Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beef O'Brady's
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
Let's imagine a humble stub of an article about a restaurant franchise, created in November 2007.

Add the following:
  • Many wonders of Mediawiki software and tools
  • Nearly two years of collaborative community editing
  • Over 7,000 page views
  • 791 mentions in mainstream news
  • 45 individual edits to the article
  • The untold effects of the "founder's" call for better quality articles
...and what do you get?

Not a whole lot, that I can see.

BEFORE:
Beef O'Brady's Family Sports Pubs is a Florida-based restaurant franchise established in 1985 by Jim Mellody. The original Beef O'Brady's restaurant is in Tampa's bedroom community, Brandon, FL, and the home office is near downtown Tampa. Franchisees spread throughout the Southern and Midwestern United States, reaching as far northwest as Minnesota, as far southwest as Texas, and as far north as Maryland.

External links

Beef O' Bradys Official Website

Categories: Restaurants in the United States | Franchises

AFTER:
Beef O'Brady's Family Sports Pubs is a family-friendly restaurant franchise established in 1985 by Jim Mellody in Brandon, Florida. As of July 2009, the franchise has 260 locations in 23 states, mostly in the Southern and Midwestern United States.
[edit] External links

* Beef O' Bradys Official Website

This US-based restaurant or restaurant chain article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Categories: Retail companies established in 1985 | Regional restaurant chains in the United States | Franchises | Restaurants in Florida | North American restaurant stubs
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 12th October 2009, 11:46am) *

Let's imagine a humble stub of an article about a restaurant franchise, created in November 2007.

Add the following:
  • Over 7,000 page views
...and what do you get?

BEFORE:
Beef O'Brady's Family Sports Pubs is a Florida-based restaurant franchise established in 1985 by Jim Mellody. The original Beef O'Brady's restaurant is in Tampa's bedroom community, Brandon, FL, and the home office is near downtown Tampa. Franchisees spread throughout the Southern and Midwestern United States, reaching as far northwest as Minnesota, as far southwest as Texas, and as far north as Maryland.

External links

AFTER:
Beef O'Brady's Family Sports Pubs is a family-friendly restaurant franchise established in 1985 by Jim Mellody in Brandon, Florida. As of July 2009, the franchise has 260 locations in 23 states, mostly in the Southern and Midwestern United States.
[edit] External links

This US-based restaurant or restaurant chain article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Categories: Retail companies established in 1985 | Regional restaurant chains in the United States | Franchises | Restaurants in Florida | North American restaurant stubs

Obviously the basic problem is that Jimbo Wales didn't eat there, followed by some noob RfD'ing the thing per WP:NOTATRAVELGUIDE. Leading to epic drahmas to show that the Sole Flounder would never create a stupid stub like Mzoli's, followed by massive non-corporate research to flesh out the topic.

It's such stuff that made Jimbo thing that Wikia-search could actually work. He confused personal ass-kissing by lackies with the way normally things work in the world for everybody else.

One's experiences color one's point of view. biggrin.gif
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 12th October 2009, 7:46pm) *

Add the following:
  • Over 7,000 page views
...and what do you get?

BEFORE:

External links

AFTER:
[edit] External links

Huh! Take a crawl through these. I have gone through the non date ones up to the letter g - so read on from "i" onwards. I reckon the vast majority have the same content as was posted at their creation, plus bot and gnome edits. Usually they are from 2007, and no one has bothered since.
thekohser
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Tue 13th October 2009, 2:58pm) *

Huh! Take a crawl through these. I have gone through the non date ones up to the letter g - so read on from "i" onwards. I reckon the vast majority have the same content as was posted at their creation, plus bot and gnome edits. Usually they are from 2007, and no one has bothered since.

That sounds like "work". Not for me!

Besides, it took me until I got to "Icelandic proverbs" before I even recognized what one of those "i" words could be, and until "Postwar reconstruction" before I found one that might get even close to the traffic of Beef O'Brady's.

I will concur that the 9 edits to Postwar reconstruction have been even less fruitful than the Beef O'Brady's edits, and over a longer span of time and more page views.

Indeed, the article about Postwar reconstruction is a disgrace, and I'd like to invite anyone to come join me on Wikipedia Review to create a copyrighted, for-profit article about that topic, and we can donate the AdSense revenues to the Red Cross or something. I'd have to set up a unique AdSense tag. Who's with me?!?!
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 13th October 2009, 3:55pm) *

Indeed, the article about Postwar reconstruction is a disgrace, and I'd like to invite anyone to come join me on Wikipedia Review to create a copyrighted, for-profit article about that topic, and we can donate the AdSense revenues to the Red Cross or something. I'd have to set up a unique AdSense tag. Who's with me?!?!

Yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

(Having a Howard Dean moment there?) tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.