Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid disambiguation pages
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
thekohser
Working on something else, I noticed something. Here's my list of unhelpful disambiguation pages, all of which get lots of page views, so you know these pages aren't really what people are looking for.

Just another case of Wikipedians failing to think of what the readers need?
EricBarbour
Just remember, their own policy on disambigs is itself, a classic WP crap-fest.
Lots of twaddle on what a disambig isn't, but only a general framework on what it should be.
Whoever wrote that should be hanged by his or their thumbs. Clear as frickin' mud.

And to anticipate the objections:
If it's such a "good" policy, why are there so many bad disambigs?
I've though about listing a healthy cross-section, but there are too many.....

This one makes me go "huh".
And why the hell is an album by Loudon Wainwright III listed in the disambig for Loudon Wainwright?
Isn't this one a bit pointless?
For that matter, this one leads to this blatant advert.....
The Joy
Not to make Jon relive his nightmare, but the Charles Peirce disambiguation was one of the craziest things on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=158297561

QUOTE(Wikipedia on Charles Sanders Peirce)
Not to be confused with Charles Pierce, the female impersonator.

Milton Roe
QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 10th February 2010, 1:45pm) *

Not to make Jon relive his nightmare, but the Charles Peirce disambiguation was one of the craziest things on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=158297561

QUOTE(Wikipedia on Charles Sanders Peirce)
Not to be confused with Charles Pierce, the female impersonator.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

And don't be confused by Slim, the human impersonator.
thekohser
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 9th February 2010, 11:57pm) *

Working on something else, I noticed something. Here's my list of unhelpful disambiguation pages, all of which get lots of page views, so you know these pages aren't really what people are looking for.Just another case of Wikipedians failing to think of what the readers need?

So, who is Xeno, obeying my directives?
Apathetic
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 10th February 2010, 7:15pm) *

So, who is Xeno, obeying my directives?

some n00b
LessHorrid vanU
Here is my personal favourite pointless "disambig type" (because it isn't - cannot be a true disambig) page; Ayshcombe Baronets. One subject, redlinked... since 2007.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 11th February 2010, 2:00pm) *

Here is my personal favourite pointless "disambig type" (because it isn't - cannot be a true disambig) page; Ayshcombe Baronets. One subject, redlinked... since 2007.

Don't get me started on WP and its obscession with people with "titles." yecch.gif

It's bad enough with the peerage. Add all the dead baby baronets and its worse than Pokemon.

Trick cyclist
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 11th February 2010, 9:14pm) *

Don't get me started on WP and its obscession with people with "titles." yecch.gif

It's bad enough with the peerage. Add all the dead baby baronets and its worse than Pokemon.

Its a question of notability. People here keep going on about "deadtree" notability. Those with titles are lovingly documented in standard reference works so meet any sensible "deadtree" criteria.

Anyway surely as an American you approve of some titled people like the Marquis de Lafayette?
tarantino
Disambiguation (disambiguation) … See also Ambiguity
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 10th February 2010, 9:51am) *

And to anticipate the objections:
If it's such a "good" policy, why are there so many bad disambigs?
I've though about listing a healthy cross-section, but there are too many.....

This one makes me go "huh".
And why the hell is an album by Loudon Wainwright III listed in the disambig for Loudon Wainwright?
Isn't this one a bit pointless?
For that matter, this one leads to this blatant advert.....

There's some funky shit goin' down on the wiki, but I'd just as soon not get caught up in it:
*Steve Miller (T-H-L-K-D)
*Jet Airliner (T-H-L-K-D)

That fraction of readers able to find the correct article for Stevie "Guitar" Miller will still read nothing about his 1994 3-disc box set, which I happen to possess (srsly, it's on the shelf with my aforementioned Counting Crows shit) and which contains several previously unreleased songs. Grrrrrrr! hrmph.gif
taiwopanfob
Flybar

The current state of this article is a piece of advertising about a totally non-notable product.

It should be promptly erased as the wiki-spam it is, and a redirect to the helicopter rotor article created in its place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.