Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High five (low brow)
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
Speaking of pop-culture creep and trivialization......

ever taken a look at the high five article?
"Break the pickle, tickle-tickle" my ass.

And this photo, used only in that article, has to be one of the dumbest photos
you'll find on the Wikimedia servers. So I nominate it for that honor. blink.gif
thekohser
Eric, we need to get together and start constructing similar photo montage efforts to help explain cultural phenomena and axioms. We could start with various corporate words and phrases and act them out: "throw under a bus", "plain vanilla", and "herding cats".

Also, it appears our high-five photographer (B. Gubitz) also paid homage to perhaps his father (Jay Gubitz) with creation of a Wikipedia biography orphan.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 5th October 2009, 8:56am) *

you'll find on the Wikimedia servers. So I nominate it for that honor. blink.gif

laugh.gif Somebody will convert these into an animated .gif and use it as their WR avatar, mark my words.
LaraLove
Air five

An air five, sometimes called a "Wi-Five", is a variation of the normal high five; however, the hands of the participants never physically touch. This is commonly implemented if the participants are too far apart in proximity to engage in the typical high five. The participants may simply pretend to high five, or may make a mouth-noise to emulate the sound, use voices, or even slap the bottom of their forearms simultaneously, to produce a slapping sound similar to a physical high five.

Hahaha. I loled. I wanna see cites for this.

Anyway, at least the chick in the too slow pics is cute.
Tarc
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 5th October 2009, 11:20am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 5th October 2009, 8:56am) *

laugh.gif Somebody will convert these into an animated .gif and use it as their WR avatar, mark my words.

My donation to the esteemed WR,

Apathetic
Wow, she's really upset about being too slow.

She was also waay too enthusiastic at the initial high fiving. She really set herself up for this disappointment.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 5th October 2009, 9:03am) *

Air five

An air five, sometimes called a "Wi-Five", is a variation of the normal high five; however, the hands of the participants never physically touch. This is commonly implemented if the participants are too far apart in proximity to engage in the typical high five. The participants may simply pretend to high five, or may make a mouth-noise to emulate the sound, use voices, or even slap the bottom of their forearms simultaneously, to produce a slapping sound similar to a physical high five.

By analogy with the long-ago named "air kiss." Touching cheeks and making a kissing sound, for people (like Russian diplomats) that you don't really want to actually make lip/cheek contact with. Popular especially in the U.S., where people (men especially) have a little more sense of personal space than your average continental European does.

Alas, Russian diplomats and General Secretaries are rarely fooled. But elderly society mavens sometimes figure it's part of the game.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Tarc @ Mon 5th October 2009, 12:48pm) *

My donation to the esteemed WR,

Who's the babe? She looks like she needs a new playmate. boing.gif
Lar
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 5th October 2009, 3:32pm) *

Who's the babe? She looks like she needs a new playmate. boing.gif

You appear not to be alone in your assessment: User_talk:Bgubitz#High_five!

However, be careful. Didn't Jessica Rabbit get in trouble for playing pattycake?
Random832
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Mon 5th October 2009, 5:17pm) *
Wow, she's really upset about being too slow.

She was also waay too enthusiastic at the initial high fiving. She really set herself up for this disappointment.

Relevant link.

Or did you think this was candid camera?
EricBarbour
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 5th October 2009, 7:23am) *

Eric, we need to get together and start constructing similar photo montage efforts to help explain cultural phenomena and axioms.

Wish I had the time. There's plenty of crap on WP servers for that purpose, should anyone wish to compile a crap list.

Also, it appears our high-five photographer (B. Gubitz) also paid homage to perhaps his father (Jay Gubitz) with creation of a Wikipedia biography orphan.

Knew you'd notice that......it's been tagged for COI for more than a YEAR.

By analogy with the long-ago named "air kiss." Touching cheeks and making a kissing sound, for people (like Russian diplomats) that you don't really want to actually make lip/cheek contact with. Popular especially in the U.S., where people (men especially) have a little more sense of personal space than your average continental European does.

And at the risk of repetition, citation please......
carbuncle
Omitted from the series, the very high five:
Apathetic
Wow! Are they using a trampoline or something?
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 6th October 2009, 9:22am) *

I didn't know Curly from the Three Stooges had a son. N'yuk! N'yuk! N'yuk! laugh.gif
carbuncle
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 6th October 2009, 1:46pm) *

I didn't know Curly from the Three Stooges had a son. N'yuk! N'yuk! N'yuk! laugh.gif

That's [[User:Bgubitz]] himself.

See the woman on the right hand side of this picture? That's [[Molly Jenson]]. Who created that article? Bgubitz, who then went on to add Molly Jenson references to a bunch of other articles. Then he made the aforementioned article about his dad and added that to bunch of other articles.

Then came the fabulous high five picture series. But Bgubitz thought that Wikipedia just didn't have enough about him personally, so he added something to Rubik's Cube which mentioned his friend Tim O'Nan (who you will recognize from the high five series) and used a reference which says: "The record of 75 successful puzzlers was tied by Ben Gubitz, 27, of Costa Mesa. Seconds later, Tim O'Nan, 34, also of Costa Mesa, became the 76th solver, breaking the known record." Perhaps Ben is compensating because he is self-conscious about of the size of his cube?

I'm not trying to pick on Ben, but once I looked at his contributions it became apparent that he views Wikipedia as just another website that he can exploit for micro-fame, which I would characterise, not insultingly, as a typical Generation Y attitude.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 6th October 2009, 1:22pm) *

I thought for sure this was photoshopped by some WR member, but lol and behold it is one of Mr. Gubitz' uploads on commons.

These folks do look very high but I only see two of them.
Apathetic
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Tue 6th October 2009, 10:37am) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 6th October 2009, 1:22pm) *

I thought for sure this was photoshopped by some WR member, but lol and behold it is one of Mr. Gubitz' uploads on commons.

These folks do look very high but I only see two of them.

There is also the "Theoretical five", which I wasn't really able to decipher, except to guess that they only speculate that they should high-five but never do.
thekohser
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 6th October 2009, 10:23am) *

...once I looked at his contributions it became apparent that he views Wikipedia as just another website that he can exploit for micro-fame, which I would characterise, not insultingly, as a typical Generation Y attitude.

But, Jimbo is Generation X.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 6th October 2009, 10:23am) *

See the woman on the right hand side of this picture? That's [[Molly Jenson]].

Hello, Molly! Well, hello, Molly! It's so nice...

Egad, even I am embarrassed by that pun! angry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.