Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poynter Interviews Jimmy Wales
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
Moulton
Jimmy Wales: AP's 'Landing Pages' a Good, if Late, Idea

Jimmy Wales, the co-founder of Wikipedia, is not really in the news business. Yet, as the Associated Press noted in an internal document earlier this year, the two organizations do compete for readers when news breaks.

The AP focused intently on Wikipedia in a document describing its "Protect, Point, Pay" digital strategy, noting, "Its pages are designed to catch traffic, provide key information and then send users on their way to deeper engagement on the subjects they're interested in."

Steve Myers of the Poynter Institute interviews Jimmy Wales about the AP's analysis of Wikipedia as a competing news source.
thekohser
Wow, three comments thus far on that story, and all critical of Jimmy Wales.

Poynter must have an intelligent audience.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 16th November 2009, 7:34pm) *

Wow, three comments thus far on that story, and all critical of Jimmy Wales.

One of which is you.......

Still, Poynter is more likely to be critical of Jimbo, simply because it's a site for actual,
working medial professionals. Who get paid for it, even. Plus academics who deal with
writing and mass media.

There's supposedly considerable pent-up hatred for WP in that crowd. I once talked to a local
community-college instructor who didn't see the need to criticize WP, as he expected it
"to fail any day now". Yet he had no trouble expressing his disgust with it, and the way it is
run. His specialty is radio broadcasting, and he found a lot of badly-written articles on WP
on the subject. He tried to edit them, and found that whatever he wrote (regardless of how
well-sourced or verifiable it was) was reverted very quickly by "persons unknown".

I keep hearing comments like that. Odd, that they don't have any impact. "Journalists" are
usually still fawning over Jimbo, even though his monster might put them out of work....
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 17th November 2009, 12:03am) *

"Journalists" are usually still fawning over Jimbo, even though his monster might put them out of work …

Jimbo Wales = Wiki-Palin

Jon yecch.gif
Moulton
According to my colleagues in academia who teach in the School of Journalism, there is widespread contempt of Wikipedia among media professionals.
Mike R
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 17th November 2009, 9:14am) *

According to my colleagues in academia who teach in the School of Journalism, there is widespread contempt of Wikipedia among media professionals.

For something they despise, they sure do rely on it a lot.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Mike R @ Tue 17th November 2009, 9:25am) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 17th November 2009, 9:14am) *

For something they despise, they sure do rely on it a lot.

And, of course, vice versa.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.