Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nate Kaeding's "attempted suicide"
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
EricBarbour
See this for some "Wikipedia shenanigans". Read the history for plenty more.

I have to feel sorry for Kaeding. Some idiots out there seem to think it's "fun" to
vandalize his WP BLP. Presumably this happens to athletes when they're involved
in playoffs or other major events. And judging from this history, the vandal-warriors
do a terrible job of preventing it. All they'd have to do is protect it until after the
playoffs, yes?
gomi
[Moderator's note: Moved to BLP forum.]
Milton Roe
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 18th January 2010, 2:27pm) *

See this for some "Wikipedia shenanigans". Read the history for plenty more.

I have to feel sorry for Kaeding. Some idiots out there seem to think it's "fun" to
vandalize his WP BLP. Presumably this happens to athletes when they're involved
in playoffs or other major events. And judging from this history, the vandal-warriors
do a terrible job of preventing it. All they'd have to do is protect it until after the
playoffs, yes?

That would take work.

You miss the point. WMF could sprotect all BLPs all the time, not just in playoffs for athletes, or during elections for minor politicians. But they don't, because it's work, and WMF does not give two shits. Very simple.
Somey
Same thing happened to Shayne Graham a couple of weeks ago. Naturally they'll say, "but we can't be expected to actually watch NFL playoff games just so we'll know which placekicker's article to protect immediately afterwards," but of course that's not really the point, is it?
EricBarbour
The point is, instead of preventing such abuse in a permanent way--or even
an effective temporary way--NawlinWiki and his Gang of Fools would rather
leave it wide open as much as possible.

I wonder if it's just because they're too stupid or distracted to apply a lasting fix.
Or are they deliberately encouraging the abuse, so they'll endlessly justify their
pointless reverting and patrolling? I dunno about you, but if I put new screws into
a door hinge, I try to do it properly......so the damn door won't fall off 3 days later.

That's Wikipedia: "The doors fall off every day--and we LOVE IT".
jd turk
Man, look at that page's history. Hundreds of IP comedians, each less funny than the last.

Yeah, there's no reason to semi-protect BLPs. Or any and every other article, for that matter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.