Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Girl kisses girl on TV - Keep/Delete?
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
A Horse With No Name
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...an_kiss_episode

So, does an encyclopedia need an article about TV shows where women engage in some Sapphic smooching?

Horsey likes this AfD! boing.gif
grievous
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 12th November 2009, 2:33pm) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...an_kiss_episode

So, does an encyclopedia need an article about TV shows where women engage in some Sapphic smooching?

Horsey likes this AfD! boing.gif

An example of Wikipedia at its best.
Guido den Broeder
And they missed Xena and Gabrielle. tongue.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Thu 12th November 2009, 3:23pm) *

Ah, but they didn't miss Xeno! http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=325502646 You go, little fuzzy head! smile.gif

Oh, where are the gals on "Queer as Folk," too? unsure.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 12th November 2009, 10:35pm) *

QUOTE(Guido den Broeder @ Thu 12th November 2009, 3:23pm) *

Ah, but they didn't miss Xeno! http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=325502646 You go, little fuzzy head! smile.gif

Oh, where are the gals on "Queer as Folk," too? unsure.gif

Jeez, if there was a Wikipedia article for every TV program on the Franco-German network ARTE that featured two gals (or two guys) kissing, there wouldn't be room for anything else!

The joke here is that when you see a mixed couple on Arte making out, you're supposed to call the station and complain....
Brutus
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Fri 13th November 2009, 8:43am) *

Jeez, if there was a Wikipedia article for every TV program on the Franco-German network ARTE that featured two gals (or two guys) kissing, there wouldn't be room for anything else!

The joke here is that when you see a mixed couple on Arte making out, you're supposed to call the station and complain....

And as user:Schrandit said on the AFD page "Ought we have a list of episodes in which characters got cancer? How about a list in which a character bought a car?"

A valid point, I don't know why they have these "list" articles, what's next? a list of erect male penises shown on TV?
Kelly Martin
The problem with list articles like these is that they're going about it the wrong way. There ought to be a way for them to put a "tag" on the article about the episode that would then allow the list to be created automatically by the software. However, nobody has ever gotten around to writing that interface.

Perhaps they should create [[Category:Episodes of television shows featuring a lesbian kiss]] instead. smile.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 15th November 2009, 12:56pm) *

The problem with list articles like these is that they're going about it the wrong way. There ought to be a way for them to put a "tag" on the article about the episode that would then allow the list to be created automatically by the software. However, nobody has ever gotten around to writing that interface.

Perhaps they should create [[Category:Episodes of television shows featuring a lesbian kiss]] instead. smile.gif

You mean something kind of like the semantic attribute, Kelly?

The interface it written, but the Wikipedians haven't deployed it because they think it would be "too hard" for their editors to use.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 15th November 2009, 12:44pm) *
The interface it written, but the Wikipedians haven't deployed it because they think it would be "too hard" for their editors to use.
Can't have anything that might reduce participation.
A Horse With No Name
Probably the best quote in the bunch:

"No real encyclopedia, and no serious scholarly resource, would harbor this kind of salacious trivia. The fact that people are showing up to !vote "keep" only proves that this "community" doesn't mean to build an encyclopedia, but something else, and that a result based in "consensus" is completely different from one based upon policy and its original intent. We will not see "Lesbian kiss episode" or anything like it in Britannica anytime soon." -- 67.160.100.233 (talk)

dtobias
I kissed a horse and I liked it! tongue.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 15th November 2009, 9:30pm) *

Nooooooo comment! unsure.gif
The Wales Hunter
QUOTE(Brutus @ Sun 15th November 2009, 11:28am) *

A valid point, I don't know why they have these "list" articles, what's next? a list of erect male penises shown on TV?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mains...sexual_activity

laugh.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 15th November 2009, 7:40pm) *

Why not? Aren't you the hobby horse I'm always hearing about?

Or maybe the high horse that people get up on?

I'd use the horse of a different color, but MGM beat me to it in 1939.
everyking
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 15th November 2009, 11:20pm) *

Probably the best quote in the bunch:

"No real encyclopedia, and no serious scholarly resource, would harbor this kind of salacious trivia. The fact that people are showing up to !vote "keep" only proves that this "community" doesn't mean to build an encyclopedia, but something else, and that a result based in "consensus" is completely different from one based upon policy and its original intent. We will not see "Lesbian kiss episode" or anything like it in Britannica anytime soon." -- 67.160.100.233 (talk)

Of course not. Wikipedia does not and should not try to be an encyclopedia based strictly on the Britannica model--that's an outmoded model. Can you still call it a Bible if you print it in a shop instead of writing it out by hand in a monastery?
dtobias
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 16th November 2009, 3:10pm) *

Hopefully not the dead horse I keep beating.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 16th November 2009, 6:22pm) *

Are you characters quite finished? hrmph.gif

Well, the AfD is finished -- Wikipedia keeps its lady liplock article for another go-round. boing.gif
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 20th November 2009, 5:41pm) *

It won't be complete till somebody says "fuck you and the horse you rode in on". dry.gif
Luís Henrique
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 20th November 2009, 3:59pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 20th November 2009, 5:41pm) *

It won't be complete till somebody says "fuck you and the horse you rode in on". dry.gif

Please don't cite Horace McCoy now...

Luís Henrique
dogbiscuit
It must be notable: the BBC has a quiz on this.
Selina
it's a pretty well known thing I've read articles on it before, American media in particular is happy to get money by freakshow-type showing off of anything that might be construed as not heterosexual but the minute anyone suggests treating a relationship like normal human beings and not some stunt it's all suddenly quiet.
John Limey
I don't see what all the fuss is about. One of the main things I like about Wikipedia is the presence of articles like this. Wikipedia is never going to produce the world's best piece on Shakespeare or the history of the United States or any other topic that more-qualified people spend their lives studying and writing about. It can, however, produce the best list of Lesbian kiss scenes or People who have the same name as their grandfather or any other thing that doesn't attract mainstream attention. It's not a problem that these articles aren't covered by conventional encyclopedias, it's a strength. Like they say, find a niche and fill it. The niche for information on Shakespeare is already filled, so why not fill the niche for lesbian kisses on TV? Wikipedia is ideally suited for such endeavors and should embrace that fact.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Luís Henrique @ Wed 25th November 2009, 7:20pm) *

Please don't cite Horace McCoy now...

Luís Henrique

Aha, too late.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.