Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [[WP:Plaxico]]'d
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles > Biographies of Living Persons
Apathetic
What are your thoughts about the ongoing ridicule of Plaxico Burress in the form of a Wikipedia-space essay known as WP:Plaxico ?
A Horse With No Name
I assume BLP policy is currently at the dry cleaners? ermm.gif
Shalom
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 3rd February 2010, 12:49pm) *

I assume BLP policy is currently at the dry cleaners? ermm.gif

Not a BLP violation.
Somey
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 3rd February 2010, 11:43am) *
What are your thoughts about the ongoing ridicule of Plaxico Burress in the form of a Wikipedia-space essay known as WP:Plaxico ?

This is absolutely ludicrous.

Essentially what you have here is someone trying to assign a new "meme" word to the longstanding phenomenon of runaway narcissism on Wikipedia, probably so they won't have to call it "narcissism." That would be tantamount to admitting what Wikipedia really is, wouldn't it? Can't have that! Meanwhile, there's nothing about Plaxico Burress's situation that should lead anyone to make his name a by-word for "it's their fault, not mine, so please punish them" - just because Burress may have pointed out (or had someone else point out fr him) that some celebrity athletes carry weapons because they're afraid of bring recognized and shot at, doesn't make him a narcissist or a blame-shifter. He's at least paying his debt to society, unlike most Wikipedians.

What's more, this isn't even accurate: In most cases, the person reporting the "offense" on any given page actually does win, rather than "shoot himself in the leg."

This is just-plain stupid. Whoever this Atama (T-C-L-K-R-D) person is, he should be utterly ashamed of himself... and that's coming from someone who doesn't like the New York Giants one bit.
Apathetic
Hm, until SDJ nominated it I didn't even notice (due to lack of {{oldmfd}} on the talk page) that it's already been thru MFD once.
Kelly Martin
That essay is basically incoherent, and is quite obviously a vehicle to further draw Plaxico's name through the mud. If Wikipedia were serious about protecting the reputation of living people, it would delete the essay and block the contributor. However, it's not serious about such things, and therefore will not.
SDJ
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd February 2010, 3:33pm) *

That essay is basically incoherent, and is quite obviously a vehicle to further draw Plaxico's name through the mud. If Wikipedia were serious about protecting the reputation of living people, it would delete the essay and block the contributor. However, it's not serious about such things, and therefore will not.

Okay, I'm a bit "weirded out" right now. I nearly just posted the same basic thing at the MfD. That there are any serious people opposing deletion of this is really disturbing. I'd like to see it deleted, salted, set on fire, salted again, and anyone daring to recreate a similar project space page be blocked without warning. Also, his first name is SO unique that even a redirect draws ridicule to him.
thekohser
As a Michigan State football fan, I met with Burress on the sidewalk outside Spartan Stadium after he pasted the Wolverines with 255 receiving yards. He signed my ticket stub. He seemed like a pretty nice guy.

This WP thing is completely stupid and doesn't even stretch to fit Plaxico's sidearm scenario.
Kelly Martin
For me the problem is that Wikipedia project space is being used to give a derogatory neologism added cultural weight. For Wikipedia, or any encyclopedia, to dispassionately report that a neologism exists may be appropriate if sufficient evidence exists for the existence of the neologism. If the "plaxico" neologism really does exist then Wikipedia can reasonably report on this in its article on Plaxico Burris and perhaps in the "list of neologisms" article. But for it to adopt the neologism as part of its community jargon is inconsistent with the sort of dispassionate detachment that ought to be part and parcel of being an encyclopedia author, especially when the neologism is not yet well-rooted in the common lexicon. Real encyclopedia authors and editors write with the awareness that their words may influence others, and therefore choose them carefully.

Yet another one of the nearly infinite problems created by letting immature boychildren act as the guardians of an encyclopedia.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd February 2010, 4:45pm) *

For me the problem is that Wikipedia project space is being used to give a derogatory neologism added cultural weight. For Wikipedia, or any encyclopedia, to dispassionately report that a neologism exists may be appropriate if sufficient evidence exists for the existence of the neologism. If the "plaxico" neologism really does exist then Wikipedia can reasonably report on this in its article on Plaxico Burris and perhaps in the "list of neologisms" article. But for it to adopt the neologism as part of its community jargon is inconsistent with the sort of dispassionate detachment that ought to be part and parcel of being an encyclopedia author, especially when the neologism is not yet well-rooted in the common lexicon. Real encyclopedia authors and editors write with the awareness that their words may influence others, and therefore choose them carefully.

Yet another one of the nearly infinite problems created by letting immature boychildren act as the guardians of an encyclopedia.

But not unexpected. A lot of kids without enough adult or scholarly supervision, is bound to invent their own creole language. Without really being aware of what's happening, in many cases.

It's one thing to invent new words when faced with new situations and concepts. It's something else to do it just because you're ignorant of history, and haven't got a reference. wink.gif

That's what WP needs! A set of good reference materials! smile.gif
thekohser
If they end up keeping it, we're going to have to work on WP:JIMBO. You know, the phenomenon of only editing Wikipedia (sloppily) when there is either va-jay-jay or speaker's fees at stake.

We'll replace this nonsense with our version.
Trick cyclist
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd February 2010, 11:45pm) *

Immature in many cases no doubt. Mostly male very likely. But is there any reason to believe that its only boys causing the problem? There are some immature and spiteful females out there too. Or are you suggesting we can cure the problem by giving them all sex change ops?
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Thu 4th February 2010, 7:37am) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd February 2010, 11:45pm) *

Immature in many cases no doubt. Mostly male very likely. But is there any reason to believe that its only boys causing the problem? There are some immature and spiteful females out there too. Or are you suggesting we can cure the problem by giving them all sex change ops?

Photo caption: Jimbo Wales (far right) consults with his admin corps.
A Horse With No Name
Say, does Plaxico even know about this?
Zoloft
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sun 7th February 2010, 9:25pm) *

Say, does Plaxico even know about this?

You could tell him, but it might boomerang... you could end up shooting yourself... nemmine.
~DC
This debate is ridiculous. Some people need to chill out.
A Horse With No Name
It was put out of its misery. On to the next catastrophe...
everyking
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd February 2010, 9:33pm) *

Personally, I refer to exceptionally skilled trolls as "Kelly Martins". To give you an example of what I mean, I'll use it in a sentence: "It's a good thing Wikipedia doesn't have more Kelly Martins."

Is it wrong of me to appropriate your name in that manner? laugh.gif
Tarc
Even though it is now deleted, iit has been cited so often now that it appears to have passed into the general wiki-lexicon. Ctrl-F through the current AN/I page and it has been used several times today, even by an admin to mark a topic resolved.

The lulz will continue.

MBisanz
QUOTE(Tarc @ Thu 11th February 2010, 9:17pm) *

Even though it is now deleted, iit has been cited so often now that it appears to have passed into the general wiki-lexicon. Ctrl-F through the current AN/I page and it has been used several times today, even by an admin to mark a topic resolved.

The lulz will continue.

I wish my batch unlinking script was working...
NuclearWarfare
Is Twinkle's broken or something?

Also, what you really need is a batch find/replace (with WP:SHOOTFOOT or something), so as to remove mentions of WP:PLAXICO from the encyclopedia entirely.
MBisanz
QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 11th February 2010, 9:30pm) *

Is Twinkle's broken or something?

Also, what you really need is a batch find/replace (with WP:SHOOTFOOT or something), so as to remove mentions of WP:PLAXICO from the encyclopedia entirely.

My twinkle unlink isn't working for some reason.
thekohser
QUOTE(MBisanz @ Thu 11th February 2010, 3:34pm) *

My twinkle unlink isn't working for some reason.

I suggest you consult your family doctor.
NotARepublican55
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 11th February 2010, 2:00pm) *

Personally, I refer to exceptionally un-skilled trolls as "Everykings". To give you an example of what I mean, I'll use it in a sentence: "It's too bad Wikipedia has so many Everykings as admins."

Is it wrong of me to appropriate my name in that manner? laugh.gif

Fixed.
NuclearWarfare
That's not clever or amusing...
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(NotARepublican55 @ Thu 18th February 2010, 8:50pm) *

QUOTE(Everyking @ Thu 11th February 2010, 2:00pm) *

Personally, I refer to exceptionally un-skilled trolls as "Everykings". To give you an example of what I mean, I'll use it in a sentence: "It's too bad Wikipedia has so many Everykings as admins."

Is it wrong of me to appropriate my name in that manner? laugh.gif

Fixed.

The everykings disorient'd are
Trying to light a rubber cigar …

Jon tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.