Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There was nothing about Moqui Cave in Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
......until today. I did the fools a favor, and created a short article.

It is a very well-known tourist attraction in Kanab, which I have personally seen. And I only discovered it had no WP article, after looking at and repairing the hideous mess of an article WP had for the city of Kanab itself. Perhaps someone could explain what "many a big buck has been harvested around Kanab" was doing in there?

(perhaps I should have just left the mess, but it was annoying to read and I had an extra hour. Won't do that again anytime soon, I only post this to point out that you will find screw-ups everywhere on Wikipedia. Try a random article, messes aren't difficult to stumble across. Encyclopedia, blecch.)
Emperor
Jesus man, you could have put that article just about anywhere else except for Wikipedia, and played a small part in promoting alternative encyclopedia-like websites.
emesee
QUOTE(Emperor @ Sat 4th July 2009, 8:37pm) *

Jesus man, you could have put that article just about anywhere else except for Wikipedia, and played a small part in promoting alternative encyclopedia-like websites.

probably just wanted all the money, fame, and glory that comes from posting on the big wiki.. or maybe he did it for the poor starving children in Africa. Is there any of that flowerly language on Encyc? rolleyes.gif smile.gif
EricBarbour
Go ahead, gentlemen.
I give you written permission to copy the text to your own wikis.
thekohser
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 5th July 2009, 5:51am) *

Go ahead, gentlemen.
I give you written permission to copy the text to your own wikis.

Google punishes websites that make heavy use of "duplicate text".
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 5th July 2009, 4:05pm) *

They seem to like Wikipedia just fine.
thekohser
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 5th July 2009, 12:02pm) *

That's cute, but I am being serious. I think the key is "heavy use" as a percentage of the site's complete content.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 5th July 2009, 5:14pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 5th July 2009, 12:02pm) *

That's cute, but I am being serious. I think the key is "heavy use" as a percentage of the site's complete content.

I am as well. Wikipedia is possibly the most mirrored site on the web (I can't think of another that's as heavily copied), but it's not at all unusual to see an organization's own site as the first hit, Wikipedia as the second, and a Wikipedia copy (usually answers.com) as the third.
Adambro
QUOTE(Emperor @ Sun 5th July 2009, 4:37am) *

No point if he wants his content to actually be read and benefit more than a few misguided and over optimistic individuals who set up their own alternatives to Wikipedia. The reality they seem unable to face is that anything which is big will have some skeletons lurking in the closet and Wikipedia being huge has a great deal. For a project like this to be successful it needs a larger number of contributors. Bring together a larger number of people in any situation and you're bound to have the occasional problem. These "forkers" would be better using their time and energy trying to solve the problems with Wikipedia they seem pleased to highlight and if their suggestions don't resolve the issue, simply find some quiet corner of Wikipedia where they can put their knowledge to good use without having to care about any of the drama. Trying to compete with Wikipedia is a waste of time.
Kato
QUOTE(Adambro @ Tue 14th July 2009, 12:48am) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Sun 5th July 2009, 4:37am) *

No point if he wants his content to actually be read and benefit more than a few misguided and over optimistic individuals who set up their own alternatives to Wikipedia. The reality they seem unable to face is that anything which is big will have some skeletons lurking in the closet and Wikipedia being huge has a great deal. For a project like this to be successful it needs a larger number of contributors. Bring together a larger number of people in any situation and you're bound to have the occasional problem. These "forkers" would be better using their time and energy trying to solve the problems with Wikipedia they seem pleased to highlight and if their suggestions don't resolve the issue, simply find some quiet corner of Wikipedia where they can put their knowledge to good use without having to care about any of the drama. Trying to compete with Wikipedia is a waste of time.

Are you Jimbo Wales?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 4th July 2009, 3:28pm) *

......until today. I did the fools a favor, and created a short article.

It is a very well-known tourist attraction in Kanab, which I have personally seen. And I only discovered it had no WP article, after looking at and repairing the hideous mess of an article WP had for the city of Kanab itself. Perhaps someone could explain what "many a big buck has been harvested around Kanab" was doing in there?

(perhaps I should have just left the mess, but it was annoying to read and I had an extra hour. Won't do that again anytime soon, I only post this to point out that you will find screw-ups everywhere on Wikipedia. Try a random article, messes aren't difficult to stumble across. Encyclopedia, blecch.)

Umm, the text you removed actually could have been cited:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053080...tsmen-town.html

Not that mule deer hunting gets my heart pounding any more these days (I usually end up feeling sorry for the dang things, even though they are wily). But I continue, like Edward Abbey was, to be an avid inspector of desert water holes in that area.

Kanab. Yes, I also have been there (and know that the locals say "kuh-NAB"-- something you won't find in the WP article). One of those out-of-the-way Utah places that time seems to have forgot, like Tropic and Hurricane. And Goshen and Parowan and Panguitch...

Milton (formerly of the Wild Bunch)
taiwopanfob
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 14th July 2009, 12:27am) *
Not that mule deer hunting gets my heart pounding any more these days (I usually end up feeling sorry for the dang things, even though they are wily).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqShjz0kEM
Milton Roe
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Mon 13th July 2009, 7:14pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 14th July 2009, 12:27am) *
Not that mule deer hunting gets my heart pounding any more these days (I usually end up feeling sorry for the dang things, even though they are wily).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqShjz0kEM

Yep, that's just about the size of it. laugh.gif

The food, the boob, the beer, the cigs. Nice job. I was waiting for the heart attack.

Every detail was perfect. Even the weapon: a lever-action .30-.30 with a scope, is an intrinsically funny rifle. This had "clown" all the way through it. smile.gif

And now yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=Rooyt3ptNco

thekohser
QUOTE(Adambro @ Mon 13th July 2009, 7:48pm) *

For a project like this to be successful it needs a larger number of contributors. Bring together a larger number of people in any situation and you're bound to have the occasional problem. These "forkers" would be better using their time and energy trying to solve the problems with Wikipedia they seem pleased to highlight and if their suggestions don't resolve the issue, simply find some quiet corner of Wikipedia where they can put their knowledge to good use without having to care about any of the drama. Trying to compete with Wikipedia is a waste of time.

I see that you don't live by what you preach.
KD Tries Again
I had forgotten how inadvertently funny much of Wikiversity is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.