Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funny BLP photo caption lede of the Day Award
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
Piperdown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Trickle

Dick Trickle having a smoke before getting in his #90 Ford at Pocono 1998

Not only is that a most unusual choice for a BLP photo, it also highlights the amazing addictive powers of nicotine. Trickle was going for a Darwin Award there. Maybe holding the ciggy behind back means it's smart to SMOKE IN A RACE CAR TRACK PIT AREA. omg-lol.
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Fri 8th January 2010, 5:36pm) *

If this thread goes anywhere, can it be the tarpit?

Seems to be nothing other than a place to comment on a living individual with no conntection to wikipedia other then an image.
Piperdown
QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Fri 8th January 2010, 5:43pm) *

Seems to be nothing other than a place to comment on a living individual with no conntection to wikipedia other then an image.

It's a direct crit of a WP BLP.

That photo and its caption should go into the WP tarpit.

Do you not understand the purpose of the WR tarpit? Did I out Dick Trickle?
Don't like me much, do you Doc? Lol.

Well now, this guy reads the W-R

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contr...s/86.11.136.129
Doc glasgow
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Fri 8th January 2010, 5:45pm) *

It's a direct crit of a WP BLP.

That photo and its caption should go into the WP tarpit.

Do you not understand the purpose of the WR tarpit? Did I out Dick Trickle?
Don't like me much, do you Doc? Lol.

Sorry, I don't have an oppinion on you or Dick Trickle.

You are correct that the caption was inappropriate, and the image is poor. However, this topic seemed to invite people to come up with even more inappropriate captions about the guy, and that concerned me - all abuse of uninvolved individuals, be it here or at Wikipedia, does.

CharlotteWebb

On the contrary there's an entire article about him, but I don't see anything humorous about it aside from the guy's name.

I realize "smoking a cigarette" would be more formal than "having a smoke", except he's not actually smoking it in the photo, only holding it. On that basis one could argue that the presence of a cig is too trivial to mention.

In no way does that make it funny, however. I'm pretty sure nobody would have started this thread if the guy had a normal name.

2¢

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Fri 8th January 2010, 5:48pm) *

I'm pretty sure he posts here also.
Piperdown
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 8th January 2010, 5:50pm) *

On the contrary there's an entire article about him, but I don't see anything humorous about it aside from the guy's name.

I realize "smoking a cigarette" would be more formal than "having a smoke", except he's not actually smoking it in the photo, only holding it. On that basis one could argue that the presence of a cig is too trivial to mention.

In no way does that make it funny, however. I'm pretty sure nobody would have started this thread if the guy had a normal name.

2¢

I'd have started the thread if the same photo depiction was on Mario Andretti's BLP.

It further highlights, as does Doc's panic about pointing such things out, the idiocy of WP's BLP policies - that is allowing anyone to submit photos and comment on a biography of a living or dead person, unchecked unitl some obscure website peanut thrower points it out.

Mr Wales, tear down that WP BLP non-wall now.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Fri 8th January 2010, 6:00pm) *

I'd have started the thread if the same photo depiction was on Mario Andretti's BLP.

I don't believe you.
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Good God Doc ... try the other side of the bed and you wont hit the wall with your head.

Topic also notable for the inclusion of the non-word "winningest".

Is it the trademarked property of an American corporation because it sure as hell "ain't" English.

I have no idea who or what 'Dick Trickle" is but I full expect it to be illustrated by Richiex ... on whom some anonymous IP has finally spoken truth.

Apparently, the natural settings of Richie's work make them "particularly educational." (No evil image linked to, just more idiotic delete discussion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.