Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modern Toilet
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
The question has often been asked here-What does Wikipedia actually do well?
We generally agree that it does Military History well, although I credit that more to the people involved and the structural framework they have created than to the magik o teh Wiki. There are a plethora of fine Mil Hist sites on the net, WP simply provides one more outlet and gathering place for talent drawn to the topic.

But besides Mil Hist and obvious pop-culture ephemera, I'd have to say that Wiki, in general, does weird shit well. Including this fresh, steamy lil piece about a restaurant chain where you never have to get up to use the toilet. So impressed was I, when I found it floating around in DYK, that I promptly added it to the list of unusual articles (which for a long time was the only item on my watchlist).

In many respects this is the perfect topic for WP- It is weird, it is notable but unimportant and nobody gets hurt, except for maybe fecalphobiacs.

So remember, in this season of giving, if you are on the fence about giving to the WMF, remember, it's not just for some kid in Africa, it's not just to help Jimbo get his jet, it is for articles like Modern Toilet! For if Wikipedia doesn't do it, who will?...ok maybe Something Awful or Rotten.com or 2000 various blogs, but aside from that who would...
wub.gif
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Fri 18th December 2009, 10:04am) *

Actually you're not supposed to "use" the toilets in the dining area, except as a chair.

As they are not connected to running water I'm going to further guess that the seat-lids are bolted shut.
Emperor
Re: Military History
- Not done well. See the most popular article, World War II, which could quite possibly be the only WWII article ever written that doesn't include a picture of Adolf Hitler, or make any attempt to explain what a Nazi is.

Re: Modern Toilet
- The fact that they have this article shows their anti-Western, anti-big business, pro-weirdness, and pro-pop culture biases. They don't have articles on Jiffy Lube, Purdy, or Quaker State. Why the toilet restaurant chain?
Rhindle
Toilets is Japan is a Featured Article. This is very important for the starving African to know about in case he wakes up in a Japanese restroom.
Somey
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 18th December 2009, 4:45am) *
Actually you're not supposed to "use" the toilets in the dining area, except as a chair.

I wonder if they were inspired by the notorious "Burgundy Loaf" sketch from Season 5 of Mr. Show with Bob and David?

thekohser
QUOTE(Emperor @ Fri 18th December 2009, 3:42pm) *

They don't have articles on Jiffy Lube, Purdy, or Quaker State.

Wow, that is really appalling. It sets the old Wikipedia Review antennae all a-quiver.
Emperor
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 19th December 2009, 2:36am) *

QUOTE(Emperor @ Fri 18th December 2009, 3:42pm) *

They don't have articles on Jiffy Lube, Purdy, or Quaker State.

Wow, that is really appalling. It sets the old Wikipedia Review antennae all a-quiver.

Yes that's right up your alley.

There are some stubs over on Encyc. Feel free to copy them under creative commons - share alike.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Emperor @ Fri 18th December 2009, 8:42pm) *

Re: Military History
- Not done well. See the most popular article, World War II, which could quite possibly be the only WWII article ever written that doesn't include a picture of Adolf Hitler, or make any attempt to explain what a Nazi is.

I think most of that stuff is tucked away in the lead paragraph of Neville Chamberlain. boing.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.