Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Five weird facts
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
thekohser
This breezy article says:

Being on Wikimedia staff isn't a cushy job. The Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit organisation which runs only has 25 staff. The organisation recently moved offices, but only after a visit by the auditors eliminated conference room space and meant that staff members had to hold crucial meetings in their cars. At that point, Wales decided a move was justified.

What is meant by this "after a visit by the auditors eliminated conference room space"?

Does that mean the auditing firm took up shop for a couple of days in the WMF conference room on Stillman Street, thus pushing staffers out to their cars when they wanted to talk privately about something? And that's what prompted them to look for more space?

Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 24th November 2009, 9:30am) *
Does that mean the auditing firm took up shop for a couple of days in the WMF conference room on Stillman Street, thus pushing staffers out to their cars when they wanted to talk privately about something?
That would be my guess, though I suspect that it would have been well over a couple of days. I have experience with two different (Canadian) non-profits and auditors; for the non-profit with an annual budget of ~$500K, the auditors moved in for three to five days per year. For the one with an annual budget of ~$9M, it was a matter of several weeks.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's unreasonable for a 25 employee organization to want enough meeting space that the audit doesn't wipe it out completely.
carbuncle
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 24th November 2009, 12:30pm) *

Being on Wikimedia staff isn't a cushy job. The Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit organisation which runs only has 25 staff. The organisation recently moved offices, but only after a visit by the auditors eliminated conference room space and meant that staff members had to hold crucial meetings in their cars. At that point, Wales decided a move was justified.

What is meant by this "after a visit by the auditors eliminated conference room space"?

Does that mean the auditing firm took up shop for a couple of days in the WMF conference room on Stillman Street, thus pushing staffers out to their cars when they wanted to talk privately about something? And that's what prompted them to look for more space?

25 staff? That's not right. I think the number is off by about 10 and will be more added, at least temporarily, according to the latest plan.
anthony
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 24th November 2009, 12:30pm) *

I don't know, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of credibility in that source, considering that its source was Jimmy Wales. Vaguely based on the truth, I'm sure...like a made for TV movie.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Tue 24th November 2009, 5:57am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 24th November 2009, 9:30am) *
Does that mean the auditing firm took up shop for a couple of days in the WMF conference room on Stillman Street, thus pushing staffers out to their cars when they wanted to talk privately about something?
That would be my guess, though I suspect that it would have been well over a couple of days. I have experience with two different (Canadian) non-profits and auditors; for the non-profit with an annual budget of ~$500K, the auditors moved in for three to five days per year. For the one with an annual budget of ~$9M, it was a matter of several weeks.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's unreasonable for a 25 employee organization to want enough meeting space that the audit doesn't wipe it out completely.

To say the least. Very, very few meetings must be "plenary" (what, are they all boardmembers?), and even those can be partly teleconferenced, if only teleconferenced from the offices of people in the same building (pretending they're home or out of town), if your main meeting room is out of order. Idiots. Meeting in cars sounds like they were selling cocaine at these meetings. And what cars did they find that were larger than somebody's office, anyway??

But of course, if you WANT to do something, one reason is as good as another.
thekohser
Also, who cares that Jimbo "decided a move was justified"? He's just one single board member.

I guess it's significant, though, in that the move meant the end of the incoming rent checks.
A Horse With No Name

Cars? Try getting a parking spot in San Francisco! ermm.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 24th November 2009, 10:51am) *

Cars? Try getting a parking spot in San Francisco! ermm.gif

No problem. All that extra money in Gardner's salary is to cover the expense of private garage parking space (this is only partly a joke; it TAKES a hefty amount to rent one of these in SF).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.