Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The sailor said, "Panyd, you're a fine girl..."
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikipedia Annex
A Horse With No Name
Hey, Horsey is happy -- there's a female in the RfA arena! boing.gif

I have to say that I love the nominating statement by perennial goofball and Lord Nelson successor Chase Me Ladies....

"I am happy - and proud - to nominate Panyd for adminship..."

As opposed to be happy and ashamed? Or morose and proud? Or (to borrow an "Odd Couple" tune), happy and peppy and bursting with love? unsure.gif

"While I have been away from Wikipedia for the past several months, I have been mentoring Panyd."

This sounds soooooooo wrong...and so right! evilgrin.gif

"She joined Wikipedia in 2007, but has been a serious editor since November 2008..."

Yes, for the first year she ran about with a seltzer bottle and custard pies to the tune of "Yakety Sax" smile.gif

"She has also become proficient in handling the more complex copyright emails that come through to us."

Complex? Either you have permission to use copyright-protected work or you don't. blink.gif

"The majority of her 'on-wiki' actions have involved working on non-content issues such as AfDs and other policy-related discussions, of which she has a solid grip."

Mmmm, Horsey likes a gal with a solid grip! evilgrin.gif

"Although she may seem to have relatively few edits, I truly believe she would be a boon to the project if given the tools to act upon her always excellent judgement skills."

She and Lustiger Seth should team up -- what Wikipedia needs is admins with little-to-no edits.

Still...it's not a 16-year-old fat boy who wants the tools. I say that we all empty out our sock drawers and go over to RfA to vote her in. boing.gifboing.gifboing.gifboing.gif
SoWhy
She is a girl, she will most likely pass without any socks. ;-)
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(SoWhy @ Fri 15th January 2010, 10:08am) *

She is a girl, she will most likely pass without any socks. ;-)

A girl who doesn't need socks?

Damn, where has she been hiding? evilgrin.gif
Eva Destruction
"I would say that MarHedge is an example of my best contribution to Wikipedia". Is this some kind of a lame Wikipedia joke? What the hell do her worst contributions look like?
A Horse With No Name
And hold the phone -- Barnacle Bill just confirmed that she's past the point of jail bait:

"I should also note that I just made this same comment on Panyd's account - we were meeting for drinks and I accidentally picked up her laptop. Won't happen again!" Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk) 18:23, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

Hmmm...a lady who likes a bit of bubbly on the lips! Come on, men, let's gallop over and stuff the RfA ballot box!

A Horse With No Name
PS It appears our lady's boat struck a reef, with resident jinxes Nsk92, Dank and Wisdom89 manning the initial torpedoes. Unless any gallant men here can sail to her rescue, it looks like this RfA will be sleeping with the fishes. unhappy.gif
carbuncle
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 15th January 2010, 3:54pm) *

"I would say that MarHedge is an example of my best contribution to Wikipedia". Is this some kind of a lame Wikipedia joke? What the hell do her worst contributions look like?

Well, to be fair, she only added the inaccessible Lexis-Nexis links...
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 16th January 2010, 12:02am) *

Good thing Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Actually those symptoms strike me as mild, and could describe potentially anyone currently having a bad day.

Hey Sandstein, why don't you go wave some money in front of a damn shrink and tell us which recently invented mental illness you happen to walk out with.

Then if you do come up with a less bigoted reason to oppose this candidate (many of which may very well exist) you can smile and nod while others discredit it on the basis of your diagnosis.

Or you could just refrain from being a dick, eh?
everyking
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 15th January 2010, 7:37pm) *

And hold the phone -- Barnacle Bill just confirmed that she's past the point of jail bait:

"I should also note that I just made this same comment on Panyd's account - we were meeting for drinks and I accidentally picked up her laptop. Won't happen again!" Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk) 18:23, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

Hmmm...a lady who likes a bit of bubbly on the lips! Come on, men, let's gallop over and stuff the RfA ballot box!

I find that story to be more than a little hard to believe. A checkuser may want to look into it.
Trick cyclist
QUOTE(Eva%2520Destruction @ Sat 16th January 2010, 12:02am) *

the ever-reliable Sandstein (T-C-L-K-R-D)

According to the ever-reliable Daniel Brandt, Sandstein is Thomas M. Fischer, a Swiss lawyer. He's an expert on international trade.
Cottier, Thomas.
International trade regulation : law and policy in the WTO, the European Union, and Switzerland : cases, materials, and comments / Thomas Cottier, Matthias Oesch ; with the assistance of Thomas M. Fischer.
Berne : Staempfli Publishers ; London : Cameron May, c2005.
ISBN: 372729924X (Staempfli) 1874698945 (Cameron May)
If he has qualifications in clinical psychiatry too he must be fucking clever.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 15th January 2010, 9:14pm) *

I find that story to be more than a little hard to believe. A checkuser may want to look into it.

It gets funnier:

"We met for coffee and a bit of red wine tonight to discuss her RfA and watch Babylon 5. There are no rules against editors being friends, and given our differing ideals, we rarely agree on things! OTRS are already aware of our friendship and there have been no problems." -- Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk) 19:03, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

Since when do you need to clear a real life friendship with OTRS?

And just where are they watching "Babylon 5" together?

And what came first, the coffee or the bit of red wine?

I am so confused. wacko.gif

Krimpet
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 15th January 2010, 7:32pm) *

Good thing Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Actually those symptoms strike me as mild, and could describe potentially anyone currently having a bad day.

Hey Sandstein, why don't you go wave some money in front of a damn shrink and tell us which recently invented mental illness you happen to walk out with.

Then if you do come up with a less bigoted reason to oppose this candidate (many of which may very well exist) you can smile and nod while others discredit it on the basis of your diagnosis.

Or you could just refrain from being a dick, eh?

I'd like to propose that the nearsighted be disqualified from adminship. They could misread an innocuous statement as a personal attack or vandalism and block someone completely innocent!

And the left-handed - their lack of dexterity with the mouse, traditionally held with the right hand, could lead to them accidentally clicking "block" or "delete."

And don't get me started on folks with restless leg syndrome...
everyking
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 16th January 2010, 3:02pm) *

It gets funnier:

"We met for coffee and a bit of red wine tonight to discuss her RfA and watch Babylon 5. There are no rules against editors being friends, and given our differing ideals, we rarely agree on things! OTRS are already aware of our friendship and there have been no problems." -- Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk) 19:03, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

And just where are they watching "Babylon 5" together?

And what came first, the coffee or the bit of red wine?

To me, "I accidentally picked up her laptop and just so happened to go right onto her RfA to make a comment while her account was logged on under her name" is too implausible, when it's much easier to imagine that he just forgot to switch between his own accounts. Of course, it's certainly possible--I wouldn't oppose on that basis, but it's too questionable for me to support.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 16th January 2010, 11:58am) *

To me, "I accidentally picked up her laptop and just so happened to go right onto her RfA to make a comment while her account was logged on under her name" is too implausible, when it's much easier to imagine that he just forgot to switch between his own accounts. Of course, it's certainly possible--I wouldn't oppose on that basis, but it's too questionable for me to support.

I would oppose on that basis, since at the very least it counts as MajorFuckingMomentofStupidity. Also, we've seen it before so many times that it ranks right up there with The Dog Ate My Homework and "I accidently dropped by topless bottle of Vicodin in my toilet." pinch.gif

In this world, if you're going to be incredibly stupid one moment (we all do that) you had better demonstrate the ability to be fairly creative later, to make up for it. Lest you be taken as the sort of person who is Stupid Pretty Much All the Time ™.

Whether that kind of person is actually a good match for the WP admin job, if we'd like the thing to fail, is something we have to take up in another thread. But then we'd have to discuss the real possiblity that Alison is presently propping up the whole project. ohmy.gif wacko.gif Woah, think of the Bad Karma she's building up that way.
Trick cyclist
QUOTE(Krimpet @ Sat 16th January 2010, 3:31pm) *

I'd like to propose that the nearsighted be disqualified from adminship. ... And the left-handed

This is completely unacceptable even as a joke. It is a most unpleasant attack on the disabled and a minority. If I could think of "reasons" why people in wheelchairs, or coloured people, should not be administrators and said so here I'd be attacked and rightly so.

Conflict of interest: Several of my relatives are short sighted or left handed. My great-uncle is both, not that he would have any interest in Wikipedia.
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 16th January 2010, 2:02pm) *

Since OTRS turned itself into the WMF's Sooper Sekret Police Farce.

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 16th January 2010, 2:02pm) *

Fear not, you have plenty of company.
confused.gif
A Horse With No Name
Alas, our lass withdrew. unhappy.gif
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 17th January 2010, 11:18pm) *

So now you can spill the beans - was she you or John254? There was a distinct editing-in-a-similar-way whiff there.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 17th January 2010, 7:03pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 17th January 2010, 11:18pm) *

So now you can spill the beans - was she you or John254? There was a distinct editing-in-a-similar-way whiff there.

No, she was not me. For starters, I cannot imagine myself being seduced with red wine and Babylon 5 DVDs by Chase Me! And I suspect that I am not quite what he is looking for! blink.gif

Though I must say that I am intrigued by the Sarah Lawrence College undergrad - Royal Navy officer plotline that laced its way through the RfA. I might try to adapt this as a screenplay, with Robert Pattinson as Chase Me, Anne Hathaway as Panyd, and Nathan Lane as Benjiboi (I know, he wasn't part of the RfA -- but most screenplays require a gay best friend). We need a happy ending, though -- this one was just too sad. unhappy.gif

Eva Destruction
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 18th January 2010, 12:17am) *

No, she was not me. For starters, I cannot imagine myself being seduced with red wine and Babylon 5 DVDs by Chase Me!

You more of a Battlestar Galactica type, then?
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 18th January 2010, 12:17am) *

Though I must say that I am intrigued by the Sarah Lawrence College undergrad - Royal Navy officer plotline that laced its way through the RfA. I might try to adapt this as a screenplay, with Robert Pattinson as Chase Me, Anne Hathaway as Panyd, and Nathan Lane as Benjiboi (I know, he wasn't part of the RfA -- but most screenplays require a gay best friend). We need a happy ending, though -- this one was just too sad. unhappy.gif

I'm also curious as to what part of the Navy is in Coventry, given that the Laptop Explanation was based on "she's visiting me". It is literally the most landlocked place in the British Isles. And why someone who's only visiting the country has a Sky cable TV account.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 17th January 2010, 7:28pm) *

No, my tastes in sci-fi are far more much more sophisticated.

I'm also curious as to what part of the Navy is in Coventry, given that the Laptop Explanation was based on "she's visiting me". It is literally the most landlocked place in the British Isles. And why someone who's only visiting the country has a Sky cable TV account.

This is a job for Miss Marple! smile.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 17th January 2010, 5:38pm) *

Memories! As a kid, the alien computer in that one scared the hell out of me! I haven't seen it since. Probably won't be as good. ermm.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 17th January 2010, 8:09pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 17th January 2010, 5:38pm) *

Memories! As a kid, the alien computer in that one scared the hell out of me! I haven't seen it since. Probably won't be as good. ermm.gif

Trust me, it is better when you come back to it many years later. This was probably the Stooges' last hurrah in terms of hilarious violent knockabout (their later work was aimed at the kiddie market and considerably toned down), and it is the one film where Curly-Joe genuinely shines. Plus, the threadbare FX are unintentionally funny when viewed today, ditto the out-of-nowhere musical number roughly an hour into the film's running time. wink.gif
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sat 16th January 2010, 6:36pm) *
This is completely unacceptable even as a joke. It is a most unpleasant attack on the disabled and a minority. If I could think of "reasons" why people in wheelchairs, or coloured people, should not be administrators and said so here I'd be attacked and rightly so.
I'm both left-handed and nearsighted* (although the latter fairly slightly), and I'd suggest that you find something more worthwhile to get offended about, assuming you were being earnest.

* Though I'm not sure why being nearsighted would make one likely to misread something on Wikipedia, unless Krimpet edits while sitting fifty feet away from her monitor.
A Horse With No Name
She's baaaaaaaaaaaaack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Rfa#Panyd_2
Zoloft
Sandstein has already posted his oppose that could help her win RfA in record time.

Now her candidacy appeals to:
  • People who dislike Sandstein
  • Folks who detest Fox 'News'
  • Proponents of freedom of expression
  • Old hands who are tired of userbox opposes
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Zoloft @ Sun 21st November 2010, 8:27pm) *

Sandstein has already posted his oppose that could help her win RfA in record time.

Now her candidacy appeals to:
  • People who dislike Sandstein
  • Folks who detest Fox 'News'
  • Proponents of freedom of expression
  • Old hands who are tired of userbox opposes

Plus, she admits on her User Page that she is dating Chase Me...the poor gal has poor taste in men! unhappy.gif
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 15th January 2010, 6:38am) *

Still...it's not a 16-year-old fat boy who wants the tools.
At least it doesn't look that way in cyberspace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.