Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikiquote "Lyrics"
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
Emperor
Why this particular selection of lyrics?

Lyrics - Wikiquote

QUOTE(Wikiquote)
0-9
'Cause now again I've fucked myself
So far down, away from the sun
That shines into the darkest place
3 Doors Down, "Away From The Sun", Away From The Sun (2002)
[edit] A-E
There was a man, had a face that looked a lot like me,
I saw him in the mirror and I followed him in the street,
then when he turned away,
I shot him in the head, then I came to realise
I had killed myself.
Audioslave, "Exploder", Audioslave (2002)
Don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me" Out of Exile (2005)
I know you've got problems,
I see it in your eyes.
If you want to live to see the morning
Give it up to your brother, or you'll get a surprise.
Audioslave, "Hypnotize" Audioslave (2002)
He who makes a beast out of himself
gets rid of the pain of being a man
Avenged Sevenfold, 'Bat Country', City of Evil (2005)
She's a dwelling place for demons
She's a cage for every unclean spirit,
Every filthy bird and makes us
Drink the poisoned wine to fornicating with our kings
Fallen now is Babylon the Great
Avenged Sevenfold, 'Beast and the Harlot', City of Evil (2005)
Here's a story about the boys at the altar
Some of them came between me and my halter
But I don't think the good lord would mind
I was callin' his name the whole time!
Avenue D, Slut? (2004 single)
Cuz I'm a freaky streaker like Winnie the Pooh / T-shirt and no pants and I dance the boogaloo!
The Beastie Boys, To The 5 Boroughs(2005)
I never thought missing children could be so sexy. Did I say that out loud?
The Bloodhound Gang, "A Lapdance is So Much Better When the Stripper is Crying", Hooray for Boobies (2000)
Wikicrusher2
The bands are in alphabetical order. Can someone delete this useless thread?
The Joy
I don't understand why those lyrics were chosen. Actually, song lyrics are copyrighted and I doubt anyone can claim fair use for education purposes in having those lyrics there. You can't place copyrighted material on a project that's CC-BY-SA and/or GFDL. WikiQuote is going to get into legal trouble one day. The French WikiQuote was deleted for having too many copyright infringements, IIRC. dry.gif

QUOTE(Wikicrusher2 @ Sat 23rd January 2010, 9:12pm) *

The bands are in alphabetical order. Can someone delete this useless thread?

We normally don't delete threads unless the thread starter asks for it and that's only in situations when many others agree that its pretty useless. As WikiQuote is a WMF project, I see no reason to begrudge Emperor criticism of it. I can't think of a more appropriate forum to place this at the moment, however.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Emperor @ Sun 24th January 2010, 2:06am) *

It's the playlist of a future murderer?
Trick cyclist

The article does explain what it is.
These are quotations from song lyrics, especially from (but not limited to) musicians who are unlikely to have their own quote articles, sorted by band name and artist last name.

One or two bands could easily be spun off into their own articles; i'll look into it.

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 24th January 2010, 3:51am) *

I don't understand why those lyrics were chosen. Actually, song lyrics are copyrighted and I doubt anyone can claim fair use for education purposes in having those lyrics there. You can't place copyrighted material on a project that's CC-BY-SA and/or GFDL. WikiQuote is going to get into legal trouble one day. The French WikiQuote was deleted for having too many copyright infringements, IIRC. dry.gif

I dare say its a crowdsourced group of random lines. It looks (I say it looks) from the history like theres lots of different contributors. My understanding is its OK to have odd bits and pieces because thats fair use, like half the pictures on WP. You know you can't upload photos to WQ so if you want one you have to use Commons and you can't use film posters because theyre on WP and cant be moved to Commons because they dont accept fair use.
BelovedFox
QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sun 24th January 2010, 5:43pm) *

I dare say its a crowdsourced group of random lines. It looks (I say it looks) from the history like theres lots of different contributors. My understanding is its OK to have odd bits and pieces because thats fair use, like half the pictures on WP. You know you can't upload photos to WQ so if you want one you have to use Commons and you can't use film posters because theyre on WP and cant be moved to Commons because they dont accept fair use.

Fair use is messy, but it's not just "how much" you use of something, it's also for what purpose. Educational and nonprofit uses are much more likely to be acceptable; it's the people who try and rip off copyrighted material that generally get hit.

Of course, there's a difference between practice and theory. Those who post copyrighted clips on Youtube simply get banned at the worst, while even legitimate fair use claims on videos there is enough to have your audio stripped or the movie deleted (no one bothers reading them, probably).

I'm not sure how you could say a collection of song lyrics is fair use if they aren't directly being used for an academic/educational purpose. After all, that's why the lyrics web sites can get served any time.
Emperor
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Sun 24th January 2010, 4:32am) *

It's the playlist of a future murderer?

Yes, that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.