Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with Wikia?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
So, a humorous exchange on Jimbo's Wikipedia talk page:

Wikia

I'm having problems on my Wikia (http://tyw7.wikia.com/wiki/My_Wiki). I cannot replace the image in the top right corner. No matter how many times I upload the image, it just wouldn't appear! Secondly, whenever I try to verify my email, I'm geting errors (see http://pastebin.com/m2109d0f1). Thanks. --Tyw7 (Talk • Contributions) Changing the world one edit at a time! 13:08, 10 January 2010 (UTC)

Your solution is best achieved by emailing community@wikia.com. They will help you over there. Wikipedia isn't the best place to ask for Wikia help! :-) --Jimbo Wales (talk) 13:56, 10 January 2010 (UTC)

I've also posted on your Wikia talk page and contacted the admins through special:contact. Plus, aren't you the same Jimbo Wales on Wikia? wink.gif --Tyw7 (Talk • Contributions) Changing the world one edit at a time! 15:36, 10 January 2010 (UTC)

It's so terribly tempting to use a sockpuppet to layer in a comment like, "This Jimbo Wales is completely separate from that Jimbo Wales."
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 11th January 2010, 5:35pm) *

It's so terribly tempting to use a sockpuppet to layer in a comment like, "This Jimbo Wales is completely separate from that Jimbo Wales."

A bit unfair. If a Wikipedia user were to open a thread on WR asking Alison or Malleus how to format a Wikipedia citation, say, you'd be the first to tell them to go do it in the appropriate place even though all the people involved would be the same people whichever site they were on. Really, Greg, don't make me defend Jimmy Wales again.
thekohser
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 11th January 2010, 12:39pm) *

A bit unfair. If a Wikipedia user were to open a thread on WR asking Alison or Malleus how to format a Wikipedia citation, say, you'd be the first to tell them to go do it in the appropriate place even though all the people involved would be the same people whichever site they were on. Really, Greg, don't make me defend Jimmy Wales again.

You're right. I keep forgetting about all those times that Alison has showed up at Wikimania to give the keynote speech wearing her "Wikipedia Review" T-shirt. And, oh that Malleus -- who will ever forget the time he told the New Yorker magazine that he "didn't really have a problem with" the Wikimedia Foundation employee that he appointed to the 300 Club of the Wikipedia Review?

Sorry to have stepped over a line by pointing out this item on Jimbo's talk page.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 11th January 2010, 5:39pm) *

One difference is that Alison or Malleus might be of some assistance in that case.

Good luck finding anyone who knows how to avoid a Stomp_Exception, whatever the hell that is.
"It kinda goes like… well… if somebody takes exception to how we do things, we stomp 'em, see?"
It appears to originate from this code which appears to be modified from this code.

I also figured out that STOMP stands for Streaming Text Orientated Messaging Protocol, at which point I said "what, isn't IRC good enough?" tongue.gif
thekohser
Wikipedia also used to be a non-profit place to hash out new for-profit Wikia sub-domain logos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.