Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimmy Wales : Hallo Halloween 2001
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
thekohser
This has got to be one of Jimbo's most-unheeded bits of advice:

The Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. We should keep meta-discussion here to a minimum -- they will be carried out more efficiently on the mailing list. Perhaps we should make the mailing list more prominent?

Somey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th September 2009, 9:50am) *

The Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. We should keep meta-discussion here to a minimum -- they will be carried out more efficiently on the mailing list. Perhaps we should make the mailing list more prominent?

When you start with a fundamentally incorrect premiss (i.e., "Wikipedia is an encyclopedia") you're going to end up with mistaken conclusions. Besides, the mailing list only exists for people who need more characters-per-line than are typically allowed in an IRC session.

Then again, now that Twitter exists, I don't see the point of continuing with either mailing lists or talk pages.
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th September 2009, 3:50pm) *

It is interesting when he said that. I should think it was unheeded because it was stupid; the mailing lists (I should imagine, I've not been on one) are exclusive, which means if you are not on it then your opinion or ideas are not aired no matter how good they are - and that would be the majority of the content providers. It is real fishtank mentality. It indicates that the project really was set up to allow an elite to harvest the efforts of anonymous editors. Whatever limitations it has now, it at least has a veneer of accountability to all those whose article writing has made it what it is (for better or for worse).
Malleus
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 12th September 2009, 8:45pm) *

It is interesting when he said that. I should think it was unheeded because it was stupid; the mailing lists (I should imagine, I've not been on one) are exclusive, which means if you are not on it then your opinion or ideas are not aired no matter how good they are - and that would be the majority of the content providers. It is real fishtank mentality. It indicates that the project really was set up to allow an elite to harvest the efforts of anonymous editors. Whatever limitations it has now, it at least has a veneer of accountability to all those whose article writing has made it what it is (for better or for worse).

Jimbo Wales is a misguided fool. What else is there to say?
Deodand
QUOTE(Malleus @ Sat 12th September 2009, 8:51pm) *

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 12th September 2009, 8:45pm) *

Jimbo Wales is a misguided fool. What else is there to say?

"please poke it with sticks" works quite well as an addendum, I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.