Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whale tail
> Wikimedia Discussion > Articles
EricBarbour
What? This. 45k bytes of absurd details and chatty happy-talk, plus 122 references. I daresay that 3 paragraphs would have sufficed.

The trend, popularized by a number of celebrities including Christina Aguilera, Victoria Beckham, Mariah Carey, Melanie Blatt, Paris Hilton, Jordan, Anna Kournikova, and Britney Spears waned within the decade........Melanie Blatt of All Saints was photographed flashing her thong as she got out of a taxi, and Victoria Beckham suggested that her husband enjoyed wearing her G-strings around the home.[8] Britney Spears has been portrayed as a major contributor to the whale tail's popularity.[9][10][11] Her whale tail flashing has been referred to in such creative literature books as Married to a Rock Star by Shemane Nugent,[12] Thong on Fire by Noire,[13] The Magical Breasts of Britney Spears by Ryan G. Van Cleave,[14] and Off-Color by Janet McDonald.[15]

Why must we know all this crap?.......

As usual, Wikipedia force-feeds its readers what its crackpot writers want to feed them, not what is useful information in the real world. Even the bikini article is more restrained and better organized and written.
EricBarbour
And as long as we're talking about thongs, let me mention the most obsessive editor of the whale-tail article, as well as the WP articles for thong, bikini, and several related things.

I speak, of course, of Bengali editor Aditya Kabir (T-C-L-K-R-D) . I have to think he loves being able to talk on WP about something (thongs) that would perhaps get him tossed into jail back in Bangladesh? Why doesn't he spend that time fixing the rather tortured English in so many Bangladesh articles on en-wiki? (example)
Viridae
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 12th February 2010, 3:31pm) *

As usual, Wikipedia force-feeds its readers what its crackpot writers want to feed them, not what is useful information in the real world.

Hardly force feeding.
Somey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 11th February 2010, 10:31pm) *
As usual, Wikipedia force-feeds its readers what its crackpot writers want to feed them, not what is useful information in the real world.

Well, exactly. This article should be about the Cocteau Twins' song, not some slang term for how a woman's underwear looks in certain positions.

The song's from 1986, so not only is it a nicer subject, it was there first!

(I suppose it's really more of a "tone poem," but ehh, whatever.)
everyking
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 12th February 2010, 5:31am) *

What? This. 45k bytes of absurd details and chatty happy-talk, plus 122 references. I daresay that 3 paragraphs would have sufficed.

The trend, popularized by a number of celebrities including Christina Aguilera, Victoria Beckham, Mariah Carey, Melanie Blatt, Paris Hilton, Jordan, Anna Kournikova, and Britney Spears waned within the decade........Melanie Blatt of All Saints was photographed flashing her thong as she got out of a taxi, and Victoria Beckham suggested that her husband enjoyed wearing her G-strings around the home.[8] Britney Spears has been portrayed as a major contributor to the whale tail's popularity.[9][10][11] Her whale tail flashing has been referred to in such creative literature books as Married to a Rock Star by Shemane Nugent,[12] Thong on Fire by Noire,[13] The Magical Breasts of Britney Spears by Ryan G. Van Cleave,[14] and Off-Color by Janet McDonald.[15]

As usual, Wikipedia force-feeds its readers what its crackpot writers want to feed them, not what is useful information in the real world. Even the bikini article is more restrained and better organized and written.

Let the record show that Eric feels readers should have to go elsewhere to learn about the "whale tail". If there's nowhere else to go--oh well.
Somey
QUOTE(everyking @ Thu 11th February 2010, 11:05pm) *
Let the record show that Eric feels readers should have to go elsewhere to learn about the "whale tail". If there's nowhere else to go--oh well.

Put me down for that too. If it's not about the Cocteau Twins, I'm just not interested.
Viridae
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 12th February 2010, 4:09pm) *

Put me down for that too. If it's not about the Cocteau Twins, I'm just not interested.

I don't think that was Everyking's point.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 12th February 2010, 12:39am) *

Have you noticed that he's sort of run out of material now that his "I should be an admin again" act has played out? dry.gif
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 12th February 2010, 2:11pm) *

Have you noticed that he's sort of run out of material now that his "I should be an admin again" act has played out? dry.gif

Give him time, he's only been an admin for a month. Not long enough for the traditional next riff once "I wanna be an admin and those nasty people opposed me!" has played out; "the little people don't respect my authority!". Give him another couple of weeks.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 12th February 2010, 9:11am) *

There is no True Believer like the Wiki-Prodigal Son. The Fatted Calf left-overs are are freezer-burned and green with mold — and everyone else is puking at the sight of them — but Everyking just goes on & on & on like Last Thanksgiving's Turkey.

Jon sick.gif
Lar

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 12th February 2010, 4:09pm) *

I suppose not, but it's still a good point just the same.

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 11th February 2010, 11:31pm) *

What? This. 45k bytes of absurd details and chatty happy-talk, plus 122 references.

122 references for an important topic like this one, is not unreasonable. What's unreasonable is asking for just one reference three years after a BLP is created... Because, you know, someone's feelings might get hurt if we deleted an unreferenced (and possibly incorrect) BLP. And then who would be there to add reference 123 to this masterpiece?
thekohser
Folks, this is important, important stuff, with social implications: Social impact of thong underwear.

wtf.gif
carbuncle
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 12th February 2010, 5:05am) *

They could go to the popular Urban Dictionary site, but they should be wary of believing what they read there because anyone can edit it...
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Lar @ Fri 12th February 2010, 7:03am) *
122 references for an important topic like this one, is not unreasonable.

"important topic"?....... biggrin.gif

You funny, funny guy.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 12th February 2010, 10:27am) *

Folks, this is important, important stuff, with social implications: Social impact of thong underwear.

Which has now run its course, leaving only bad memories. The thong is ended but the malady lingers on. pinch.gif

Another oldie but goodie.
taiwopanfob

Let the record show that Everyking has poor reading comprehension skills: Mr. Barbour said you could reduce the article to 3 paragraphs, not delete it entirely.

The article is an excellent case study of "inclusionism". It is the vision of Wikipedia that drives the kooks like Everyking: every article would look like an incurable scatterbrain wrote it. Robots, follow along:

1) google up "whale tail"
2) paste random sentences from random hits to random positions into the article
3) carefully cite each reference for brownie points

Woe to anyone who comes along and tries to correct the problems here, as removing material is the only way forward.
everyking
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Sat 13th February 2010, 1:45am) *

Let the record show that Everyking has poor reading comprehension skills: Mr. Barbour said you could reduce the article to 3 paragraphs, not delete it entirely.

The article is an excellent case study of "inclusionism". It is the vision of Wikipedia that drives the kooks like Everyking: every article would look like an incurable scatterbrain wrote it. Robots, follow along:

1) google up "whale tail"
2) paste random sentences from random hits to random positions into the article
3) carefully cite each reference for brownie points

Woe to anyone who comes along and tries to correct the problems here, as removing material is the only way forward.

Again, this attitude shows no consideration for the reader and no consideration for the fundamental purpose of the encyclopedia. "Oh, you want more information? Well, three paragraphs is all we're going to give you! You want more than that, go read...I don't know, Urban Dictionary or something." The most important thing that distinguishes Wikipedia from a traditional encyclopedia is its breadth and depth of coverage. That's what makes Wikipedia so brilliantly compatible with the needs of the information age. "Inclusionism" is in fact the very heart and soul of the project.

Deletionists already have encyclopedias perfectly suited to their desires, but evidently their fondness for limitations on the availability of information is not broadly shared by ordinary people.
taiwopanfob
QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 13th February 2010, 4:28am) *
Again, this attitude shows no consideration for the reader and no consideration for the fundamental purpose of the encyclopedia. "Oh, you want more information? Well, three paragraphs is all we're going to give you! You want more than that, go read...I don't know, Urban Dictionary or something." The most important thing that distinguishes Wikipedia from a traditional encyclopedia is its breadth and depth of coverage. That's what makes Wikipedia so brilliantly compatible with the needs of the information age. "Inclusionism" is in fact the very heart and soul of the project.

Allow me, Everyking, to re-write your answer here in inclusionist terms.

Shockingly, this attitude shows no consideration for the reader and no consideration for the fundamental purpose of the encyclopedia. "Oh, you want more information? Well, three paragraphs is all we're going to give you! You want more than that, go read...I don't know, Urban Dictionary or something." The most important thing that distinguishes Wikipedia from a traditional encyclopedia is its breadth and depth of coverage. That's what makes Wikipedia so brilliantly compatible with the needs of the information age. "Inclusionism" is in fact the very heart and soul of the project.

Only this nefarious attitude shows no consideration for the reader and no consideration for the fundamental purpose of the encyclopedia. "Oh, you want more information? Well, three paragraphs is all we're going to give you! You want more than that, go read...I don't know, Urban Dictionary or something." The most important thing that distinguishes Wikipedia from a traditional encyclopedia is its breadth and depth of coverage. That's what makes Wikipedia so brilliantly compatible with the needs of the information age. "Inclusionism" is in fact the very heart and soul of the project.

I could go on. But, you see, do I need to? One paragraph is more than enough to demonstrate your own complete retardation re: editing, writing, information and its value.

Deletionists already have encyclopedias perfectly suited to their desires, but evidently their fondness for limitations on the availability of information is not broadly shared by ordinary people.

You are beyond stupid.

Editors are human powered data compression algorithms. Instead of 5,000 words of incoherent, rambling, run-on, useless drivel -- even if carefully referenced -- they can write 300 and actually better inform the reader.

You and your gang of idiots are incapable of this job. Deletionists? No, these people you are trying to insult are Structualists, and you miserable fucks aren't much better than mean-spirited vandals. You scribble idiot trivia across the face of knowledge, and cry foul when your intellectual betters rightly sandblast it.
Tarc
Man, there's a ton of thong pics on the Commons.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Thongs

This article needs a gallery. evilgrin.gif
everyking
QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Sat 13th February 2010, 6:08am) *

You are beyond stupid.

Editors are human powered data compression algorithms. Instead of 5,000 words of incoherent, rambling, run-on, useless drivel -- even if carefully referenced -- they can write 300 and actually better inform the reader.

You and your gang of idiots are incapable of this job. Deletionists? No, these people you are trying to insult are Structualists, and you miserable fucks aren't much better than mean-spirited vandals. You scribble idiot trivia across the face of knowledge, and cry foul when your intellectual betters rightly sandblast it.

You don't seem to understand that there should be no conflict between detail and summary. A three paragraph article on the whale tail sounds fine to me: that can be the lead section. If you just want a summary, you can stop reading as soon as you get to the end of the lead. If you want detail, you can keep reading. Your solution serves only one type of reader; my solution serves both.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 12th February 2010, 10:38pm) *

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Sat 13th February 2010, 6:08am) *

You are beyond stupid.

You don't seem to understand that there should be no conflict between detail and summary. A three paragraph article on the whale tail sounds fine to me: that can be the lead section. If you just want a summary, you can stop reading as soon as you get to the end of the lead. If you want detail, you can keep reading. Your solution serves only one type of reader; my solution serves both.

You have a point, if only WP articles were constructed like that. Almost all of them are not. It's damned difficult to abstract and summarize. Most of the people who do it well, are off doing something else.

Apparently. ermm.gif
Somey
QUOTE(everyking @ Fri 12th February 2010, 11:38pm) *
You don't seem to understand that there should be no conflict between detail and summary. A three paragraph article on the whale tail sounds fine to me: that can be the lead section.

Good idea - just try to implement it! laugh.gif

Besides, I just checked the article again - it's been two days, and still no mention of the Cocteau Twins, the people who actually first used the term in a cultural context. What does it take for you so-called "inclusionists" to twig to what's really important in terms of historical value, and start including some information that's actually worth knowing?

Not to mention the fact that the song is a lot more pleasant than having your pants fall down below your underwear.
Krimpet
QUOTE(Tarc @ Sat 13th February 2010, 12:17am) *

There's also Category:Panty line, which is a personality-rights disaster waiting to happen. I doubt this woman thought when she was going out for a stroll one day that her unfortunate choice of clothing colors would be preserved for posterity as part of the Sum of All Human Knowledge. dry.gif
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)
QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 12th February 2010, 5:03am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 11th February 2010, 10:31pm) *

Well, exactly. This article should be about the Cocteau Twins' song, not some slang term for how a woman's underwear looks in certain positions.

The song's from 1986, so not only is it a nicer subject, it was there first!

(I suppose it's really more of a "tone poem," but ehh, whatever.)

boing.gif
taiwopanfob
QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 13th February 2010, 5:38am) *

Here, then, is an editing job for you:

Summary: Everyking is stupid.

Detail: Everyking is stupid. Really, really, really stupid. As of this writing, no human on Earth has been able to uncover evidence he is capable of considered thought at all. Other people are stupid too. Some aircraft designs are stupid, as are some pieces of public art. Cat's. however, are not stupid and you, the reader, would be stupid to even suggest such a thing in its presence: those claws and teeth exist for a purpose.

In this case, like the article on "whale tails", we have a situation where the detail can be completely erased, with absolutely no loss of information, but a huge benefit to the reader: we don't have to be redundantly and abundantly and pointlessly redundantly and abundantly and pointlessly redundantly and abundantly and pointlessly repetitive.
Trick cyclist

Why shouldnt there be an article on each and every man whos ever played first class cricket? "Oh, you want more information? Well, selected people who pass some arbitrary set of notability criteria drawn up by people who know nothing about cricket is all we're going to give you! You want more than that, go read...I don't know, Cricinfo or something."
Somey
QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 13th February 2010, 4:21am) *
("Whale of a tale" video excised for brevity)

Not bad, but it's a different spelling of "tail," so that completely changes the meaning of the phrase. I mean, if you're going to include that, you might as well just include A Whaler's Tale by David Hawthorn Cardno, written in the 1920's, or any other tale about whales, such as Moby Dick or "Hunters of the Dark Sea," or the movies Free Willy and Orca, the Killer Whale.

I stand by my original point: If the article is going to be about whale tails, the Cocteau Twins must be given credit for there to be any historical validity to it.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 13th February 2010, 12:40pm) *
I stand by my original point: If the article is going to be about whale tails, the Cocteau Twins must be given credit for there to be any historical validity to it.

Feel free to add it to that article. Have fun! yak.gif
Somey
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 14th February 2010, 12:06am) *

Well, it's not like I especially want Wikipedia articles to have any validity...

And of course, the fact isn't lost on me that anyone who adds that information to the article now might be accused of "proxying for a WR staff member," or even actually being me. And let's face it, what's the point? The people who control that article aren't likely to be Cocteau Twins fans, or to have even heard of them. They'll insist that since the song has nothing to do with underwear, it isn't relevant to their personal interests, which I would imagine are almost exclusively underwear-related. And indeed, they'll be right.
Obesity
QUOTE(Krimpet @ Sat 13th February 2010, 4:23am) *

I doubt this woman thought when she was going out for a stroll one day that her unfortunate choice of clothing colors would be preserved for posterity as part of the Sum of All Human Knowledge. dry.gif

Unfortunate for whom?

You should check out thecandidboard.com. You have to pay about 20 dollars, I believe, but the videos are pretty cool and very authentic.

Wikipedia has some catching up to do, if you ask me.
Trick cyclist
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 14th February 2010, 6:06am) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 13th February 2010, 12:40pm) *

Why do we pretend that WP has a monopoly? There are lots of other wikis out there that could host the sort of article people want, or even that Somey wants. Why doesn't somebody copy the article to Wikipedia Review or Encyc (or even Conservapedia?) and let Somey play with it there?
QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 13th February 2010, 8:40pm) *

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 13th February 2010, 4:21am) *
("Whale of a tale" video excised for brevity)

Not bad, but it's a different spelling of "tail," so that completely changes the meaning of the phrase. I mean, if you're going to include that, you might as well just include A Whaler's Tale by David Hawthorn Cardno, written in the 1920's, or any other tale about whales, such as Moby Dick or "Hunters of the Dark Sea," or the movies Free Willy and Orca, the Killer Whale.

I know...I just love that song...and the movie it came from and the book that inspired it and have since I was too young even to be a Wiki Adminion.

You do too, admit it.
And sing it wit me now!

There was old man Nemo, feeds his crew on worms & fishes!
Eels for breakfast Slimy cold on seaweed dishes!
When they ate it, they knew it wasn't beef,
But eat they did the brisket squid, a-smellin' like a reef!

Somey
QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Tue 16th February 2010, 3:51am) *
I know...I just love that song...and the movie it came from and the book that inspired it and have since I was too young even to be a Wiki Adminion.

You're thinking of "A Whale of a Tail," sung by Kirk Douglas in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and you don't even have the right song I'm afraid. The presence of the words "of a" in the middle of the title clearly disqualify it in this context.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/classicdisn...haleofatale.htm

The ability to search IMDb is no substitute for having extensive direct knowledge of significant portions of the Western cultural milieu! hrmph.gif
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 16th February 2010, 6:29pm) *

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Tue 16th February 2010, 3:51am) *

You're thinking of "A Whale of a Tail," sung by Kirk Douglas in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and you don't even have the right song I'm afraid. The presence of the words "of a" in the middle of the title clearly disqualify it in this context.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/classicdisn...haleofatale.htm

The ability to search IMDb is no substitute for having extensive direct knowledge of significant portions of the Western cultural milieu! hrmph.gif

Indeed...but some of today's pop culture artifacts will become tomorrow's classic culture. After they make stops at the "Retro Cafe", "Nostalgiaville" (or NostalgiaTOWN if you prefer Milton;) and the "Beloved Family Favorites Nursing Home", of course.

You may continue to pedantically waste your time on some idiotic piece of nouveau sexist slang.
I shall watch TCM.
NotARepublican55

"The Magical Breasts of Britney Spears" by Ryan G. Van Cleave

God you can't make this shit up. laugh.gif

And lookey, I must've missed this possible BLP violation. Awesome.

Victoria Beckham suggested that her husband David Beckham enjoyed wearing her G-strings around the home.
NotARepublican55
QUOTE(Krimpet @ Sat 13th February 2010, 3:23am) *

QUOTE(Tarc @ Sat 13th February 2010, 12:17am) *

There's also Category:Panty line, which is a personality-rights disaster waiting to happen. I doubt this woman thought when she was going out for a stroll one day that her unfortunate choice of clothing colors would be preserved for posterity as part of the Sum of All Human Knowledge. dry.gif

I seriously doubt the uploader took that pic just for Wikipedia. Did he really just wake up one day and think "Hmm Wikipedia is missing a pic for their pantyline article. I know! I'll take a walk to the park and see if there are any girls with their pantylines showing so I can take a pic of one and uploaded it. We all need to pitch in to improve the encyclopedia."

Walking around the neighborhood block discretely snapping pics of girls with their pantylines showing is probably a long-time hobby of his. wacko.gif

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 12th February 2010, 5:31am) *

I think they shouldn't be learning about the "whale tail" at all - they should be spending that time learning how to get a girl back to their apartment so they wouldn't have to use WP's "whale tail" article as wank material in the 1st place. evilgrin.gif
Trick cyclist
QUOTE(NotARepublican55 @ Fri 19th February 2010, 1:05am) *

And lookey, I must've missed this possible BLP violation. Awesome.

Victoria Beckham suggested that her husband David Beckham enjoyed wearing her G-strings around the home.

Yes thats a particularly daft Internet rumour. It has been denied most strongly.

http://showbiz.sky.com/Beckham-And-His-G-String-Woes

"In a week of denials and counterclaims by David Beckham, he has finally knocked the biggest rumour on the head. The England soccer superstar has point blank denied that he wears his wife's G-strings!"

In any case, his wife had none to spare.

http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/victoria-...-as-hair-bands/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.