Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia developer Jimmy Wales, a Huntsville native, named Alabamian of the ... - al.com (blog)
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed
Wikipedia developer Jimmy Wales, a Huntsville native, named Alabamian of the Year by Anniston Star

al.com (blog)
By Press-Register staff

Jimmy Wales: Huntsville, Ala., native who is the co-creator of the Wikipedia online encyclopedia named...

View the article
Somey
QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Fri 1st January 2010, 10:03am) *

Well, so much for Anniston, Alabama.

Wait a minute, are they referring to Hollywood star Jennifer Aniston? Because, as everyone knows, Ms. Aniston is fond of naming people various things "...of the year" just for pwnage purposes.
carbuncle
Wales is called the "co-creator of Wikipedia" in both this and the original story. Sanger gets mentioned there, too: "After several moderately successful attempts, Wales, co-creator Larry Sanger and others launched Wikipedia on Jan. 15, 2001".

On a side note, I was surprised to see that "now lives in St. Petersburg, Fla., with his wife and daughter". Really none of my business, but I thought Wales was divorced.
Somey
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 1st January 2010, 10:27am) *
On a side note, I was surprised to see that "now lives in St. Petersburg, Fla., with his wife and daughter". Really none of my business, but I thought Wales was divorced.

His WP bio says "separated," but of course we can't simply accept that at face value.

The original article also says this:
Wikipedia's public contributors do not always play fair or honest. In 2005, it was discovered that an awful and untrue slur against journalist John Seigenthaler had lingered on the site.

It is a sad commentary on the human condition. Put a giant blackboard and a steady supply of chalk on the town square, and something bad is bound to get through.

Wikipedia's overseers stepped up policing efforts. In 2009, Wikipedia took even more steps to semi-professionalize its editing.

...so judging by the last of those paragraphs, it's obvious that they didn't actually research this in any sort of depth before deciding to name Jimbo their AotY. Also, the blackboard analogy is fundamentally flawed, just like the steakhouse restaurant analogy that Jimbo has been fond of using in the past - maybe Alabamians just have a penchant for flawed analogies?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.