Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: List of chics
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
carbuncle
I like a good list as much as the next person. But then there's things like [[List of chics]], which make me question my choices in life. While I'm sure this list is a boon to freelance writers tasked with whipping up some nebulous style piece, it also contains such gems as:
Malone chic

"Malone chic" is a term used to describe black people who dress up as cowboys such as Karl Malone

Somey
I suppose it's a good example of pop-culture-creep, general trivialization, and to some extent commercialization (some of the sections are little more than advertisements). But I don't suppose it's doing any actual harm... unsure.gif

And just to mention a little pet peeve, I personally don't like to see Siouxsie and the Banshees too closely associated with the modern "goth" genre, because musically they have very little to do with it. The first true goth act that had real commercial success was probably Bauhaus - S&tB are only thrown in with that genre because of the clothes and makeup Siouxsie was wearing.
Ayrton
Basically, if anyone has ever used the word "chic" after a noun, it can go in this article. Seriously, it's not even limited to art, music, or fashion. There are quotes from TV shows:

An ironic coinage by the loafer Onslow (played by Geoffrey Hughes) in a 1995 episode of the BBC TV comedy series, Keeping Up Appearances, created by Roy Clarke: "maximum chic for me is more your laid back slobby look".[20]

and completely unsourced neologisms:

To adopt the dress, mannerisms and, especially, facial hair of American Civil War officers. Often adopted by historical re-enactors.

It wouldn't be so bad if they at least bothered to define what is supposed to go in the article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.