Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo's on Internet talk radio
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion > The Jimbo Phenomenon
thekohser
Dear Internet Evolution Reader,

We're excited to invite you to join us today for an IE Radio interview with Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia. We're chatting live with Wales at 2 p.m. ET today.

To tune in, just click here: http://metacast.agora.com/link.asp?m=61277&s=7843150&l=0

Wales is famed for founding Wikipedia, the collaborative, online encyclopedia "that anyone can edit." Today we'll talk to Wales about the site's recent round of fundraising, whether the alleged "wisdom of the masses" is making us any smarter, and the evolution of his social platform Wikia.

We're inviting you to come with questions and comments to share throughout the interview as well. Simply log-in and join us on the youChat board, where you'll be able to submit questions and chat directly with Wales after the interview concludes.

You definitely won't want to miss this great opportunity to talk with and hear from one of the Web's leading innovators. So join us here at 2 p.m. ET: http://metacast.agora.com/link.asp?m=61277&s=7843150&l=0

See you there!

Terry Sweeney
Editor in Chief, Internet Evolution
thekohser
Folks, this was a doozie!

Kelly Martin will attest, I hope. I didn't see any other familiar WR names there.

Nicole Ferraro said that the audio and the chat transcript will be preserved for archival access. That's good. This was a very informative discussion, revealing much about Jimmy Wales' abilities and skill set.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 6th January 2010, 2:22pm) *

Folks, this was a doozie!

Kelly Martin will attest, I hope. I didn't see any other familiar WR names there.

Nicole Ferraro said that the audio and the chat transcript will be preserved for archival access. That's good. This was a very informative discussion, revealing much about Jimmy Wales' abilities and skill set.
I didn't listen and only glanced at the chat transcript. My handful of comments did not appear to elicit any reactions. So I cannot attest to it having been a "doozie".
thekohser
Wales' pithy answers to the softball questions, coupled with his completely ignoring the more sensitive questions, spoke volumes about how he has clearly moved on to "happily naked emperor" status. He can't possibly be interested in serious discourse any more, because he's simply not up to it intellectually. E.g., we will never again see a debate in the style of the California Commonwealth Club's "Wales vs. Keen" dialogue.
Kelly Martin
It's no surprise that Jimmy ignored all the real questions in that chat; bearpit chats like that basically give the subject the power to pick and choose responses. The only way a hard issue will get pulled forward is if the chat moderator leans into the subject, and the moderator on that chat had no interest at all in doing so.

I thought the "Most Wikipedians don't do drugs" was especially funny given the amount of advice on how to do drugs you can find on Wikipedia.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 6th January 2010, 3:31pm) *

I thought the "Most Wikipedians don't do drugs" was especially funny given the amount of advice on how to do drugs you can find on Wikipedia.

He said that? How would he possibly know? Has he been out doing random urine tests on his anonymous contributors? biggrin.gif

This is very funny, because not only is it something he can't possibly know, it's transparently obviously not anything he could even rationally begin to guess at.

What a con artist. I suppose he thinks he can get away with die große Lüge (oh, just look it up, Nerd).

Godwin!
thekohser
This just in...

I received an e-mail this morning: Nicole Ferraro confirmed you as a friend on Facebook...

Eat your heart out, Horsey.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 6th January 2010, 10:56pm) *

What a con artist. I suppose he thinks he can get away with die große Lüge (oh, just look it up, Nerd).

Thankfully I created that redirect a year ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.