Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jaron Lanier has a new book
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
EricBarbour
And nobody noticed? I just saw this:

The Slate review
Bookavore review

Yes, Lanier is a mega-dork and just as much of a con artist as anyone in the 2.0 world.
Still makes some good points. That comment about music cuts right to the quick.
He's right about that one--I think that rock-n-roll essentially stopped changing in the 1970s/80s.
Lanier maintains, for example, that musical development has essentially stalled. He has a challenge: "[P]lay me some music that is characteristic of the late 2000s as opposed to the late 1990s." Lanier claims that listeners can't distinguish between recent musical eras because music is "retro, retro, retro."
Milton Roe
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 11:52pm) *

And nobody noticed? I just saw this:

The Slate review
Bookavore review

Yes, Lanier is a mega-dork and just as much of a con artist as anyone in the 2.0 world.
Still makes some good points. That comment about music cuts right to the quick.
He's right about that one--I think that rock-n-roll essentially stopped changing in the 1970s/80s.
Lanier maintains, for example, that musical development has essentially stalled. He has a challenge: "[P]lay me some music that is characteristic of the late 2000s as opposed to the late 1990s." Lanier claims that listeners can't distinguish between recent musical eras because music is "retro, retro, retro."

That may possibly be true for rock; however Latin salsa just keeps on improving. It is the muy grande amplificación electrónica of the timbales and campana which allows this. dry.gif
Greaser
A new book by Web 2.0 critic Jaron Lanier, who in the past has had unkind words for Wikipedia, will be released next week. There is an interview with him at Amazon.com and a review of the book in Slate.

From the Amazon interview:
It is increasingly disheartening to write about any topic in depth these days, because people will only read what the first link from a search engine directs them to, and that will typically be the collective expression of the Wikipedia. Or, if the issue is contentious, people will congregate into partisan online bubbles in which their views are reinforced. I don’t think a collective voice can be effective for many topics, such as history--and neither can a partisan mob. Collectives have a power to distort history in a way that damages minority viewpoints and calcifies the art of interpretation. Only the quirkiness of considered individual expression can cut through the nonsense of mob--and that is the reason intellectual activity is important.

GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Greaser @ Mon 4th January 2010, 11:25am) *

A new book by Web 2.0 critic Jaron Lanier, who in the past has had unkind words for Wikipedia, will be released next week. There is an interview with him at Amazon.com and a review of the book in Slate.

From the Amazon interview:
It is increasingly disheartening to write about any topic in depth these days, because people will only read what the first link from a search engine directs them to, and that will typically be the collective expression of the Wikipedia. Or, if the issue is contentious, people will congregate into partisan online bubbles in which their views are reinforced. I don’t think a collective voice can be effective for many topics, such as history--and neither can a partisan mob. Collectives have a power to distort history in a way that damages minority viewpoints and calcifies the art of interpretation. Only the quirkiness of considered individual expression can cut through the nonsense of mob--and that is the reason intellectual activity is important.

Looks like a bona fide work of criticism vetted and published by a major publisher (Random House.) I can't speak of the nature of the criticism at this point but I will try learn more. When a new member's first post is about a book I wonder...are you Mr. Lanier? We are not at all hostile to people who seek to promote their ideas, works, websites etc. on this site especially when they are serious and honest.
Somey
Surely Jaron Lanier would have checked for a pre-existing thread on the subject prior to starting a new thread...? ermm.gif

Still, I'm sure he means well. If he starts a thread about a thrilling new novel about sex-crazed teenagers trying to make it through High School without having anyone find out they're actually vampires and werewolves, then we'll have some grounds for suspicion.
Greaser
I am not Jaron Lanier. Mr. Lanier hangs out at John Brockman's www.edge.org, which is insufferably elitist. Brockman's site is much worse than Wikipedia.
Somey
QUOTE(Greaser @ Mon 4th January 2010, 12:39pm) *
...Mr. Lanier hangs out at John Brockman's www.edge.org, which is insufferably elitist. Brockman's site is much worse than Wikipedia.

In some ways, perhaps... but it doesn't set itself up as fact-based and objective, does it? ermm.gif

Anyhoo, as long as there are no teenage vampires involved, I'd say all is well. Would you mind if we merged this thread with the other one, though? We might not want people to think we're giving Mr. Lanier more attention than might normally be warranted.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Greaser @ Mon 4th January 2010, 1:39pm) *

I am not Jaron Lanier. Mr. Lanier hangs out at John Brockman's www.edge.org, which is insufferably elitist. Brockman's site is much worse than Wikipedia.

JOHN BROCKMAN is a cultural impresario whose career has encompassed the avant-garde art world, science, books, software, and the Internet. In the 1960s he coined the word "intermedia"...

The Edge

...which sounds remarkably similar to several words people actually use. Perhaps he and Godwin could compare coin collections.
EricBarbour
Could someone please merge this with the other thread?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.