Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: De-gaying of Wikipedia - AfterElton.com
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed
De-gaying of Wikipedia

AfterElton.com

In reading a variety of Wikipedia articles today, I was struck by the lack of mention of the sexuality of certain persons...

View the article
The Joy
Who cares if someone's Wikipedia article neglects their sexuality? I don't see people arguing for Tom Cruise's article to say he is a heterosexual. I don't go around yelling "I'm a heterosexual!" and no gay man I ever met goes around yelling "I'm gay!." I don't get it.

There is no anti-gay conspiracy on Wikipedia that I can tell.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 31st December 2009, 1:34am) *

Who cares if someone's Wikipedia article neglects their sexuality? I don't see people arguing for Tom Cruise's article to say he is a heterosexual. I don't go around yelling "I'm a heterosexual!" and no gay man I ever met goes around yelling "I'm gay!." I don't get it.

There is no anti-gay conspiracy on Wikipedia that I can tell.

Ha.

Quite the opposite, there's a very active LBGT wikiproject, and indeed articles that have little relationship to gay issues have often got fairly questionable slant in that direction. The house-POV is certainly gay friendly, however, no doubt there will be some some nooks and crannies where the opposite agenda still reigns supreme.

That's the way the wiki crumbles.
papaya
I find lots of "well of course he was" claims about Sterling Holloway, but like a lot of that sort of thing it appears to be strictly a gay fantasy. The Wikipedia article seems to be very circumspect because (it appears) there is next to no information. A bazillion edits, though, mostly because people spent a lot of time straightening out the filmography.

My experience is that the LGBT project and its friends own the daylights out of articles, or at least feel that they ought to. You'll be interested to know that tribbles are kinky, for instance. In this case sense prevailed, but there are so many "queer" academics out there, speculating away, that it isn't hard to find "reliable" references. There's also WP's, um, queer fascination with sexual deviancy. But we've been there before.
Alison
QUOTE(papaya @ Wed 30th December 2009, 7:12pm) *

My experience is that the LGBT project and its friends own the daylights out of articles, or at least feel that they ought to. You'll be interested to know that tribbles are kinky, for instance.

Since when is being bixexual, 'kinky'?? huh.gif
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Alison @ Thu 31st December 2009, 10:38am) *

QUOTE(papaya @ Wed 30th December 2009, 7:12pm) *

My experience is that the LGBT project and its friends own the daylights out of articles, or at least feel that they ought to. You'll be interested to know that tribbles are kinky, for instance.

Since when is being bixexual, 'kinky'?? huh.gif

Well, it certainly used to be considered so and although you might disagree with the characterisation, it still implies a sex life outside the normal to most people.

David Bowie's claims in the 70s (when the naive British public thought that Glam rockers acting camp was something of a joke) to be bi-sexual were definitely viewed in that light.

So since when? At least the 70s, probably the 1870s! The question is more when did it start to be not considered kinky? happy.gif So I think Papaya deserves a pass on that comment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.