Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soviet-run peace movements in the West
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
FreiheitBaguette
This article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet-run_pe...nts_in_the_West

is a completely obvious attempt at pro-war, anti-Soviet propaganda, which tries to convince the reader that all of the anti-war and anti-nuclear movements in the United States were created and funded by the KGB. It's quite ridiculous when one thinks about it, it also has "See also" links to "Hippie movement", "Useful idiot", and "Communist propaganda". Aside from the fact that the Soviet Union was not, as it claimed, "Communist", this is obvious to imply that hippies were created, indoctrinated, or somehow "funded" by Russian spy agencies.

This is an article that pushes a fringe theory, and also violates WP:SYN (which is annoying Wikipedia alphabet soup jumble, but it's also a Wikipedia rule). It uses various sources to come to the conclusion that all peace movements in the United States from about 1960-1985 were front organizations for the KGB. On Wikipedia, this is known as "synthesis" and is against the rules. The article was created by User:Piotrus, who seems to support the theory that most peace movements and activist organizations were funded by the KGB. Marshall64, upon closer inspection, seems to dispute this, but Piotrus ends up getting his way.

Edit: Also, I see the user "Anarchangel" pointed this out, both on the talk page, and through edit summaries. After much discussion over more than 3 months, the article still remains horrible.

Edit 2: I made this post not looking at the talk page comments. Now I see that Marshall64 and Anarchangel disagree with Piotrus, while Password Username favors Piotrus. This whole Russian dispute area of Wikipedia is full of ethnic nationalists promoting their own point of view, and along with the Balkans, one of the most messed-up areas of the site.

No matter who is involved, obviously one of them is protecting this article to read like an anti-Soviet (and at the same time, anti-communist, pro-war, and pro-USA) propaganda piece. I know that the Soviet Union was not even close to actual communism, and this article is against both. This is not odd, however, for uninformed, anti-Russian people with ethnic agendas.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(FreiheitBaguette @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 2:44pm) *

WP:SYN (which is annoying Wikipedia alphabet soup jumble, but it's also a Wikipedia rule).

Well almost...it like all the others in the soup jumble are actually tokens representing a rule used in simulated virtual discussion about "building an encyclopedia." This allows avatars to seem to engage in serious intellectual activity. Behind the avatars (be they anons, pseudonyms, or "real name accounts", it makes no difference) are people who may or may not be capable of engaging in the real activity. It's like a special sword or dagger in a video game. The only thing that is not virtualized is the real life consequences for "encyclopedia" victims. Here they would include anyone who ever opposed war or imperialism in the relevant period.

Besides when I was active in CISPES in the 80's our skinflint Soviet masters wouldn't even spring for a copy machine.
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(FreiheitBaguette @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 1:44pm) *

This article:

is a completely obvious attempt at pro-war, anti-Soviet propaganda, which tries to convince the reader that all of the anti-war and anti-nuclear movements in the United States were created and funded by the KGB.
No, it doesn't -- at least not the "created" part. I think that it is quite plausible that the Soviets were spending money like a drunken sailor, trying to influence and steer these organizations in whatever way they could. I doubt that any of them were actually created, or subsequently dominated, by the Soviets, but I'm sure the Soviets gave it their best shot. By the same token, I am certain that the US was doing precisely the same thing in the other direction. And, I am certain that private organizations, those that have the means to do so, are similarly trying to manipulate popular movements to their advantage (just as they attempt to manipulate Wikipedia.) It is no secret, for example, that the Orange Revolution (T-H-L-K-D) in Ukraine, and the Rose Revolution (T-H-L-K-D) in Georgia, were both owned and operated by George Soros (T-H-L-K-D).
FreiheitBaguette
Excuse me, but in addition to the title containing the word "Soviet-run", what do the following quotes (from the article) imply?

Oleg Kalugin, a former KGB general, said that the KGB ran "run all sorts of congresses, peace congresses, youth congresses, festivals, women's movements, trade union movements, campaigns against U.S. missiles in Europe, campaigns against neutron weapons" and that "all sorts of forgeries and faked material - [were] targeted at politicians, the academic community, at [the] public at large."

Soviet foreign peace propaganda was led by the World Peace Council (WPC), an organization said to have received $63 million in Soviet funding.

Non-communist peace movements without overt ties to the USSR were "virtually controlled" by it and most of their supporters - so-called "useful idiots" - were unwitting instruments of Soviet propaganda.

Note: The quote "virtually controlled" came from a book by Richard Staar, but its usage in this article means that whoever quoted him agrees with him that these movements were "virtually controlled" by the USSR.

Milton Roe
QUOTE(FreiheitBaguette @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 2:36pm) *

Excuse me, but in addition to the title containing the word "Soviet-run", what do the following quotes (from the article) imply?

Oleg Kalugin, a former KGB general, said that the KGB ran "run all sorts of congresses, peace congresses, youth congresses, festivals, women's movements, trade union movements, campaigns against U.S. missiles in Europe, campaigns against neutron weapons" and that "all sorts of forgeries and faked material - [were] targeted at politicians, the academic community, at [the] public at large."

Soviet foreign peace propaganda was led by the World Peace Council (WPC), an organization said to have received $63 million in Soviet funding.

Non-communist peace movements without overt ties to the USSR were "virtually controlled" by it and most of their supporters - so-called "useful idiots" - were unwitting instruments of Soviet propaganda.

Note: The quote "virtually controlled" came from a book by Richard Staar, but its usage in this article means that whoever quoted him agrees with him that these movements were "virtually controlled" by the USSR.

Yeah. In wikispeak they were all meatpuppets, WP:MEAT, quacking like ducks, and should THEREFORE be considered to be essentially the same people, for all intents and purposes, particularly political ones.

Clear now? biggrin.gif tongue.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(FreiheitBaguette @ Wed 23rd September 2009, 4:44pm) *

This article:

is a completely obvious attempt at pro-war, anti-Soviet propaganda, which tries to convince the reader that all of the anti-war and anti-nuclear movements in the United States were created and funded by the KGB. It's quite ridiculous when one thinks about it, it also has "See also" links to "Hippie movement", "Useful idiot", and "Communist propaganda". Aside from the fact that the Soviet Union was not, as it claimed, "Communist", this is obvious to imply that hippies were created, indoctrinated, or somehow "funded" by Russian spy agencies.

There is a small but very loud and extremely aggressive Polish mafia (for lack of a better word) that has been doing a bang-up job of rewriting Polish history on Wikipedia -- particularly in regard to World War II and the Holocaust and in making the Russians look awful. You will recognize the same names over and over in these efforts -- Arbcom is probably popping aspirin now thanks to these characters in that off-Wiki mailing list brouhaha. The mania that these guys bring to their Wikipedia escapades is astonishing -- it would be very funny if it wasn't such a waste of everyone's time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.