build a system that creates a vibrant, fun and profitable experience for everyone.

I'm sure there will be some issues we have not anticipated, and you can expect us to pivot, as all start-ups must, if something isn't working.

Mike Bracco and I will be discussing these changes in a town hall meeting today, Wednesday, at 11AM Pacific time (2PM eastern). Join us here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mahalo-tutorials

We look forward to your feedback.

All the best,

Jason McCabe Calacanis
Mahalo founder & CEO

PS: If you have any questions, comments or concerns you can always reach me directly at jason at mahalo.com
PPS: We are discussing this issue here on Mahalo Answers: http://jc.is/jasonmessage

Nobody said paid crowdsourcing was ever going to be easy, but I at least admire Jason's perseverance and effort to at least try to address the problem.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 8th July 2010, 7:38am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 15th December 2009, 3:50pm) *

• FarmVille Cheat Codes
Somebody kill me.

Er, this is sort of like complaining that people get rich selling advertising on moronic TV sitcoms, which they do. If the average person had intellectual interests like we'd like them to have, people would get rich selling history-of-philosophy or calculus-tutoring CDs on NOVA Science. Good luck with that.

Did I miss something, or is it not still the case that these high-earner pages continue to be high earners for the owners of Mahalo? What they're really saying is "We realize that those of you who created the high earner pages for US are going to be disappointed (read: "screwed"), but that's life. Some of the rest of you will be happy because you're now going to get $1000 a month to maintain a bunch of articles on the exciting Czech Republic. No more will we reward the proles who are interested in Bed, Bath, and Beyond Coupons. Even though it's very rewarding for us, of course." huh.gif

Let's hear it for idealism. mellow.gif unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.